Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CPU Multiplier Cycling

Abxnightpilot is offline Junior Member

Default CPU Multiplier Cycling

I have an ASRock 970 Extreme R2 motherboard with the most current UEFI/BIOS and an AMD FX 8320 CPU. I recently did two stress tests on it using both AMD OverDrive and Prime95. The problem that I'm having is that during both tests, the CPU multiplier cycles between 17.5 and 7. I am new to over locking but I would think the the multiplier would decrease to 7 when the CPU was not under stress and that while under stress that it would remain at 17.5. My temps on all 8 cores are normally in the low to mid 40's and I am not over clocking so all settings are at default values. I did purchase a water CPU cooler because I hope to OC after I figure out this problem.

Is this normal for the multiplier to decrease under a stress test? If not, what can I do to keep the multiplier at 17.5 (3.5ghz)? I mostly use this computer to encoding movies so lowering the multiplier and the GHZ is undesirable.

Remember Im new to overclocking so please put any reply in layman's terms.

Thanks.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: CPU Multiplier Cycling

So you're saying that during a Prime95 test run, with the CPU usage at 100% on all 8 cores (which I assume you are monitoring with something, no mention of that...), you see the CPU multiplier change between 17.5 and 7? That is with 8 Prime95 "workers" running simultaneously? What are your core temperatures like during the test when at 100% CPU usage?

Yes, the multiplier should stay at the highest value during the test, but can drop if the CPU is over heating, so throttles itself down. You're saying during the Prime95 test that all your cores are in the low to mid 40's? According to what monitoring program?

Tyler.Bernath is offline TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

Disable Cool and Quiet in the Bios

Thanks Parsec;

I am using AMD Overdrive to monitor the 8 core temps and 8 core multipliers. I have never seen the CPU core temp above 46 C on any of the cores. When the multiplier reduces to 7, all 8 cores are still at 100%. In Prime95, "8" is selected for "Number of torture test threads to run". Below is a link to ascreen shot of what I'm looking at.

Thanks

Rich

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cikltctwydtwwgw/Untitled.jpg

Thanks Tyler;

I went into the UEFI/BIOS and changed "Multiplier/Voltage Change" to Manual. The description said that Cool' n' Quiet would be disabled. The change to "Manual" gave me a CPU Frequency Multiplier of x19.5 3900 MHz a voltage of 1.4 an NB frequency multiplier of x11 2200MHz and a CPU NB voltage of 1.2250. I don't know what all this means yet as I'm learning but the change didn't fix the problem of the multiplier reducing to 7 during the stress test.

Thanks again for your help,

Rich

In windows change the power plan to high performance

parsec is online now Senior Member

Prime95 goes through phases of higher and lower stess during its test, which can be seen in changes in core temperatures, even though the CPU usage remains at 100%. Still that is typically not enough to cause CPU power saving features to engage.

Trying the High Performance Windows power plan is a good idea, but it still seems strange that is necessary.

What OS are you using?

Parsec and Tyler.

I checked and windows was and is set to high performance. I have windows 7, 64 bit. My CPU temps are normal. Could some other limit besides CPU temp be causing the multiplier to drop? I was just thinking that instead of the multiplier lowering to save energy it may be lowering to protect something on the motherboards or CPU.

Thanks,

Rich

If the CPU temp gets to high it will throttle. If you run linpack does it do the same,or is this only in Prime95?

CageJ is offline Junior Member

As mentioned above, CPU throttles for sure...

Thread Information