Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock X79 Extreme4 Bluescreen on startup

SkellyBeans is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Asrock X79 Extreme4 Bluescreen on startup

Hello! I really need some help, I think I may have messed up my computer after I tried to install the "improved USB compatibility" and "Update USB Module" drivers from the asrock site. I read the instructions but I made a mistake during the process of installing them which led to my problem. I can't start my PC without it blue screening immediately after the bios message and windows trying to repair it. I have been able to get around it by going into the boot menu and selecting my SSD to boot with, however, my PC just froze a short time ago and now i'm absolutely terrified. My PC is essential to my daily life. I need it for school, and if I can't use it I'm pretty much boned.

I want to know if it's possible to fix what i've done, and how to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible. Please help?

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock X79 Extreme4 Bluescreen on startup

The ""improved USB compatibility" and "Update USB Module" drivers" you mentioned are descriptions only found in BIOS updates, in versions 1.80 and 1.90. None of the USB drivers have those descriptions in them at all.

So you did two BIOS updates, by what method, the Windows updater I assume? Those are not drivers. Otherwise, what drivers did you install?

If you did install BIOS updates, that failed, Windows cannot fix that at all. You'll need to do another BIOS update, to a version equal to or beyond 1.90 (your board is up to version 3.00), and perform it correctly.

But first we need to know what actually happened, as in what you downloaded, and how you attempted to do the update.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The ""improved USB compatibility" and "Update USB Module" drivers" you mentioned are descriptions only found in BIOS updates, in versions 1.80 and 1.90. None of the USB drivers have those descriptions in them at all.

So you did two BIOS updates, by what method, the Windows updater I assume? Those are not drivers. Otherwise, what drivers did you install?

If you did install BIOS updates, that failed, Windows cannot fix that at all. You'll need to do another BIOS update, to a version equal to or beyond 1.90 (your board is up to version 3.00), and perform it correctly.

But first we need to know what actually happened, as in what you downloaded, and how you attempted to do the update.
    Yes, I did two BIOS updates. I'm realising the huge amount of stupidity I've exuded and it's quite embarrassing. Nevertheless here are the BIOS updates that I installed, via the installers provided in the zips. I installed them in this order.

Ok, but you said they failed, or you made a mistake, correct? Regardless, you should just do the 1.90 version again, using the Instant Flash method, it is not difficult. Do you have a USB flash drive you can use? Click on the red + for instructions, since you cannot get into Windows, you can do the update in the BIOS, with the Instant Flash option.

Or, you could use a version beyond 1.90, any of them, including the latest version, 2.70, which will contain ALL the updates in the earlier versions. There is no need to do them all, each new version has everything updated earlier.

Ok, but you said they failed, or you made a mistake, correct? Regardless, you should just do the 1.90 version again, using the Instant Flash method, it is not difficult. Do you have a USB flash drive you can use? Click on the red + for instructions, since you cannot get into Windows, you can do the update in the BIOS, with the Instant Flash option.

Or, you could use a version beyond 1.90, any of them, including the latest version, 2.70, which will contain ALL the updates in the earlier versions. There is no need to do them all, each new version has everything updated earlier.
    I downloaded the most recent version of the BIOS update for windows, but when I run the installer it shows me this:

I'm not sure what to do, so I didn't mess with it. Also I do have a USB drive I can use freely.

The warning message description does not help much at all. It seems like it is saying the identification of the BIOS for the board does not match that of the new BIOS file, as if one or the other was a BIOS for a different board, but I'm not certain. You never described the mistakes you made installing 1.80 and 1.90, which might help explain things.

Try using Instant Flash for BIOS 1.90, the last one you did that at least ran partially, or whatever happened. It is not hard, download the BIOS file for the Instant Flash method ("ROM" is part of the file name) and unzip the BIOS file, copy it to the main/top folder of the USB drive, and read the directions on the download page.

All you do is put the USB drive in a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O panel of the PC, and start up Instant Flash, either in the BIOS, or by pressing F6 at the same time as you would press Del to enter the BIOS. Then follow the instructions on the screen.

The way you can get around the boot blue screen issue is strange to me, but at least it works. Are you still getting the freezing issue?

The warning message description does not help much at all. It seems like it is saying the identification of the BIOS for the board does not match that of the new BIOS file, as if one or the other was a BIOS for a different board, but I'm not certain. You never described the mistakes you made installing 1.80 and 1.90, which might help explain things.

Try using Instant Flash for BIOS 1.90, the last one you did that at least ran partially, or whatever happened. It is not hard, download the BIOS file for the Instant Flash method ("ROM" is part of the file name) and unzip the BIOS file, copy it to the main/top folder of the USB drive, and read the directions on the download page.

All you do is put the USB drive in a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O panel of the PC, and start up Instant Flash, either in the BIOS, or by pressing F6 at the same time as you would press Del to enter the BIOS. Then follow the instructions on the screen.

The way you can get around the boot blue screen issue is strange to me, but at least it works. Are you still getting the freezing issue?
    The mistakes that I made were; I did not close all of the programs while attempting my first update and I did not load the default settings in the BIOS setup utility, as the instructions demanded.

I just tried updating using the instant flash method, but no luck. I am still getting the bluescreen. However, I found that when I try to set my boot priority options, it does not allow me to select my C: Drive. I'm only able to use my C: Drive if I manually boot with it, and I think it is trying to boot off of my secondary hard drive on startup. Also, is it safe to update my BIOS with a newer version using the instant flash method?

Thread Information