Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SATA device type

spcxxx is offline Junior Member

Default SATA device type

What exactly does switch SATA DEVICE TYPE in BIOS?

It is available in AHCI mode just for SATA3 ports 0 and 1 and it has two possibilities - `hard disk driver` and `solid state drive`

In every manual i can find there is no comment for this....

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: SATA device type

You are right, I have never seen a description of what the difference between those two setting means.

My guess is, these settings set other settings that are optimal for either a SSD or HDD (wow, big surprise, right?)

For example, older mother boards would have a setting for HDDs, that was like a timer you could set, from say 30 seconds to 0 seconds. Whatever amount of seconds you chose would delay POST while the HDD(s) started up. HDDs take longer to start up than SSDs, and older HDDs took longer than newer HDDs.

If you use a SSD for your OS drive, which should be on SATA port 0 or 1 (SATA III ports), there is no need for a delay to wait for the SSD to start up. That would make the POST time shorter, and the PC will boot faster.

There could be other settings that are better for SSDs or HDDs that choosing SSD or HDD for that option is preferred.

spcxxx is offline Junior Member

I already wrote to ASROCK support too.
    I'm that type of person that like to know how things work and it is really annoying just to guess...

I'm finding very interesting the fact it is available just for ports 0 and 1... but why?

And what person should i ask?

btw. i looked in datasheet of P67 chipset from intel and there are plenty chipset register settings, but as long as i read it i saw no suitable registers that should be attached to this switch -> there are `global setting` for whole controller and some setting divided for every SATA port too...
    I can't find no settings just for first two ports alone.
    Last edited by spcxxx; 11-20-2013 at 01:01 AM.

parsec is online now Senior Member

You just reminded me of something. What is special about the Intel SATA ports 0 and 1? Both are SATA III, 6Gb/s.

My ASR Z77 board has two SATA III ports, 0 and 1, and has the "SSD" and "HDD" setting only on those ports. My ASR Z87 board has six Intel SATA III ports, and all six of them have the "SSD" and "HDD" setting.

Why SATA III should matter with a HDD or SSD, I don't know. All so called SATA III HDDs do not even surpass SATA II speeds, or usually even SATA I speeds, but otherwise I am at a loss to explain what is the difference. I have not seen this "SSD" and "HDD" setting on other mother boards, but the last board I've used that was not an ASR board is an ASUS P67 board.

If you hear anything from ASRock, let us know. If I contacted ASR every time I had a question about a BIOS setting explanation, they would be quite sick of me by now...

Thread Information