TweakTown Forums now supported by Tapatalk!

Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By odiebugs

Thread: ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7 - Doesn't see drive on install

BobH is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7 - Doesn't see drive on install

Hello All,

I have been had this build up and running two hours after it was delivered, so far I have spent an additional 5 hours trying to get the OS installed? Problem is no matter what I have done after Windows7 set up dosn't see the target drive to install the OS.

I'm installing from USB key and have the ASrock Installation CD and all the updated drivers on an additional USB key. I'm quite certain that I need to be using the F6 install drivers so that the OS can see the drive connected to the Intel sata port. But obviously I'm am doing something wrong. Frustration is building, someone please point me in the right direction

odiebugs is offline Member

Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7 - Doesn't see drive on install

Some info please.

SSD or HDD, what port is the drive on, what color, if black, are they the 0, or the A0, what have you set in the bios for sata, is the drive new or used ?

It doesn't matter if you are installing a single drive or a raid array, you don't need drivers, win 7 has them as default.

Do you actually get to the point screen that say's, where to install windows, but there is no disk listed ?

Go to bios, advanced, storage config, set Sata mode AHCI, Aggressive disabled, Asmedia disabled, Hard smart enabled.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-10-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Some info please.

SSD or HDD, what port is the drive on, what color, what have you set in the bios for sata, is the drive new or used ?

It doesn't matter if you are installing a single drive or a raid array, you don't need drivers, win 7 has them as default.

Do you actually get to the point screen that say's, where to install windows, but there is no disk listed ?
    This is a verified working WD Raptor 10000 rpm HDD that I had in an array. I was just going to install the OS on it and burn in this new rig. The Bios is set for AHCI and does see the drive in the bios.

But again as it try's to install the OS doesn't see any target drives and is asking for storage drivers. Yes I do get to the point where it is looking for the drive to install.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Did you format after removing from array, you really should clean the drive with a wipe, and zero it out, unless it's only for a short run and you plan to use another drive.

If just for testing, can you format the drive on another system.

What size is the HDD ? Did you set the bios to what I posted ?

Are you sure your in Sata 0 port ?

Are you installing UEFI or MBR ?

What BIOS version is on the board ?
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-10-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Did you format after removing from array, you really should clean the drive with a wipe, and zero it out, unless it's only for a short run and you plan to use another drive.

If just for testing, can you format the drive on another system.

What size is the HDD ? Did you set the bios to what I posted ?

Are you sure your in Sata 0 port ?

Are you installing UEFI or MBR ?
    The Drive is only 75GB and it is not formatted, I was going to do that on the install, however it was removed from the array. Yes I'm just using this as a temporary drive to burn this system in.

I am in SATA3_0 port and installing in UEFI.

Unless I missed something you did not give any particular instructions on setting the bios?

Aggressive disabled, Asmedia disabled, Hard smart enabled, just for now.

With these settings, try again after a format.

If the same happens, get to the windows drive page of installing, click on advanced, click on load driver, then browse to the asrock DVD, look for driver folder, sata, RST, 12.7 , you should get a list, click on AHCI 64 or 32. This will load the AHCI driver.

If this does not get the HDD to be seen, start over but set the Sata mode to IDE and try again.
    parsec likes this.

Thread Information