Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme 6 A2 Error

greywolfe is offline Junior Member

Default Z77 Extreme 6 A2 Error

New build. Getting A2 (IDE detect) error when trying to boot. Have tried resetting CMOS but, either I didn't do it right or something. Either way the error won't clear and thus system will not boot up.

Edit: Been searching the mobo manual and web, can't seem to find a definitive answer on how to clear the cmos. I did, however, find a faq on the a2 error which states that all my sata devices should be reinstalled. I'm thinking I need to get new SATA data cables.
    Last edited by greywolfe; 04-03-2013 at 06:15 AM.

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Default Re: Z77 Extreme 6 A2 Error

The MB came with 4 new sata cables. Just how many drives are installed when you're installing windows?? Unless you're doing some exotic install, use one drive installed to place Windows on then afterwards connect the rest.

Did you notice the Clr CMOS buttons on the rear I/O panel and the lower right of the MB? The manual clearly states their use.

BTW, Hello and Welcome from lower MI. Nice case.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

greywolfe is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme 6 A2 Error

Got it figured out. After thinking the mobo was hosed and trekking to get a replacement, I removed the battery for around 15 minutes and restarted with no drives attached. System booted. Reattached the dvd, ssd and hd, all of which are sata. Rebooted again and got the message that there was no boot device. Loaded OS.

Now system is running with all drives showing. Just finished dressing the cables and putting the covers back on the case. Next, will move to near where permanent home will be and attach to internet and load missing drivers, format 1TB HD for data storage use. If all goes as planned, my 'new' main system will be in place by days end.

Also, thanks for the welcome wardog.

Thread Information