Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock H77 Pro4-M alarm or beeping sound in Windows 8

vandycamp is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock H77 Pro4-M alarm or beeping sound in Windows 8

Hi folks - I recently built a home server (9 hard drives, using FlexRaid) in Windows 8. I'm a relative newbie a this but things went pretty smoothly until recently. Last week, randomly and occasionally, a loud alarm sound (a long continuous beeeeeeeeep) would start. I wouldn't stop and I would have to reboot the box. Then over the last few days, the alarm would start as soon as the box is booted and reaches Windows. I've been running it headless, so I attached it to a screen so I could see if there were any errors during bootup, there's none. Windows still seems to operate fine, but the nonstop beep sound is there. I've been poking around through the manual and haven't found a possible cause. I thought maybe some overheating, but I have the sides off the case and it's sitting in the open and the beep starts right away. I'm at a bit of a loss. Like I said, I'm mostly a newbie but I'm pretty good at following directions if anyone has an idea. Thanks!

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Default Re: ASRock H77 Pro4-M alarm or beeping sound in Windows 8

And yet you mention nothing of temps. What are your temps?

Did you plug in a pc speaker onto the MB's System Panel Header? Or could this beep be generated from another source?

So that us other Users here know what you have there system-wise, please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' and select Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

vandycamp is offline Junior Member

Hi wardog, thanks for the reply.
    System temp as report by SpeedFan is 29C, all other temps at 30C.
    No speakers plugged in anywhere, figured since this was a server, no need.
    I filled out my specs a bit more. As I was looking at the hardware in the rig, my wife, of all people, said something interesting. She pointed out that the beeping only started "when you added those other drives". She's talking about the last 4 I added and connected to the HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL card I have in there. I'm not even using this as real RAID but rather JBOD and then pooling them with FlexRaid in Win8. I have the drives connected with this power cable Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable (PYO4SATA): Electronics and then that's connected to an available slot on the power supply cable. So out of curiosity, I unplugged this cable I'm using Amazon.com: Mini SAS To 4 SATA Cable: Computers & Accessories and voila, no beeping after starting up. I guess it's not the motherboard after all, but possibly something on the RocketRAID card beeping for some unknown reason. Any thoughts are still very welcome, but it doesn't seem like this is an ASRock issue.

parsec is online now Senior Member

I figured it was the RAID card, when I saw that in your system specs.

I would suggest checking the cards manual for circumstances that cause the boards alarm to sound. Could be anything from a real or perceived disk failure, to the card over heating.

Quote Originally Posted by vandycamp View Post
    System temp as report by SpeedFan is 29C, all other temps at 30C.
    No speakers plugged in anywhere, figured since this was a server, no need.
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/PDF/rr...2_12_10_11.pdf
    pg 4
    Code:
    Array Monitors, Alerts and Indicators
     Hard Drive LED Indicators (Activity and Failed) (except RocketRAID 2711/2722)
     SMTP email notification for events and error reporting
     Alarm/Buzzer alerts for drive/array failure
     SAF-TE (I2C) and SGPIO enclosure management
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Once this cause is remedied there, config (and test!) the email alerts so in the future you get a notification email. Peace of mind.

Thread Information