Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By parsec

Thread: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

  1. #1
    kaare_t's Avatar
    kaare_t is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5

    Default ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Hi all,

    I've tried searching the forums and google for an answer but I cannot seem to find it. Just got my brand new ASRock X79 Extreme11 motherboard today and got it installed. Works great, but I'm a bit worried about SB/MB temperatures. Right now I've set the MB fan to "Enabled full on" to keep the temps as low as possible until I find an answer, but it sure makes a lot of noise...

    I have good airflow in my cabinet (around 3 degrees above room temp at load) so that should not be the problem. The CPU is water cooled so air temp and flow in the cabinet is basically just for cooling the MB.

    I use the AXTU to check the temperatures in Windows 8. I can see in the BIOS that I can choose a lot of different desired temperatures for the MB when setting the desired fan level, but I'm not sure what temps are acceptable and/or safe. In my opinion low temps are always the best, but the fan is very loud so I would like to know what is the maximum safe temperature to set in the fan setting in the BIOS and what temperatures can I expect to monitor in the AXTU?


    BTW: Does there exist any water blocks and/or bigger cooling blocks for this MB?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

  2. #2
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    6,562

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Welcome to the forum.

    We need more details about your water cooling setup such as radiator size, the brand name and model numbers of your fans and how many fans you are using.

    We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

    We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.

    Don't forget to include information about your computer case.
    Q9650 @ 3.80GHz [9x422MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 844MHz @4-4-4-10
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  3. #3
    kaare_t's Avatar
    kaare_t is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Better now?
    MB
    ASRock X79 Extreme11
    CPU Intel i7-3970X
    MEM 4x 4GB Kingston HyperX
    GPU Asus GTX770
    OS Raid Controller ASR7805
    OS Harddisks 4x Kingston HyperX SSD (RAID0)
    Cabinet Corsair Obsidian 900D
    PS Corsair AX1200
    Displays
    2x Samsung 2443 1920x1200

  4. #4
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,140

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Quote Originally Posted by kaare_t View Post
    Hi all,

    I've tried searching the forums and google for an answer but I cannot seem to find it. Just got my brand new ASRock X79 Extreme11 motherboard today and got it installed. Works great, but I'm a bit worried about SB/MB temperatures. Right now I've set the MB fan to "Enabled full on" to keep the temps as low as possible until I find an answer, but it sure makes a lot of noise...

    I have good airflow in my cabinet (around 3 degrees above room temp at load) so that should not be the problem. The CPU is water cooled so air temp and flow in the cabinet is basically just for cooling the MB.

    I use the AXTU to check the temperatures in Windows 8. I can see in the BIOS that I can choose a lot of different desired temperatures for the MB when setting the desired fan level, but I'm not sure what temps are acceptable and/or safe. In my opinion low temps are always the best, but the fan is very loud so I would like to know what is the maximum safe temperature to set in the fan setting in the BIOS and what temperatures can I expect to monitor in the AXTU?


    BTW: Does there exist any water blocks and/or bigger cooling blocks for this MB?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    The mother board (MB) and X79 chipset ("SB" - South Bridge?) are two distinct things, and ought to have separate temperature readings. AXTU may not provide the X79 chipset's temperature, only the mother board. Try another monitoring program like HWiNFO64, that will show the X79 chipset temperature, if it is available via the boards sensor chip.

    Intel chipsets can run normally rather warm, ~50C would not be unusual, although there is variation between chipsets.

    BTW, you did not mention any temperatures in your post, so we have no idea what your situation is at all.

  5. #5
    kaare_t's Avatar
    kaare_t is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Thank you for your information.

    I do not think I have a problem with my brand new Motherboard, my question was more of a "what can I expect" and "what is normal/safe" that's why I didn't post any temperatures, and I feel my question was not aimed if my setup is "OK or not OK". The thing that I'm wondering about is the preinstalled ASRock fan that is for the heatsinks on my specific motherboard and what setpoint temperature I should use on it.

    Here's a bit about my current temperatures:
    The MB sensor show about 40-42 degrees, and the SB sensor show about 45-47 degrees both in the AXTU and HWiNFO64. This is when running the built-in fan at "Full on".

    I have not tried to use a setpoint temperature (the fan regulates the RPMs according to the current/setpoint temperature), but I can see that one can use above 60 degrees for the setpoint temperature. Wouldn't that be kind of hot??


    So all in all, what I'm really wondering is:
    What setpoint temperature do people use on the Motherboard fan to achieve the following goals:
    1. Run a normal, safe temperature
    2. Make the fan as quiet as possible


    Sorry if I'm still missing vital information, just let me know if you need more and I will provide it!! Thanks again for taking time to help me on my quest for both safe temps and a more quiet computer!

  6. #6
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,140

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    The thermal specs for the X79 chipset are:

    Max temperature (Tcase_max): 93C (that is typical for an Intel chipset, if relatively a little on the low side, most are 100C - 105C)

    Tcontrol temperature: 85C (the target temperature the chipset should be below or equal to, and the temperature which signals an increase in cooling is necessary)

    So your X79 temperature of ~45C is considered fine by Intel, and is about one half of the Tcontrol temperature. As you said, cooler is better, but then there is the balance between cool and fan noise.

    The mother board temperature seems a bit high simply compared to other mother boards, but that ignores details about your board. It has the LSI SAS controller chip, and two PLX PEX8747 chips for the quad SLI support. Both add heat to the board, which likely varies depending on their usage. It looks like some or all of them are cooled by the same heat sink as the X79 chip. Cooling those extra chips no doubt causes the X79 chip's temperature to be a little higher.

    You'll need to experiment with that heat sink's fan speed and set points, since each PC is different as well as your usage of your board's features. IMO there isn't one correct setting or answer, that depends on you and your priorities.
    kaare_t likes this.

  7. #7
    kaare_t's Avatar
    kaare_t is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The thermal specs for the X79 chipset are:

    Max temperature (Tcase_max): 93C (that is typical for an Intel chipset, if relatively a little on the low side, most are 100C - 105C)

    Tcontrol temperature: 85C (the target temperature the chipset should be below or equal to, and the temperature which signals an increase in cooling is necessary)

    So your X79 temperature of ~45C is considered fine by Intel, and is about one half of the Tcontrol temperature. As you said, cooler is better, but then there is the balance between cool and fan noise.

    The mother board temperature seems a bit high simply compared to other mother boards, but that ignores details about your board. It has the LSI SAS controller chip, and two PLX PEX8747 chips for the quad SLI support. Both add heat to the board, which likely varies depending on their usage. It looks like some or all of them are cooled by the same heat sink as the X79 chip. Cooling those extra chips no doubt causes the X79 chip's temperature to be a little higher.

    You'll need to experiment with that heat sink's fan speed and set points, since each PC is different as well as your usage of your board's features. IMO there isn't one correct setting or answer, that depends on you and your priorities.

    WOW! What a load of great information!!! Not just the "basic" info, but detailed and explained! Thank you very much, truly appreciated!!

    All the best!

  8. #8
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tau Ceti
    Posts
    3,140

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them!

    The temperature info for the X79 chipset was taken from an Intel document, which I should have offered you a look at too, this is it:

    http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...pset-guide.pdf

    Section 3, page 12 has the temperature information. It's a bit technical, but an interesting read. I was surprised Intel recommends using a fan cooled heat sink, which they describe in the document, as well as a passive type.

    The tiny fans used for chipset coolers are always noisy, or can be at full speed. Setting up your case fans to move more air across the mother board could lower those temps even more, good luck!

  9. #9
    kaare_t's Avatar
    kaare_t is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 - MB Temperatures

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them!

    The temperature info for the X79 chipset was taken from an Intel document, which I should have offered you a look at too, this is it:

    Page Unavailable

    Section 3, page 12 has the temperature information. It's a bit technical, but an interesting read. I was surprised Intel recommends using a fan cooled heat sink, which they describe in the document, as well as a passive type.

    The tiny fans used for chipset coolers are always noisy, or can be at full speed. Setting up your case fans to move more air across the mother board could lower those temps even more, good luck!

    Thank you very much again! It seems I have to improve my google-fu in the future since the spec was just lying at Intel waiting for me.... Again, thank you very much!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •