Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z87 Extreme 6, how to enable HDMI-IN option?

uacnix is offline Junior Member

Question Z87 Extreme 6, how to enable HDMI-IN option?

First things first, hello all, I'm (so far :D) a happy buyer of Z87 Extreme 6

After I built my rig, I got an idea to somehow make use of the parts that were left from disassembling my old pc (HP MoBo, C2Q q6600, 8600GT, 4Gigs of DDR2 RAM)- after some thinking and searching i found an awesome 20GB disk and 300W PSU (that was originally with that pc), I installed Win7 on it, but now I would like to connect it through HDMI-IN port on my new board to avoid connecting through DVI->D-SUB to the monitor.
    But no matter how much i try to do it, it doesn't work.
    So, here are my questions:
    How does this fancy thing work?
    |Do I need to enable IGPU to make it work?
    |-->If so, will the dedicated gpu still work?
    If I accidentally make it work, will I need to keep my new PC working to get the image from the old one?
    Thanks in advance :D

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme 6, how to enable HDMI-IN option?

While I haven't used it or tried it myself, I believe that yes you would have to use the iGPU rather than a discrete GPU. These commenters here ASRock Shows Off HDMI-in Feature for Haswell Motherboards seem to agree with that. It seems you don't need to have the PC on for it to work, which makes it all the more likely that it won't work with a discrete GPU.

uacnix is offline Junior Member

Then I'll have to connect it through DVI->D-sub converter and connect it to analog input in monitor :( Ok, i can live with that.
    Whats the point of that option in this motherboard? I can take it if it was in some budget/low-end MoBo, where not everyone uses dedicated gpu.

And who invented that funny "discrete" term? How could a 250W, 3fan monster (or any additional gpu that is bought for gaming/ heavy render) be discrete?!
    Its like calling a turbojet engine "quiet", its more clear to call it dedicated, cause thats the point of buying it (in most cases)- to do all the "graphics stuff" :D
    OFC no offence towards You or your naming- its just my thought :)

Shiari is offline Member

Yeah it does seem a pretty lame feature, especially on a Z chipset overclocking board with 3 PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots ... which at least in theory would not see many people using the iGPU, though I guess some people will buy the boards without knowing much about the differences. And maybe the feature is just a part of the AsRock range of boards and it wasn't that expensive to include it, it would have been more of a faff to leave it out? I don't know. That said, the board isn't the most expensive either ... I got it because it has good features for the price compared to the competition, or at least it did when I bought it (prices may have changed since).

dis·crete [dih-skreet]
    adjective
    1. apart or detached from others; separate; distinct: six discrete parts.
    2. consisting of or characterized by distinct or individual parts; discontinuous.
    I suppose that's why it's called discrete! :) Have always wondered about that myself.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by uacnix View Post
    First things first, hello all, I'm (so far :D) a happy buyer of Z87 Extreme 6

After I built my rig, I got an idea to somehow make use of the parts that were left from disassembling my old pc (HP MoBo, C2Q q6600, 8600GT, 4Gigs of DDR2 RAM)- after some thinking and searching i found an awesome 20GB disk and 300W PSU (that was originally with that pc), I installed Win7 on it, but now I would like to connect it through HDMI-IN port on my new board to avoid connecting through DVI->D-SUB to the monitor.
    But no matter how much i try to do it, it doesn't work.
    So, here are my questions:
    How does this fancy thing work?
    |Do I need to enable IGPU to make it work?
    |-->If so, will the dedicated gpu still work?
    If I accidentally make it work, will I need to keep my new PC working to get the image from the old one?
    Thanks in advance :D
    I think you are a little confused about the HDMI-In port. It allows you to connect another video source to the same monitor this mother board is connected to, by connecting it to the HDMI-In port, and then switching to that video source by setting up a "Hot Key" in the A-Tuning Utility. From our board's manual:

The HDMI-In port on this motherboard lets you easily switch between PC screen
    (on-board VGA) and external video source on the same monitor. This function
    saves you the hassle of switching cables back and forth when you want to display
    the screen of another device, such as smartphone, tablet, camcorder, DVD player, or
    another PC, onto the PC monitor.
    Another useful feature of this function is that external video source can be viewed
    even when your PC is in standby mode or powered off. For example, you can play
    smartphone games or watch tablet video on your PC screen

Enabling/using the iGPU on the CPU used in the Z87 Ex 6 board is not applicable here, that does not make sense. Whatever device is connected to the HDMI-In port must have its own video source. The HDMI-In port is simply a video source routing capability, that is switchable with your keyboard.

Note that there MUST be an HDMI cable connected to the HDMI output port on the Z87 Ex 6's I/O panel, connected to the monitor.

If you are using a separate/discrete video card in the Z87 Ex 6, and you are using the HDMI output on that video card connected to the monitor, nothing will be sent to the monitor with the HDMI-In connected.

The ONLY connections that will work are HDMI out from the board's I/O panel to the monitor, and the other video source connected to the HDMI-In on the mother board.

IF your monitor had two HDMI inputs, then you could connect both the HDMI out from the board, and the HDMI out from the video card, and switch between the two.

IMO, the manual explains it quite clearly, and the pictures in the manual show how it is connected.

The other PC you mentioned must have its own video capability, either from an iGPU (Integrated GPU, meaning combined with the CPU) or a discrete video card (discrete meaning separate, not combined with the CPU.)

The only thing that is not clear is the switching via the keyboard. If the Z87 Ex 6 is off, how can you switch sources? Will that still work with a wired keyboard? Must the Z87 Ex 6 be on to switch between sources, and then shut off? Will the switching still be on when the PC is started again, and the Hot Key must be pressed to connect the PC to the monitor?

In English, discreet (not discrete) means quietly, secretly, not drawing attention to something.

valewalker is offline Junior Member

I am very disappointed to hear this. I was able to confirm what you were saying in the manual, but one of the main reasons I purchased the Z87 OC Formula (which also has the hdmi-in feature) was that it advertised this ability. No where else does it state that in order to use the HDMI-in feature, you have to use HDMI-out for monitor connectivity. IMO, it makes this feature useless. If your monitor already has dual inputs, why not just use the two inputs on the monitor and use its source button to switch between them?

parsec is online now Senior Member

Well, my comment about a monitor with two HDMI inputs really does not make sense, since after some recent monitor shopping, multiple inputs of any one kind are virtually unheard of in any monitor. For example, Dell became the number one monitor manufacture in sales over the last year. A quick survey of their most expensive monitors ($600 - $1000+) reveals that only one of them has a pair of the same type of inputs, and those were DVI. More mainstream priced monitors will certainly not have multiple inputs of the same type. So given that, this feature makes more sense.

The point of this feature is having two devices with HDMI outputs being able to share one monitor without changing cables. Yes there are limitations, but this feature does work.

It is true that the simple, one line descriptions of this feature don't specify what the video output will be, or is limited to, but if that type of description is the basis of a purchase decision, we are bound to be disappointed. I learned that long ago with the add on "SATA 6Gb/s" SATA ports, that are by their very design unable to operate at that speed.

Thread Information