Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How To Achieve 5.1ch Audio - ASRock Z77 Extreme 6

moccor is offline Junior Member

Default How To Achieve 5.1ch Audio - ASRock Z77 Extreme 6

Hi, so I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 Motherboard and I bought the X-FI MB3 software yesterday because I had hoped it would allow for playing games in movies with 5.1ch audio using the digital output on the motherboard. Well it turns out that was not the case. Pretty much it did nothing special for me except make the sound prettier. Is there any way I can make this work to achieve 5.1ch audio?

Also, I'd glady go to Creative for help, but currently their website completely sucks and many of their links give errors or bring you to the wrong spot.
    Last edited by moccor; 07-28-2013 at 01:07 AM.

wazza300 is online now Sloth Fratelli-Moderator

Default Re: How To Achieve 5.1ch Audio - ASRock Z77 Extreme 6

tried enabling 7.1 sound and disable the side speakers? ive had to do that on a few boards
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    tried enabling 7.1 sound and disable the side speakers? ive had to do that on a few boards
    I am using a digital connection (toslink) so I don't think that is a option for me. In the Playback Options and in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, it only shows 5.1 or 7.1 for Speakers. Which is beyond stupid. And when I make my default playback device the Realtek Digital Output, the X-FI MB3 says :

"The current selected audio device is disabled, not present, not supported by the application or has unplugged jack connections. Do you want to select another audio device now?"

And then it gives me the option to choose "Speakers - Sound Blaster X-FI MB3" as the default playback device but apply the settings to Digital Output. Except when I try to change stereo to 5.1 or anything besides stereo, it reverts it instantly. This is by far one of the silliest things I've seen. It seems almost like they are selling this 30$ program with the idea that you can transform 2ch audio into 5.1-7.1ch audio, yet it can't, it only works for "Speakers"/Analog Output.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by moccor View Post
    Hi, so I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 Motherboard and I bought the X-FI MB3 software yesterday because I had hoped it would allow for playing games in movies with 5.1ch audio using the digital output on the motherboard. Well it turns out that was not the case. Pretty much it did nothing special for me except make the sound prettier. Is there any way I can make this work to achieve 5.1ch audio?

Also, I'd glady go to Creative for help, but currently their website completely sucks and many of their links give errors or bring you to the wrong spot.
    5.1 channel audio? So decoding Dolby Digital or DTS? The X-FI MB3 software does not mention either of those at all. If it did decode DD or DTS, that would be displayed in giant letters with the trademark of each clearly visible. All I see is "SBX Pro Studio" and "EAX® ADVANCED HD 5.0" for the X-FI MB3 software.

If you had certain Sound Blaster cards, you could get DD and DTS decoding software for $4.72 from Creative.

You could try configuring the Windows Sound option in Control Panel, the Properties for the selected audio device should have a Supported Formats tab. You do need to configure the digital output for DD or DTS (48K.) That has a test for DD and DTS, but there is no guarantee the audio system of your PC can decode DD, DTS, or whatever proprietary multi-channel output a video game has.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    5.1 channel audio? So decoding Dolby Digital or DTS? The X-FI MB3 software does not mention either of those at all. If it did decode DD or DTS, that would be displayed in giant letters with the trademark of each clearly visible. All I see is "SBX Pro Studio" and "EAX® ADVANCED HD 5.0" for the X-FI MB3 software.

If you had certain Sound Blaster cards, you could get DD and DTS decoding software for $4.72 from Creative.

You could try configuring the Windows Sound option in Control Panel, the Properties for the selected audio device should have a Supported Formats tab. You do need to configure the digital output for DD or DTS (48K.) That has a test for DD and DTS, but there is no guarantee the audio system of your PC can decode DD, DTS, or whatever proprietary multi-channel output a video game has.
    Yeah I actually learned about that encoding stuff yesterday. The X-FI MB3 doesn't mention anything about encoding, but it does try to put people under the impression that it will enable 7.1ch audio. Which is not the case, really it doesn't do anything special except make sounds sound nicer. Because without a encoder, only analog can take advantage of 5.1 or 7.1ch surround (except video files). And Windows can do that by default. I went ahead and bought the red Sound Blaster Z though, since I really do like the crystallizer that is part of the X-FI MB3 software and I will just try to get a refund for the software I bought since its kinda useless for me atm and it will come with the card I purchased a hour ago.

Thread Information