Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 UEFI Built-In EFI Shell Missing

kinyodas is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 UEFI Built-In EFI Shell Missing

Good Day All,

Let me preface by stating I have contacted ASRock support (email rejected) and have searched through these forums before asking for help with my issue.

I have an ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 Motherboard completely updated. I am trying to configure the system with the UEFI RAID. According to all the documentation I have: both the digital that came on the disk with the board and the manual.

The instruction state to:
    - Set the UEFI Advanced> Storage Configuration>SATA Mode to RAID MODE - done.
    - Set the UEFI Mode for GPT partition to on-board RAID 3TB unlocker - done.

It then stated to press F11 to enter the boot manual and choose UEFI: Built in EFI Shell. It is at this point I am at a loss as the shell is not a boot option, I can see the disks and optical drives, but no shell. I have checked the entire manual , looked online and have consulted with everyone in my department but we are at a loss.

If anyone has an idea if what is missing I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Byron

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 UEFI Built-In EFI Shell Missing

I'm not certain this applies to your board, but my ASRock Intel board has this option in the Exit screen:

Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device
    Copy shellx64.efi to the root directory to launch EFI Shell.

What is meant to happen is this option will cause the board to search for the "shellx64.efi" file in a bootable device connected to the PC.

I've read that can be a USB flash drive with the shellx64.efi file copied to its root directory. You provide your own copy of the shellx64.efi file.

Searching the Internet will provide several free sources. Personally, I've had poor luck running it, it never works right. Also, I've read the file name must be other than "shellx64.efi", you may find that in your search hits too.

I know another AMD user was able to do what you are trying to do, they had a thread that is a few pages back from this one if you care to find it.

Thanks,

I did see the option but I figured since the shell stated it was built-in, an external file shouldn't be necessary. I tried the Windows shell but it didn't work. I am trying the shell I found on SourceForge but it isn't working correctly. I will continue to look and try and I will update my findings.

Again, thanks for your direction,

Byron

We have searched the forums and looked online and downloaded and tried more "shells" than should be necessary and none of them work correctly for one reason or another. This is the last AS Rock product we purchase. Back to NewEgg with a bad review to boot.

Thanks anyway.

Hang on, question for you: What BIOS version does your board have?

I looked for the thread I mentioned earlier but could not find it. As I recall, that user did not need to add his own shell file. It can exist in other places.

BIOS 1.10 mentions "Update UEFI RAID driver", which may be what you need.

The BIOS version is listed as a date in the POST screen as 10/2/2013 I believe - I can't be sure as I removed the board from the case.

I checked the disk and the ASRock website but turned up nothing.

But if you have a lead, I'll wait a bit.

Thanks,

Byron

I also updated the UEFI via the network update to the latest a few days ago - I believe it pulled it from a European server.

Then you have the latest version which should have what I was hoping would work for you. The factory BIOS version is on a sticker on the CMOS chip on the board.

The sticker says:

970 PR
    03 R2
    P1.20-15B

odiebugs is offline Member

@ kinyodas:

If you are just trying to install windows in UEFI.

I don't see the part where you say you created the RAID array, you can't pick a boot option to a drive that was not created. Unless you just didn't post every step.

Should be just set the Sata controller to RAID, like you said, after restart you make the RAID array, name it, set stripe, ect.

Then restart and run the boot options, in the boot options you should see either the USB or disk drive that has the windows OS and it will say UEFI.

You need to make sure that the windows disk or USB flash has the UEFI boot file, or you will not be able to UEFI install, until you add the boot to it.

The BIOS chip started at version 1.20. You should update to 1.30 as this has a memory support fix, and update to 1.50, if you plan to install windows 8, as this has a secure boot update.

If you want to see exactly what version is on it now, the easy way, just DL CPUZ and check mobo tab.

Normally you don't update the BIOS (UEFI) unless you need it.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-03-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information