Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

  1. #1
    JasonTD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    5

    Default Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    I want to set my sleep mode to S1 and have read lots of tips saying that I just need to change a setting in the BIOS. I've looked through everything I could find in the BIOS, however, and can't find anything that looks like it would change my sleep mode. Could somebody please help me get this done? I feel like I'm missing something obvious. The ultimate goal is to have the computer sleep (or standby) in a mode that will let me wake it with my USB keyboard and / or mouse.

    Here's what I'm using:

    OS: Windows 7 64 bit
    MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4GHz (OC to 4.3 GHz)
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    - wardog -'s Avatar
    - wardog - is offline Spam Killer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    Well, believe it or not on my Extreme6 I had to do absolutely nothing after my Win7x64 install.

    Heck, after setting the timeout to my liking it wakes from jiggling my Logitech wireless mouse.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

    Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

  3. #3
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    The Z77 EX 4's BIOS does not have a S1 Sleep setting, or really any specifically labeled Sleep state. The best you can do is set "Suspend to RAM" in the ACPI menu, to Auto, which will give you S3 Sleep. That is what wardog is using, and what I use.

    S1 Sleep is not very useful, IMO. In S1, the CPU is still powered up, so the CPU cooler fan, and cooler pump if using water cooling, is still running. All the fans in the PC will be running too, so the PC is still on, but just not doing anything, as the CPU does not execute any instructions. I assume there are reasons for using S1, but for the standard PC user, I don't see the point.

    S2 Sleep removes power from the CPU, but AFAIK the system fans and mother board is still powered up.

    S3 Sleep stores the current state of the PC/OS in RAM, which is read when the PC wakes, and you start up where you left off when entering S3 Sleep. The CPU is powered down completely, so needs no cooling. All fans in the PC are shut off, as well as drives, etc. Power is only applied to RAM memory, to maintain the image of the PC's state that was saved to RAM. If the PC loses power for some reason, then the image stored in RAM is lost, and the PC must be booted again.

    S4 Sleep, or Hibernate, is the same as S3, but also writes the PC's state image to disk. This is used in laptops, but can be used on desktop PCs. The only difference is if power to the PC is lost, the image written to disk is used to restore the PC to its previous state.

    The BIOS of most desktop PCs usually only have the S3 option. Windows has S4/Hibernate enabled by default, but you must select Hibernate when you choose to enter Sleep. S3 or S4 are really the only Sleep states that make sense for a PC user.

  4. #4
    JasonTD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The Z77 EX 4's BIOS does not have a S1 Sleep setting, or really any specifically labeled Sleep state. The best you can do is set "Suspend to RAM" in the ACPI menu, to Auto, which will give you S3 Sleep. That is what wardog is using, and what I use.

    S1 Sleep is not very useful, IMO. In S1, the CPU is still powered up, so the CPU cooler fan, and cooler pump if using water cooling, is still running. All the fans in the PC will be running too, so the PC is still on, but just not doing anything, as the CPU does not execute any instructions. I assume there are reasons for using S1, but for the standard PC user, I don't see the point.

    S2 Sleep removes power from the CPU, but AFAIK the system fans and mother board is still powered up.

    S3 Sleep stores the current state of the PC/OS in RAM, which is read when the PC wakes, and you start up where you left off when entering S3 Sleep. The CPU is powered down completely, so needs no cooling. All fans in the PC are shut off, as well as drives, etc. Power is only applied to RAM memory, to maintain the image of the PC's state that was saved to RAM. If the PC loses power for some reason, then the image stored in RAM is lost, and the PC must be booted again.

    S4 Sleep, or Hibernate, is the same as S3, but also writes the PC's state image to disk. This is used in laptops, but can be used on desktop PCs. The only difference is if power to the PC is lost, the image written to disk is used to restore the PC to its previous state.

    The BIOS of most desktop PCs usually only have the S3 option. Windows has S4/Hibernate enabled by default, but you must select Hibernate when you choose to enter Sleep. S3 or S4 are really the only Sleep states that make sense for a PC user.
    That is incredibly informative, and I really appreciate it. I think S3 must be what I had on my previous computer as well, as the fans definitely shut down when I'd put it into Sleep for that one. If I have it in S3 mode, that should allow me to wake the system up with the keyboard or mouse, right (as opposed to what's happening now, while I'm probably in S4)? I will give the Suspend to RAM setting a try later tonight when I'm back at that computer.

    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    You're welcome, and I should of said that you can wake the PC with the mouse in S3 mode, no problem. A wireless mouse should work fine for that too. You should be able to press any key on the keyboard to wake the PC as well.

  6. #6
    JasonTD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You're welcome, and I should of said that you can wake the PC with the mouse in S3 mode, no problem. A wireless mouse should work fine for that too. You should be able to press any key on the keyboard to wake the PC as well.
    I thought I had replied to this earlier, but I don't see my message posted, so it must have gotten lost. Apologies if this comes through twice.

    I checked the ACPI menu, and Suspend to RAM actually already was set to Auto. However, the keyboard and mouse won't wake the computer from sleep even with it set that way. Is there maybe some sort of setting that is causing the USB devices not to be awake or send the proper signal while the computer is asleep?

    As an aside, am I correct that having Suspend to RAM on Auto will set the sleep mode to S3, but having it Disabled with leave the sleep mode on whatever the default is (which sounds like it's probably S4)?

  7. #7
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    Last question first, since S4, Hibernate, is S3 Sleep (suspend to RAM) with Windows Hibernate enabled (a Windows feature), then disabling Suspend to RAM will not change to S4. When Suspend to RAM is disabled, and I choose Sleep, my PC goes into either S1 or S2 Sleep, since the fans are running and it stays on, but no display to the screen. Impossible for me to tell if it's S1 or S2, maybe a Windows log would show that detail.

    Strange your mouse does not wake the PC, mine always have, including a Logitech M570. Do you have Check Ready Bit and ACPI HPET enabled, those are right below Suspend to RAM. I have everything in the USB menu in the BIOS enabled, if that makes a difference.

    I don't recall needing the following for Sleep, but do you have the software from Logitech installed for your mouse and keyboard? Gaming keyboards are known to act strange at times without their software.

    BTW, how are you activating or starting Sleep?

  8. #8
    JasonTD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Last question first, since S4, Hibernate, is S3 Sleep (suspend to RAM) with Windows Hibernate enabled (a Windows feature), then disabling Suspend to RAM will not change to S4. When Suspend to RAM is disabled, and I choose Sleep, my PC goes into either S1 or S2 Sleep, since the fans are running and it stays on, but no display to the screen. Impossible for me to tell if it's S1 or S2, maybe a Windows log would show that detail.

    Strange your mouse does not wake the PC, mine always have, including a Logitech M570. Do you have Check Ready Bit and ACPI HPET enabled, those are right below Suspend to RAM. I have everything in the USB menu in the BIOS enabled, if that makes a difference.

    I don't recall needing the following for Sleep, but do you have the software from Logitech installed for your mouse and keyboard? Gaming keyboards are known to act strange at times without their software.

    BTW, how are you activating or starting Sleep?
    I do have Check Ready Bit and ACPI HPET enabled. I noticed settings for enabling the USB keyboard and mouse (below those, still in the ACPI menu), but both of those settings specifically refer to S5 mode, so I didn't think they'd apply to this situation. Just to test it, I set those to Enabled (they were Disabled by default), but the computer still wouldn't wake with mouse / keyboard input. I also have everything in the USB menu enabled.

    I do have the software from Logitech installed. I had this same keyboard on my previous computer, so I used the same software (same version and everything) from that one, where I was able to use the keyboard to wake the system.

    I am starting Sleep from the Start menu, by selecting the arrow next to Shutdown and then selecting Sleep. It's the same way I initiated it on my old system, so that procedure at least is the same.

    I have noticed that USB devices in general go through an "off" then "on" sequence when I reboot the computer, and they didn't used to do that on the old one. I noticed this tonight because I have my Hauppauge HD PVR2 connected by USB to the computer, and then I have HDMI running through it from a Xbox 360 to a TV. When I reboot the computer while the TV and Xbox are on, the TV momentarily loses the signal from the Xbox, and the lights temporarily go out on the Hauppauge. The signal comes back and the lights turn back on at the same time the lights on the keyboard and mouse come back on as the system is booting. I'm wondering if there's some strange setting for USB in general during sleep / off / reboot that is causing the weirdness with the waking, but I don't really know what to check.

  9. #9
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    Ok, I just wanted to verify how you were starting Sleep. I'm pretty much out of things to try to fix this. One thing to try, just to verify you can come out of Sleep, if you haven't done this, is when in Sleep, press the power button and see if the PC wakes.

    The only settings left to try are in Windows, in the advanced Power Plan options. You can try setting "USB selective suspend" to off, but I don't need that set for my PC to wake. If you have another mouse, such as a simple wired USB mouse, or even a PS2 mouse, plug that in and see if it can wake the PC.

  10. #10
    kato128 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Setting Sleep Mode to S1 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

    I had this issue when I was using the usb 2.0 ports for my kb and mouse (figured I'd leave the usb 3.0 ports free). Switching to the top set of usb 3.0 ports fixed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •