Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable to get successful POST for ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD in new build; possible memory issue

jalfano85 is offline Junior Member

Default Unable to get successful POST for ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD in new build; possible memory issue

Hi,

I am doing my first build of a system and I am running into an issue. I really would appreciate any suggestions or guidance. My components are as follows:

CPU:
    AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX (AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX - Newegg.com)

Mother board:
    ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS (ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com)

Memory:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM - Newegg.com)

Graphics card:
    SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card (SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com)

When I power up the system with the memory installed, I get a no-POST-beep/no-video situation.

I followed the tip sheet on the Tom's Hardware (PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems! - Product - Systems). When I got to steps 6 and 7, I tried removing all of the memory and powering the system up. When I did this, I got a 3-beep error code, as expected, indicating a memory issue, since there was no memory installed.

When I put either of the memory sticks in any of the 4 memory slots, I would always get a no-POST-beep/no-video result.

So I think that the fact that I got a 3-beep POST error code with no memory and a no-POST-beep/no-video with either memory stick in any of the memory slots indicates that the mother board is powering up correct and that memory is an issue. So it could mean one of the following:

1) both memory sticks are bad, OR
    2) all 4 memory slots are bad, OR
    3) the memory is incompatible with the ASRock 990FX Extreme3

Is that the right way to think if this? Do you think my conclusion is correct?

To see if the memory is incompatible with the mother board, I looked at the approved memory list on your site (ASRock > 990FX Extreme3). My memory was not on there. However, I was really surprised to see that there were only 2 or 3 approved 2x8GB products listed. So of all of the hundreds of 2x8GB DDR3 memory products available, only 3 of them will work on this board?

Do you know if the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 memory is compatible with the ASRock 990FX Extreme3?

Is there anything else I could do or try? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next?

This is my first build, and I really would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

Thanks so much for the help!

Joe

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Default Re: Unable to get successful POST for ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD in new build; possible memory issue

Normally I'd suggest making sure the BIOS has the latest released revision flashed but seeings you're in a no boot situation ..........

On your boards lower right corner there's a sticker over the BIOS chip that denotes the "factory' installed/flashed BIOS revision. Assuming the board is new, and not open-boxed or used previously, what revision is it flashed to??

Do you have a friend that you can borrow one or two of his sticks from to test with?

Have you re-seated the CPU? I know, a PITA ....... but ..

Remove the MB from the case and place it on a NON-conductive surface(box the MB came in) and test to see if it performs the same way.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Unable to get successful POST for ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD in new build; possible memory issue

Quote Originally Posted by jalfano85 View Post
    Hi,

... My memory was not on there. However, I was really surprised to see that there were only 2 or 3 approved 2x8GB products listed. So of all of the hundreds of 2x8GB DDR3 memory products available, only 3 of them will work on this board?

Do you know if the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 memory is compatible with the ASRock 990FX Extreme3?

Is there anything else I could do or try? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next?

This is my first build, and I really would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

Thanks so much for the help!

Joe
    IMO, a first time PC builder should definitely choose memory from the board's compatible memory list. That removes a major unknown for the builder if they have problems starting the PC.

Unfortunately, we cannot just choose whatever memory we would like to use in a PC, there are compatibility limitations that cause some models to be unusable.

(Sorry but the rest of this just helps to explain why memory is incompatible, not what memory to use.)

Don't forget that your FX-8320 processor has an, "Integrated DRAM Controller with AMD Memory Optimizer Technology". So the memory controller (IDC for AMD, IMC for Intel) is part of the CPU itself, as is common with the last several generations of processors.

To what extent a mother board used with this type of processor still influences the compatibility of various models of DRAM, is a good question. Frankly I don't know.

Actually, when the memory controller was a part of the board's "Northbridge" chipset, which is normally made by the same manufacture as the CPU, that again would seem to be at least partially independent of the mother board itself. Blaming a mother board for memory incompatibility, which we usually do, may be completely wrong.

I've seen documentation in older mother board manuals stating that certain kinds of memory chips used in some DIMMs were incompatible (which is where we got the idea the board is the culprit.)

As an example, this table is from the Intel Sandy Bridge processor data sheet, regarding memory compatibility:

Name:  SB DIMM specs.PNG
Views: 1001
Size:  28.5 KB

DRAM Device in this table are types/configurations of the memory chips used in DDR3 DIMMs. There are many different types made.

This is another important bit of information from the same document: DDR3 DRAM Device Technology: 1-Gb, 2-Gb, and 4 Gb DDR3 DRAM Device
    technologies and addressing are supported.
    That means that 1, 2, and 4 Gbit memory chips are supported. So 8Gb memory chips are not supported. We can see from that table that there are many different DIMM configuration attributes (raw card version, bank, rank, etc) which is rather complicated. Matching these specs for a certain model of memory (if you can find them) with those of a memory controller (same thing here) is not something most people want to do.

Do we now have a little more respect for memory QVL/compatibility lists?

I could not find a detailed specification document for AMD Bulldozer processors, but it might be somewhere in this huge collection of AMD documents that AMD users might find interesting: Documentation & Articles | AMD

This is from an AMD FX processor model number comparison table: 1866 supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel) in single memory slot motherboard designs This does not explain your problem, but is an example of an IDC specification. I'm not sure if this is just a guaranteed memory spec (as Intel uses, and can be surpassed) or a true limitation.

Now I can speculate why so few 8G DIMMs may only work with your...CPU/board. Many of them use memory chips that are not compatible with the AMD FX IDC. That looks like one out of many possible reasons.

EDIT: First, checking G.SKILL's own QVL for this memory (RipjawsX -F3-1866C9D-16GXM - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory), we find that ASRock, Biostar, ECS, and Gigabyte have zero 990FX boards compatible with this memory. OTOH, ASUS has two compatible boards, and MSI has one. So it looks like calling this memory 990FX compatible is barely true.

But second, checking G.SKILL's RAM Configurator for the ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 board, the G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM memory is listed as compatible (scroll way down to 1866):

G.SKILL RAM Configurator
    Last edited by parsec; 10-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Normally I'd suggest making sure the BIOS has the latest released revision flashed but seeings you're in a no boot situation ..........

On your boards lower right corner there's a sticker over the BIOS chip that denotes the "factory' installed/flashed BIOS revision. Assuming the board is new, and not open-boxed or used previously, what revision is it flashed to??

Do you have a friend that you can borrow one or two of his sticks from to test with?

Have you re-seated the CPU? I know, a PITA ....... but ..

Remove the MB from the case and place it on a NON-conductive surface(box the MB came in) and test to see if it performs the same way.
    Thanks wardog for the tips. I will try your tips and see what I find.

Thanks parsec for the detailed information! It was very helpful. Thanks also for the g.skill RAM Configurator link. I see my RAM on there, so that is reassuring. In retrospect, I wish I would have purchased RAM that was officially listed on the motherboard site as compatible, but live and learn... Thanks again.

Vykker is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalfano85 View Post
    Thanks parsec for the detailed information! It was very helpful. Thanks also for the g.skill RAM Configurator link. I see my RAM on there, so that is reassuring. In retrospect, I wish I would have purchased RAM that was officially listed on the motherboard site as compatible, but live and learn... Thanks again.
    Good Day,

I see that this thread is a little old I, but I wanted to take a moment to ask to ask jalfano85 if your RAM selection/configuration was the culprit, and if you found a solution to your error ?
    I had started a new thread asking about a potential solution to this same issue, with no avail yet.
    So far I have patiently changed my BIOS chip in my 990FX M/B, nothing, swapped my RAM sticks around, which should be but are not directly stated as compatible, and still no signal from my Radeon-HD6570.

Quote Originally Posted by Vykker View Post
    Good Day,

I see that this thread is a little old I, but I wanted to take a moment to ask to ask jalfano85 if your RAM selection/configuration was the culprit, and if you found a solution to your error ?
    I had started a new thread asking about a potential solution to this same issue, with no avail yet.
    So far I have patiently changed my BIOS chip in my 990FX M/B, nothing, swapped my RAM sticks around, which should be but are not directly stated as compatible, and still no signal from my Radeon-HD6570.

Hi Vykker,

My issue ended up being that I had purchased an incompatible mother board. Even though the mother board had a AM3+, it was incompatible with the AMD FX-8320 processor. Once I purchase the correct mother board ( ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com) everything worked fine.

Thread Information