Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: z77 Extreme6 RAID Option ROM for TRIM Support

scn101 is offline Junior Member

Default z77 Extreme6 RAID Option ROM for TRIM Support

Hello,

I have two Intel 180GB SSDs in RAID0 and would of course like the Windows 8 TRIM commands to be passed to the drives. In order for this to happen I believe that you need to have the BIOS RAID Option Version at 11.5 or higher as well as the RST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) driver above 11.5 too. I'm using the latest bios from ASRock, ver 2.80, and it uses version RAID Option ROM 11.2.0.1527. My RST driver is 11.6.0.1030. See TRIM Command Confirmed With RAID 0 on Intel 7 Series for details.

I believe that Intel provides the RAID Option ROMs to the Motherboard manufacturer and only the MB manufacturer can integrate it into their BIOS. So I think I'm stuck until ASRock releases a newer BIOS with an updated RAID Option ROM unless there is another way to TRIM the drives. The Intel RST driver won't allow you to optimize a drive that is part of a RAID array.

Any suggestions?

Tyler.Bernath is offline TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

Default Re: z77 Extreme6 RAID Option ROM for TRIM Support

You could ask Stasio very nicely and he may mod a BIOS for you with the correct option rom.

Thanks for the reply. Who is Stasio? How do I contact him? I do appreciate the help. I was looking to mod the bios myself but I would absolutely hate to brick my motherboard as I don't think it can recover from a bad bios load. So if Stasio could provide a working bios with an updated RAID option ROM I would be very thankful and hopefully it will help others too!

Tyler.Bernath is offline TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

Head over to the gigabyte forum here at TweakTown. You will most likely find him in the Gigabyte Beta BIOS forum.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Are you sure your Z77 Ex 6 board's latest UEFI has the 11.2 Option ROM? Is that what is displayed in the Intel RAID utility available during POST?

My Z77 Ex 4 board has the 11.6.0.1072 Option ROM, which was updated in UEFI version 2.00. Your board's Option ROM was updated in version 1.90.

Your situation with Windows 8 apparently requires at least an 11.5 Option ROM. I've used both Windows 7 and 8 and have had RAID 0 TRIM working on my Z77 Ex 4 board for quite a while.

What is probably happening in your case compared to mine, is I have Windows 8 installed in a UEFI booting configuration. The Option ROMs can be and are different on the ASRock Z77 boards, 11.2 for standard BIOS (CSM emulated) booting, and 11.6 for UEFI booting. Some boards have UEFI options that allow you to select which Option ROM to use, Legacy or UEFI, when BIOS booting. My ASR Z77 board's UEFI does not have that option, and I don't know if yours does.

The details regarding what is required for TRIM in RAID 0 are scarce to begin with, adding to that different versions of Windows makes it worse. Do you use the trimcheck program? If not, just search for trimcheck, a free download, and you can test if TRIM is working on any SSD or RAID volume of SSDs. I found that RAID 0 TRIM was not working with IRST 12.5 on Z87 boards with Windows 8, using that program. It does work with IRST 12.8.

odiebugs is offline Member

Intel made RST to support TRIM in RAID from the 11.0 and up win 7, like parsec said, with win 8, it appears you need the 11.5 and up.

If you are booting in BIOS mode, and you have the 2.80 BIOS then you have the 11.2.0.1527 option rom, and usually the best driver is using the 11 series driver, the 11.7.0.1013 is best.

If you are booting UEFI with the 2.80 BIOS, then the option rom 11.6.0.1702, which is the best option rom, if using win 8, the best driver seems to be the 12.2.

If I were you I would update to the 2.80 BIOS and install the OS in UEFI. Windows 7 send the most TRIM commands, win 8 has very poor TRIM sending, don't forget to run WEI after updating the RST driver from the MS driver to a 11 or 12 series driver.

You might find that TRIM is not working in win 8, not a big deal as most drives have GC. Remember RAID is useless for everyday desktop usage, only certain software and heavy data transfer make RAID worth it. It's more of a bench thing.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Windows 7 send the most TRIM commands, win 8 has very poor TRIM sending, don't forget to run WEI after updating the RST driver from the MS driver to a 11 or 12 series driver.

You might find that TRIM is not working in win 8, not a big deal as most drives have GC. Remember RAID is useless for everyday desktop usage, only certain software and heavy data transfer make RAID worth it. It's more of a bench thing.
    Hi Odie! Hey, what's this about poor TRIM support or whatever it is in Windows 8? I'm not saying that is false, I'm not familiar with that.

I imagine you recall just before RAID 0 TRIM worked, there was all kinds of rumors about it, like it would only work in Windows 8 because it supports the "unmap" command, or something like that? Then that all disappeared after Intel finally made a statement after being asked by several PC review sites. Intel still barely mentions this, and I'm sure you've heard of some versions of IRST 12 had broken RAID 0 TRIM.

Then there's Windows 8 SSD Optimize feature, that seems to work on any SSD, and even RAID volumes. But I've seen it identify a RAID 0 volume of SSDs as a HDD, and offer to defragment it. I clicked that for fun on a test volume, and it usually runs the TRIM Optimizer, but I did see it start a defrag once or twice on a RAID 0 of SSDs!

Do you use trimcheck? I bet you have RAID 0 TRIM on your X79 system?

Hey Par:

There are two commands, defrag, for HDD and optimize, for SSD, which is the TRIM command, it's only a MS name for sending TRIM. Just stating, not telling you, as you have a lot more knowledge then I do. Just because windows sends TRIM (optimize) does not mean the drive is actually being Trimmed. It appears that win will send TRIM but has no clue if the drive actually received the commands an cleared the LBA's for reuse.

The reason I say poor TRIM, is because on several boards with win 8, I have seen where they get trimmed, and then a few hours later, they are not being trimmed, have seen some RST OROM/driver combo's that never get trimmed, all above the 11.7 series. Looking at the drive before TRIM, running bench's, sending heavy data, then running TRIM, I have found that the win 7 Trimmed drives have a greater speed then in win 8, leading one to think that the response of the drive recovering is greater when TRIM is received at a constant rate when the LBA's are marked as cleared. So two reasons that say poor TRIM.

As for the SSD, HDD being seen by win 8, personally I see that if you don't run WEI the OS doesn't see the SSD in RAID but after it recognizes the set as SSD. This is a 100 percent on win 8.1 as WEI has been hidden. Win 8.1 will see the SSD raid set as HDD's.

Yes, I have seen that before running WEI when the OS thought there was a HDD instead of a SSD it would run defrag, but after defrag it would run TRIM. I think that MS and Intel need to work on this, but if you look at the OS, it is being made for social media and they are forgetting about the PC enthueast because the money isn't close to what the other market is.

Look at what they have done the the X79 people, left them hanging for two years, then give them a 4 percent boost with a fake pci-e 3.0 which is useless as no card will break the 2.0 band. Selling scams. Big whoop, lower power consumption. A 300.00 haswell kicking a 1000.00 IB-e,

ASRock actually put support in for the 12.7 OROM, do I have TRIM, yes an no, sometimes TRIM check and using hex returns TRIM an sometimes no, but waiting a half hour an just some idle time, GC kicks in an returns Trimmed.

TRIM is suppose to be within a few minutes that the LBA's are cleared, so if you check after 10mins and no TRIM, it won't happen until GC.

When I had to mod the BIOS and add RST because it was only RST-e, in win 7, there was always TRIM, but barley with win 8, an till this day win 8 is terrible with TRIM on the X79, but I see an hear that TRIM is fine on the 7 series with 8. But with 8.1 on all series chipsets, WEI must be run from powershell for the OS to see the SSD in RAID. So I say if people really think TRIM is very important, run win 7 and stay away from the 8's, and we will see what the 9 brings.

Sorry, I forgot to say hi, was really busy and was just checking mail from Emily. also for talking to much,
    Last edited by odiebugs; 09-07-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Thank you Parsec and Odie,

- I am using ASRock bios v2.80 with MBR, not GPT, so I must be doing a legacy Windows 8 bios boot, not UEFI. To be honest, I'm not even sure how I would do a UEFI install and if possible, I really rather not reinstall the OS (such a pain).
    - Two Intel 180GB 520 SSDs in RAID0, WEI for the RAID0 is 8.2
    - Intel RST application definitely reports the driver as v11.6.0.1030 and the OROM as v11.2.0.1527.
    - Intel's support site scan for driver updates also reports the RST driver as v11.6.0.1030 and says it is current.

Now here's the kicker. I downloaded and ran TrimCheck as suggested (thanks!) and it reports that TRIM is active. If I do the two runs Trimcheck needs for testing very fast (back to back) it will report that TRIM isn't on. If I wait a few seconds between runs it reports TRIM is enabled. It is odd that TRIM appears to be working with the OROM at v11.2 and not at v11.5 or greater.

So I'm not sure what to do, if anything? I could leave well enough alone and hope Win 8.1, when released, doesn't change anything for the worse. Or I could update RST driver but I wouldn't know what version to use. Ideally, I would like ASRock to update the bios to the newer OROM for legacy bios boots if that's at all possible.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by scn101; 09-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.

SCN:

Nope, your all set, if you run the TRIM check tool, wait 5 mins, and it returns TRIM active, you are golden. Don't keep running TRIM checks. The newest Intel Option Rom is 12.7.0.1936, the newest driver is the 12.8.0.1016.

Intel never keeps up their drivers on their website, and as for ASRock, unless a lot of people ask, they stick with what works the best, only fools like me run beta all the time looking to squeeze out every drop for no real reason.

If you want the 11.6.0 1702 Option Rom for BIOS booting because you don't install UEFI, just ask ASrock, they are great with giving people what they want, they will make you a beta BIOS.

I would mod a BIOS for you, but if you made a mistake or had a problem flashing, I don't want people hating me, so just ask ASRock. You don't need to reinstall the OS, the OROM will change to what ever is loaded and you just run WEI (windows experience index) again after you install the BIOS.

Sorry, the 11.5 falls more towards the X79, you should have TRIM from 11.2 on a 7 series, and you do.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 09-08-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information