Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 won't flash from usb flash drive.

sparker366 is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 won't flash from usb flash drive.

I just got this board and went to flash it from a usb flash drive and couldn't. I put the instant flash file on the drive and put it in my front port on my case and it said no valid files. I had to use the internet flash to flash the board.

Now I didn't try any of the rear ports yet cause the board is flashed. Not sure why this is happening. The drive being used is a 2.0 drive and the port on the case is 3.0

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 won't flash from usb flash drive.

Two possibilities:

1. You didn't mention this, but the BIOS download file is a .zip compressed file, that must be unzipped before the BIOS file can be used. The unzipped file is what is used to flash the BIOS. For example, the Instant Flash file for BIOS 2.80 will be listed as a type '80' file when it is unzipped, and be 8MB in size (8192KB.)

2. When you are in the BIOS, which you are when using Instant Flash, the OS in not active, so no drivers are active. The only USB ports that are guaranteed be active are the USB 2.0 ports on the rear I/O panel. The USB 3.0 ports will most likely not be active, or any USB ports on the PC case that are connected to the mother board USB headers. It's possible that some USB ports of this kind might be active on some boards, but they usually are not.

That seems pretty lame to me it won't see the usb headers. Its the bios it should see all the ports irregardless. But it is what it is I will have to live with it and use a damn rear port which is lame. Internet flash works fine so may just continue to use that.

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

What's the USB stick formatted as? It has to be FAT32/16/12. No NTFS, exFAT, etc etc.

(cough) Internet Flash? (cough) Really?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

parsec is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sparker366 View Post
    That seems pretty lame to me it won't see the usb headers. Its the bios it should see all the ports irregardless. But it is what it is I will have to live with it and use a damn rear port which is lame. Internet flash works fine so may just continue to use that.
    If it was only that easy. Have you had a board that lets you use any USB port, or the USB 3.0 ports when in the BIOS? All the boards I've used are like that. The BIOS and OS are two very different things.

Its fat 32 formatted.

I see no issues with the internet flash. What can go wrong? You are in the bios and all its doing is downloading the bios to your comp then Flashing it once its local. Its not like its downloading and flashing it at the same time.

It is what it is. I just thought since it was the bios it would have no issues seeing any port. Its the bios not an OS that needs drivers. That is just the way I see. This is also my first board with usb 3.0 headers. My previous board was the z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 that had only 2.0 headers thus it worked.

I have issues getting to my rear ports due to the placement of my computer. So I will get a hub and run it and that should allow me to plug the flash drive in and get it working

Thread Information