Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z87 Extreme6 can't flash from 1.90 to 2.10

val_f is offline Junior Member

Question [SOLVED] Z87 Extreme6 can't flash from 1.90 to 2.10

New build with i5-4670k. Win8Pro is installed and seems stable. Tried all 3 flash methods, using all default UEFI settings:

1. Windows method - Cmd prompt pops up and disappears too fast to see anything. Nothing happens after reboot.

2. Instant flash - tried multiple USB drives/BIOS files (from the different download locations), F6 or via UEFI Tools, always same result: filename of the BIOS flashes quickly followed by message "/download.metalink," and stays there.

3. DOS - able to run the .exe for the BIOS, then get "Secure Flash Check Fail" error after reboot. Able to return to normal after CMOS reset.

Any idea? Beginning to think my board is defective.
    Last edited by val_f; 08-30-2013 at 11:02 PM.

scorpian007 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme6 can't flash from 1.90 to 2.10

Have you tried doing an internet flash via the UEFI? That's what I did and it worked beautifully.

nlight is offline Junior Member

Suggest update trough UEFI. Try also wired Internet connection(if you're using WIFI) because the rom might be damaged due to packet loss or something. Try also downloading from another mirror and make sure you don't use DL accelerators. You could even go so far to connect wired directly to your modem if you have a separate modem and router solution.

parsec is online now Senior Member

I've updated the same board from 1.90 to 2.10 using Instant Flash, no problem at all. I use Instant Flash for UEFI updates on two ASR Z77 Ex 4 boards, which has 12 UEFI updates (if you have an early board with an early UEFI version), and I have never had the slightest problem with it.

The Internet Flash method may be failing because ASR changed their BIOS/UEFI download servers recently, and the server's URL is apparently written in the UEFI, and needed to be updated on all earlier ASR boards that have Internet Flash.

The two things you need are the downloaded and unzipped UEFI file, and a USB flash drive. Any USB flash drive will do, the UEFI file is only 8MB. The zipped download file for your board's 2.10 UEFI is Z87 Extreme6(2.10)ROM.zip, from here:

66.226.78.21/downloadsite/bios/1150/Z87%20Extreme6(2.10)ROM.zip

The file icon appears as a zipped folder.

Unzipping the download file is simple with Windows 7 or 8: Right click on the file, and select Extract, and then just click Ok on the default destination folder.

Copy the unzipped UEFI file to the main, root folder of the USB drive. The unzipped UEFI 2.10 UEFI file is: Z87Ex62.10.

Quite different from the download file. You can simply drag and drop the UEFI file to copy it to the USB flash drive.

The USB flash drive will work best with Instant Flash if it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the board's rear I/O panel. Otherwise Instant Flash may not find the UEFI file.

Run Instant Flash directly from the UEFI interface, in Tools, or start it with the F6 function key when the PC boots, at the same point you would press the Del or F2 key to get into the UEFI GUI. You should see the UEFI file Z87Ex62.10 in the Instant Flash screen, if not something is wrong. Just click on the file and sit back and let it run. DO NOT remove the USB flash drive until the PC boots into Windows again, or at the very least not until the PC restarts. Leaving the USB flash drive in the PC will not harm anything.

val_f is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the tips to do it over the net. What I thought would be the most unreliable method was the one that actually worked.

Also point taken on the USB 2.0 back port advice for instant flash. I had been using a front header port.

Thread Information