Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme4 having issues with add-on cards

photonbuddy is offline Junior Member

Question Z77 Extreme4 having issues with add-on cards

Hi All,

I have a Z77 Extreme4 and I am having some issues with PCI-e x1 cards.

First of all, I'll list all the cards I have in my system:

1 x nVidia 9500GT - currently installed in second PCI-e x16 slot
    2 x Dual DVB-T TV tuner cards - currently installed in the 2 PCI-e x1 slots
    1 x PCI 4-port USB card - currently installed in second PCI slot - Pretty annoyed at the lack of USB ports available on this board, but that's another story

Is there a better way to have these cards installed, especially as I'd like to install a 3rd PCI-e x1 TV tuner card?

I'm also having issues with the TV tuner card in PCI-e x1 slot 1 vanishing after resuming from sleep. About 30% of the time, both cards vanish. A reboot restores them.

Also, I find if I switch off the power completely, I lose the TV tuner card in the PCI-e x1 slot 1. To get it back, I have to go into the BIOS, and without changing anything, select Save and Exit, and both tuner's are back.

I should say, that I didn't re-install Windows after upgrading from my Gigabyte P55a-UD4 board. This may be causing the issue, and I do plan to re-install soon - a job I really hate doing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme4 having issues with add-on cards

So you simply put your OS drive from your previous PC on the new board/CPU? You're lucky it works at all. Did you update drivers and software like IME? The network chip driver had to be updated, it won't work otherwise. What about chipset (inf) files? Plus Windows should start complaining about registering it again, since the mobo was changed.

Without a fresh OS installation, with the correct (required) drivers and software, coming to any conclusions about what is not working right is impossible.

I know the recommendation is to do a complete re-install of windows, but that's a massive pain when you haven't done such a thing for a couple of years.

I did install all the new drivers (I'm not that much of a novice!), and un-installed the old drivers where possible, and apart from this one issue, the system runs great.

I've had this issue with TV tuner cards before, when I had a Gigabyte GA965-DS3P board, and upgrading to the P55A-UD4 fixed that issue (A fresh install on both of those occasions).

- wardog - is online now Spam Killer

Quote Originally Posted by photonbuddy View Post
    Also, I find if I switch off the power completely, I lose the TV tuner card in the PCI-e x1 slot 1. To get it back, I have to go into the BIOS, and without changing anything, select Save and Exit, and both tuner's are back.
    When I read things like this my first impression is to recommend replacing the CMOS battery.
    Especially when someone states "I find if I switch off the power completely ...... I have to go into the BIOS, and without changing anything, select Save and Exit,".

And I'm with parsec . Do a re-install. Massive pain or not, it alleviates second guessing and eases troubleshooting issues should they arise afterwards.

That and the HE500 is getting a wee bit long in the tooth for todays systems. Three rails @ 17A(ea) and then the add-on cards you've installed pulling from the 12V1 rail too. I'd add a PSU to my shopping list.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    When I read things like this my first impression is to recommend replacing the CMOS battery.
    Especially when someone states "I find if I switch off the power completely ...... I have to go into the BIOS, and without changing anything, select Save and Exit,".
    I would think this as well, but if it was a battery problem, that usually means all the BIOS settings go back to default, but this isn't happening. It remembers all the changes made. I might put a meter on it and see what it's rea

And I'm with parsec . Do a re-install. Massive pain or not, it alleviates second guessing and eases troubleshooting issues should they arise afterwards.
    I've decided to do this. Just a matter of finding the time.

Any advice on how to get 3 PCI-e x1 cards running?

parsec is online now Senior Member

Have you checked Device Manager for any issues? If you don't have the correct IME software installed, you'll find an error referring to a PCI problem.

As wardog said, all those cards using power right from the mother board, rather than cables from the PS might be a problem. I wouldn't think those TV tuner cards used much power, but who knows?

Did you try reinstalling the drivers for those cards?

Any advice on how to get 3 PCI-e x1 cards running?
    Change Link State Power Management to Off in the PCI Express section of your currently chosen Power Options config and test. Too aggressive here and the cards/system will need to re-sync before becoming "active'. Could be in re-syncing something is going awry and hanging.

Also, I'd shy away from using either S4 or S5 sleep states. I'd imagine either of those sleep states wouldn't help your situation any.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Change Link State Power Management to Off in the PCI Express section of your currently chosen Power Options config and test. Too aggressive here and the cards/system will need to re-sync before becoming "active'. Could be in re-syncing something is going awry and hanging.
    Sorry, hit Post and then the caboose part of my train of thought caught up.

Could be in re-syncing something is going awry and hanging. And in hanging I'm left wondering if this might explain the reboot, enter bios, bios save, and all is well situation you describe/experience.

Unhappy Re: Z77 Extreme4 having issues with add-on cards

I spent today doing fresh install of Windows but the problem persists.

Any other ideas on how to fix this issue?

I'm wondering if it could be a power issue. I have found that if I hibernate and resume, I'll get 1 or both (usually both) the cards to show-up again. Is resuming from hibernate so similar to a shutdown/restart that the system delays the HDD's powering on long enough for the cards to power-up, whereas coming from sleep, everything gets started at once?

Not sure if the HDD's run off the same rail as the motherboard does.

I might try unplugging the HDD's and see if that cures the problem.

Is resuming from hibernate so similar to a shutdown/restart that the system delays the HDD's powering on long enough for the cards to power-up, whereas coming from sleep, everything gets started at once?
    Also, I'd shy away from using either S4 or S5 sleep states. I'd imagine either of those sleep states wouldn't help your situation any.
    Sleep States explained HERE. There are four "sections' under this page when on the left side of the page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information