Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: High idle consumption on system - FM2A85X-ITX

billias is offline Junior Member

Default High idle consumption on system - FM2A85X-ITX

Hi,

I do have build up a nice system with FM2A85X-ITX and A8-5600K, i start using it for nas purposes, but in the future i will also add some Virtual Environments.
    The question is this. On Idle the system is spending 60Watts/h. I do find it really high, when every measurment on the internet with this CPU spends only about 34 Watts.

The setup is when i measure:
    FM2A85X-ITX
    A8-5600K
    1 SSD Vertex 4
    PSU Enermax Liberty 400w
    System is Debian 7.1 (tried both kernels 2.6 and 3.2) (also windows 7 with every driver installed has the same consumption)

I do have CnQ and also I have C6 enabled (but doesn't see it on my powertop or on the states of CPU.

So the questions:
    Why c6 state missing? maybe i need to set specific parameters on bios?
    Maybe the power supply is not so good/efficient?

I have disabled many components like: audio, extra serials or ports i do not need (even usb3 is disabled)

Any suggestion/help appreciated.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: High idle consumption on system - FM2A85X-ITX

Quote Originally Posted by billias View Post
    Hi,

I do have build up a nice system with FM2A85X-ITX and A8-5600K, i start using it for nas purposes, but in the future i will also add some Virtual Environments.
    The question is this. On Idle the system is spending 60Watts/h. I do find it really high, when every measurment on the internet with this CPU spends only about 34 Watts.

The setup is when i measure:
    FM2A85X-ITX
    A8-5600K
    1 SSD Vertex 4
    PSU Enermax Liberty 400w
    System is Debian 7.1 (tried both kernels 2.6 and 3.2) (also windows 7 with every driver installed has the same consumption)

I do have CnQ and also I have C6 enabled (but doesn't see it on my powertop or on the states of CPU.

So the questions:
    Why c6 state missing? maybe i need to set specific parameters on bios?
    Maybe the power supply is not so good/efficient?

I have disabled many components like: audio, extra serials or ports i do not need (even usb3 is disabled)

Any suggestion/help appreciated.
    What are you using to measure the power usage of the PC?

Just to check, you are measuring only the PC itself, not the monitor or any other device, right?

Your power supply is a bit old, but given a review I found, was about 80% efficient at low power levels, usually where any power supply is less efficient.

You did not mention your PC case, and any fans or add on cards you use also use power, although not much.

What are you using to check the CPU speed? Sorry, I don't understand "... powertop or on the states of CPU". That sounds like some kind of CPU monitoring program? How do you know, "Why c6 state missing?".

The only power saving feature options I see in your board's BIOS are Core C6 Mode, Package C6 Mode, and Cool 'n' Quiet. If they are all enabled, that is all you can do.

Windows Power Plans allow maximum and minimum processor states to be set, the minimum should be set below 10% for the most power savings. I don't know how Debian works in this respect.

Have you changed any CPU settings in the BIOS, like frequency or voltage?

Thread Information