Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: RAM issues

  1. #1
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default RAM issues

    So i have been having issues with my RAM
    Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model PXD38G2400C11K

    I looked and it seems that the board is not compatible with the RAM my computer runs the RAM but only sees the first two sticks not the other 8 gigs and also only runs it @1066 or 1333.... is there anything i can do beside buy new ram


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    havasuphto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: RAM issues

    You won't get any answers until you list your system specs, and your motherboard.

  3. #3
    - wardog -'s Avatar
    - wardog - is offline Spam Killer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: RAM issues

    As havasuphto implied, so that us other Users here know what you have there system-wise, please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' and select Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

    After you enter and save your system specs please post screenshots of CPU-Z's SPD and Memory tabs for each of the two kits/pairs of memory you have.
    ie: install the first kit and take screenshot, then install the second kit and take a screenshot

    You can have two instances of CPU-Z running side by side(one w/SPD, one w/Memory) so that you only need two screenshots, one of each pair.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

    Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

  4. #4
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: RAM issues

    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    As havasuphto implied, so that us other Users here know what you have there system-wise, please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' and select Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

    After you enter and save your system specs please post screenshots of CPU-Z's SPD and Memory tabs for each of the two kits/pairs of memory you have.
    ie: install the first kit and take screenshot, then install the second kit and take a screenshot

    You can have two instances of CPU-Z running side by side(one w/SPD, one w/Memory) so that you only need two screenshots, one of each pair.
    thanks i will knock out the CPU-Z right now and i updated my specs

  5. #5
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: RAM issues

    Quote Originally Posted by helpame View Post
    thanks i will knock out the CPU-Z right now and i updated my specs

    all 4 sticks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #6
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: RAM issues

    2-1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: RAM issues

    2-2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    kick's Avatar
    kick is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Europe,the wild wild west.
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: RAM issues

    Well 1st thing as you know,just because ram hasnt been tested to work on your board,doesnt necessarily mean it wont.

    2. dont mix up the ram setsif they were bought as 2 pairs keep the pairs together.

    3. sandy cpu's dont have as good a mc on chip as ivy ones..so Ive read..probably evil propaganda

    You may not be able to run the memory at more than 2133,or close to that if you vary the base clock.

    4. 1.65v is the most you want running thru the memory long term and 4 sticks may need more than that to work together sucessfully.

    5.Your win 7 home edition..what version is it? the full description?

    6.test both pairs,if they came in pairs and not 4 "matched" sticks to make sure they work,in both the slots A1 B1 and A2 B2..use memtest also.

    7.If they all seem to work/test ok at 1300(at what timings and v are u using?)
    Then
    (a) load up a program like sisoft sandra or aida 64 and read the memory chips.
    Is there only one xmp timing on them? sometimes there is more than one xmp.cpuz only shows 4 "timings" I think?

    Anyway on Aida 64 read and write down the secondary memory timings for the all jedecs and the xmp,or xmp's if there is more than one.

    If that xmp is the only one on the memory.. accept for now at least that it wont work and concentrate on

    A getting 2 sticks of memory to work at 1600 using the jedec timings for..838 and 1.5v.
    Since you now have the secondary jedec 7 timings for the memory written down you can enter those manually in the dram configuration uefi section.
    Keep applying voltages to the memory from say 1.5v-1.6v to see if they work ok.

    If you get the 2 sticks working try the jedec #6 timings..cas 10 at 1600 mhz and see if they work ok.

    If you get some joy ..you might be able to try 1866 with variations on the 11 and 10 timings .

    Then youcould go back to the lowest voltage and "loosest" timings 2 sticks will work at and try 4 and if you get 4 working..repeat the process with a gradual voltage inc and see how "fast you can get 4 sticks running.

    You could at some stage try a small increase in vtt..just to see if it helps (when trying the 4 sticks).. but if you cant get 2 sticks running at 1600 with 10-10-10-27 at say a maximum of 1.63v then you could be "micturitioning against the prevailing airflow" trying to get 4 sticks going at 1600 or higher and might be better off returning them.

    edit..oh yeh if trying experimentation on memory timings and speeds.set the xmp read in uefi to auto or disable.
    Last edited by kick; 02-13-2013 at 04:11 AM.
    Current Systems:

    Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

    HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

    hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

  9. #9
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: RAM issues

    Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    Well 1st thing as you know,just because ram hasnt been tested to work on your board,doesnt necessarily mean it wont.

    2. dont mix up the ram setsif they were bought as 2 pairs keep the pairs together.

    3. sandy cpu's dont have as good a mc on chip as ivy ones..so Ive read..probably evil propaganda

    You may not be able to run the memory at more than 2133,or close to that if you vary the base clock.

    4. 1.65v is the most you want running thru the memory long term and 4 sticks may need more than that to work together sucessfully.

    5.Your win 7 home edition..what version is it? the full description?

    6.test both pairs,if they came in pairs and not 4 "matched" sticks to make sure they work,in both the slots A1 B1 and A2 B2..use memtest also.

    7.If they all seem to work/test ok at 1300(at what timings and v are u using?)
    Then
    (a) load up a program like sisoft sandra or aida 64 and read the memory chips.
    Is there only one xmp timing on them? sometimes there is more than one xmp.cpuz only shows 4 "timings" I think?

    Anyway on Aida 64 read and write down the secondary memory timings for the all jedecs and the xmp,or xmp's if there is more than one.

    If that xmp is the only one on the memory.. accept for now at least that it wont work and concentrate on

    A getting 2 sticks of memory to work at 1600 using the jedec timings for..838 and 1.5v.
    Since you now have the secondary jedec 7 timings for the memory written down you can enter those manually in the dram configuration uefi section.
    Keep applying voltages to the memory from say 1.5v-1.6v to see if they work ok.

    If you get the 2 sticks working try the jedec #6 timings..cas 10 at 1600 mhz and see if they work ok.

    If you get some joy ..you might be able to try 1866 with variations on the 11 and 10 timings .

    Then youcould go back to the lowest voltage and "loosest" timings 2 sticks will work at and try 4 and if you get 4 working..repeat the process with a gradual voltage inc and see how "fast you can get 4 sticks running.

    You could at some stage try a small increase in vtt..just to see if it helps (when trying the 4 sticks).. but if you cant get 2 sticks running at 1600 with 10-10-10-27 at say a maximum of 1.63v then you could be "micturitioning against the prevailing airflow" trying to get 4 sticks going at 1600 or higher and might be better off returning them.

    edit..oh yeh if trying experimentation on memory timings and speeds.set the xmp read in uefi to auto or disable.
    **** me bro.. ima need a beer so you want me to try and manipulate the timing and voltages to get it to run at 2133? with everything auto it only allows 1066 and 1333 i wanna share don't quote me

  10. #10
    - wardog -'s Avatar
    - wardog - is offline Spam Killer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: RAM issues

    Quote Originally Posted by helpame View Post
    all 4 sticks
    In looking at this pic showing all four sticks installed in Slots 1, 2, 3, and 4, and in your original post where you state "only sees the first two sticks not the other 8 gigs" , can I assume you're running Windows 7 Home Basic x64?

    Windows 7 Home Basic x64 would as you say ""only sees the first two sticks not the other 8 gigs" as that's all Microsoft allows for that particular version. Windows 7 Home Premium x64, the version above Home Basic can see and work fully with 16GB.

    Please see - Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)
    Last edited by - wardog -; 02-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

    Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •