Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel i7 Z77 Extreme6 - Fails to lauch AXTU

scn101 is offline Junior Member

Default Intel i7 Z77 Extreme6 - Fails to lauch AXTU

Strange problem. The AXTU tuning/fan control program has stopped working, it no longer launches. The fancy "AXTU" logo starts but then a small dialog box window opens with only a red X in it and an OK button. AXTU quits immediately after hitting OK.

I installed it as an admin and run it as an admin.

It used to launch and work fine. I un-installed it, reinstalled it, used CCCleaner to clean the registry, etc., but nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Windows 8 Pro
    AXTU v 0.1.125
    Bios v2.60

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Intel i7 Z77 Extreme6 - Fails to lauch AXTU

I've never seen that happen, but I'm not using Windows 8. I noticed that the 2.60 UEFI/BIOS for your board is very new, dated 1/23. Did this problem happen before you installed 2.60?

On a side note, I see that the 2.60 BIOS/UEFI notes say: 1. Update RAID ROM. 2. Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup. I want this for the Z77 Ex 4 board!!!

The issue started under bios v2.40. I was hoping v2.60 would fix the issue (not likely but not hard to try). Though I just loaded v2.60 I really didn't see anything new it offered and I am not sure what: 1. Update RAID ROM. 2. Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup is really supposed to do!

Those updates should be unrelated to AXTU. The RAID ROM, or more correctly the RAID Option ROM, is code for the Intel RAID configuration utility that runs during POST if the SATA mode is set to RAID. That code is stored with the UEFI/BIOS code, and is part of the UEFI/BIOS file. The Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup is a new feature/option that I assume is used to allow a RAID volume to be used when booting in UEFI/GPT mode. I tried a UEFI boot with a RAID volume recently (without this new feature on my board) with mixed results. It works but the partitions on the volume are not quite right.

I can't think of anything else to solve your problem right now, but I'll think about it.

I am running RAID5 but in bios mode. I don't think I can just switch to UEFI boot and expect Windows 8 to still boot. If you can think of any to try to get AXTU to run, let me know. Thanks.

HEY, just noticed something that might be important. First, I use a Z77 Extreme 4 board, which is very similar to yours.

Your Z77 Extreme 6 board's download page has AXTU V 0.1250 for both Windows 7 and 8. My board has AXTU V 0.1257. Is your's an older version? Then again, I checked several boards like ours, the Extreme 3, 9, and 11, plus the OC Formula. They all have different versions of AXTU, which likely matches the different features on the boards. But trying one or another might be worth it.

AFAIK, you cannot just switch to UEFI mode with an OS already installed in standard MBR/BIOS boot mode. I did a clean installation to try it.

Actually, I just learned that my UEFI Windows 7 installation worked fine, the partitions are correct. I cannot boot Windows 7 in secure mode, because it can't boot that way.

I tried other versions and they all have the same issue, go figure. I wish the error dialog box has some info in it. Is AXTU relying on JAVA or some other program that may have changed? My hardware and OS are the same. One day it works the next it doesn't. I even rolled my computer back via a restore point and is still doesn't work.

the_weeze is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by scn101 View Post
    Strange problem. The AXTU tuning/fan control program has stopped working, it no longer launches. The fancy "AXTU" logo starts but then a small dialog box window opens with only a red X in it and an OK button. AXTU quits immediately after hitting OK.

I installed it as an admin and run it as an admin.

It used to launch and work fine. I un-installed it, reinstalled it, used CCCleaner to clean the registry, etc., but nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Windows 8 Pro
    AXTU v 0.1.125
    Bios v2.60
    I have the exact same problem with AXTU (get the logo, then the red x dialogue box that is empty except for the OK button), and it occurred after I installed UEFI version 2.60 this morning. Everything with AXTU worked fine before. This is most definitely a new issue. BTW, I have the Extreme6 with Windows 8 x64. Never had a problem until the latest UEFI release.

the_weeze, thanks for posting your situation. The OP and you have very similar PCs, and the important similarity is looking like Windows 8, or something related to Windows 8, like a different driver version.

I'll be doing a Windows 8 installation soon myself, so we'll see if AXTU fails on my ASR board PC.

Well, fresh Windows 8 Pro 64 bit installation, and so far AXTU is working fine. I've noticed that there are apparently many different versions of AXTU, so that may be the difference. The Z77 Ex 4 and Ex 6 download pages have different versions, but no difference between Windows 7 and 8 for either board. Otherwise, I don't know what the problem is.

Off topic, but I'm not sure why some people are complaining about the lack of drivers being listed for use with Windows 8. As I've learned, Windows 8 has some of them built in. All the USB 3.0 drivers are native to Windows 8, for example.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information