Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

  1. #1
    cpalin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Question Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Hi All

    I hope you are all well. This is my first post and I hope you can help.

    I have recently built a new rig with an ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6.

    The problem I'm having it the system will not boot unless I press the clear CMOS button.

    It will then ask me if I want to go into the Bios settings or F1 to load windows. Once I'm in Windows everything is very stable.

    If I then turn the system off and power down completely it won't switch on again unless I press the Clear CMOS button.

    Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

    I have flashed the Bios to the latest version etc.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind Regards

    Craig

    P.s Parts List

    i7 3770k
    Z77 extreme 6
    Samsung 840 pro 128gb SSD
    2TB Western Digital Hard Drive + or SATA Drives
    Pioneer Blueray optical Drive
    Nh - d14 cooler
    600 w psu from old build
    Fractal Design R4
    Last edited by cpalin; 06-22-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Sorry put extreme 7 instead of extreme 6

  2. #2
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    6,560

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Welcome to the forum.

    How old is your 600 watt psu from an old build?
    Psu brand name?
    Psu model name/number?
    A failing power supply might be the cause of your boot problem.
    Can you borrow a good quality psu to test with?

    Do you have another brand new CMOS battery that you can try?
    Have you tried putting your system to Sleep or Hibernation to see if you can wake your system without problems?

    I changed your thread title to Extreme6.
    Q9650 @ 3.80GHz [9x422MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 844MHz @4-4-4-10
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  3. #3
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,129

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Do you ever go into the BIOS? Do you just skip that and go into Windows? Are you using all default BIOS settings?

    If you don't go into the BIOS, you should at least once go in and click Save and Exit.

    Your issue also might be caused by a BIOS setting that is wrong for your PC's hardware or configuration. I've seen the BIOS force itself staying open until a setting was "fixed".

  4. #4
    cpalin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    How old is your 600 watt psu from an old build?
    Psu brand name?
    Psu model name/number?
    A failing power supply might be the cause of your boot problem.
    Can you borrow a good quality psu to test with?

    Do you have another brand new CMOS battery that you can try?
    Have you tried putting your system to Sleep or Hibernation to see if you can wake your system without problems?

    I changed your thread title to Extreme6.
    hi there - thanks for your reply. My 600w PSU is at least 5 years old. It's a coolpro. It only has a 4 pin 12v supply. I'm not sure if this causes any issues?

    i would think the battery for the CMOS should be ok as it's a brand new board? It just seem strange that I can't switch anything on unless I press the clear CMOS button.

    I have put it into sleep mode and it seems to come back after a few presses of the power button. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all of your help.

  5. #5
    cpalin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Do you ever go into the BIOS? Do you just skip that and go into Windows? Are you using all default BIOS settings?

    If you don't go into the BIOS, you should at least once go in and click Save and Exit.

    Your issue also might be caused by a BIOS setting that is wrong for your PC's hardware or configuration. I've seen the BIOS force itself staying open until a setting was "fixed".
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I have been into the bios and have amended and saved settings fine. The issue just seems to be when I switch the system off it won't reboot unless I clear the CMOS. Thanks again for your help. Any further advice?

  6. #6
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,129

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    What OS are you using? Are you using the Fast Boot option in the UEFI, on the Boot screen?

    There are some options in the ACPI Configuration screen that allows devices like the keyboard, mouse, etc, but that should not disable the PC's case power button from working.

    Just to be clear, when you press the Clear CMOS button, does the PC then start? Or do you press the Clear CMOS button, and then press the PC's case power button?

    Also just to verify, in your first post you wrote:

    "If I then turn the system off and power down completely it won't switch on again unless I press the Clear CMOS button."

    Does power down completely mean remove AC power from the PSU? As in unplug it or switch off the PSU with its switch or a switch on a power filter/multi-plug device?

    I have had a bad battery on a brand new board once in the past, it does happen. That board did not behave as yours is now, but if I removed power from the board (unplug or turn PSU off) the BIOS settings would be lost and it had other odd behavior.

  7. #7
    cpalin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What OS are you using? Are you using the Fast Boot option in the UEFI, on the Boot screen?

    There are some options in the ACPI Configuration screen that allows devices like the keyboard, mouse, etc, but that should not disable the PC's case power button from working.

    Just to be clear, when you press the Clear CMOS button, does the PC then start? Or do you press the Clear CMOS button, and then press the PC's case power button?

    Also just to verify, in your first post you wrote:

    "If I then turn the system off and power down completely it won't switch on again unless I press the Clear CMOS button."

    Does power down completely mean remove AC power from the PSU? As in unplug it or switch off the PSU with its switch or a switch on a power filter/multi-plug device?

    I have had a bad battery on a brand new board once in the past, it does happen. That board did not behave as yours is now, but if I removed power from the board (unplug or turn PSU off) the BIOS settings would be lost and it had other odd behavior.
    Nothing is disabled that should be disabled in the Bios. Most things are on auto.

    so, when I shut down the PC in windows 7 it powers off completely. The PSU is still plugged in and switched on. When I try and press the on button on the case nothing happens. I then try the on button on the mother board and you've guessed it.. Nothing happens! I then press the clear CMOS button on the back of the board. I wait a couple of seconds and then press the power button on the case and everything starts up. Likewise, after I press the clear CMOS button on the back o the motherboard and then press the power button on the motherboard everything start up again. It will take me to the option to enter the bios when I clear the CMOS but when I go into Windows everything is fine. Once it's running it is extremely stable. Could it be the PSU?? I have just ordered a new Corsair ax760 and this should arrive tomorrow. Again any advise etc would be great.

  8. #8
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,129

    Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    This does not sound like a PSU problem, but PSU issues can be weird.

    Yours is one strange issue, I'm out of ideas. Usually, if the CMOS jumper was moved to the clear position, the PC would not start at all, but clearing it with the switch might override things... but that is a long stretch.

    I considered suggesting checking the connections from the case's power switch to the board's header, but if the PC starts using that button in some situations, that sounds like it is connected correctly.

  9. #9
    cpalin is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Red face Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    This does not sound like a PSU problem, but PSU issues can be weird.

    Yours is one strange issue, I'm out of ideas. Usually, if the CMOS jumper was moved to the clear position, the PC would not start at all, but clearing it with the switch might override things... but that is a long stretch.

    I considered suggesting checking the connections from the case's power switch to the board's header, but if the PC starts using that button in some situations, that sounds like it is connected correctly.
    Thanks for your help and responses. I have solved the issue. I have bought a new PSU and also changed the CMOS battery. Everything now runs like a dream :). I have also be able to over-clock the system to 4.2 gh very easily and it's runs extremely stably.

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    6,560

    Thumbs up Re: Z77 Extreme6 Boot Problem

    Glad to hear that your new power supply (and CMOS battery) fixed your boot problems.
    I'm always suspicious that the psu is failing when there are erratic boot problems, especially when an older psu is installed, or if the psu appears to be a lower quality, no-name brand. You should have many good years with your made by Seasonic, Corsair AX760 power supply.
    Q9650 @ 3.80GHz [9x422MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 844MHz @4-4-4-10
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •