Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z87 Extreme4 AHCI and windows 7

Egas is offline Junior Member

Default Z87 Extreme4 AHCI and windows 7

Hi,
    Sort of a newbie here as the last time i built a computer was more than 10 years ago.

I got the mobo, and when trying to install windows the installation failed looking for drivers for the "CD/DVD drive".. So booting from DVD was ok, but once installation started it complained it needed a driver for the DVD drive.. that was resolved by changing the the SATA type to IDE.

Why is that? is there a way to revert it back to AHCI? according to the documentation it supposed to have better performance like that.

Also, i tried to load the drivers/utilities from the DVD that came with the motherboard and when attempting to install Intel Rapid Storage drive/utility it fails with the error that is not a supported platform.. (drivers from intel website, drivers that comes with the motherboard and even drivers that can be downloaded from ASRock support site.

Is this normal? should i be concerned of a faulty motherboard?

thanks!

To add, I have been reading that i could install Win 7 with AHCI enabled and Win7 will either ask for the drivers or i can specify the driver to use for the HDD once ready for installation.. the big question, where do i get that driver from?.
    Last edited by Egas; 12-08-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: expanded (even more!) the question.

Default Re: Z87 Extreme4 AHCI and windows 7

Further reading and searching.... the actual problem seems to be that the USB ports do not seem to be fully functional once Windows finish loading the initial files to start the installation.

I have a USB DVD drive from where i am booting, the intial steps for windows installation starts, but it gets to a point where the only thing it can browse for drivers is the virtual drive it created and mapped to Z drive.

Mouse (which is also USB) nor the DVD Drive is recognized and that is why is asking for the DVD Drive drivers. I'll continue try and search, but if anybody has pity and share some info, it would be appreciated.

PS: that random question is always the same!

parsec is online now Senior Member

You must use a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O panel if you must use a USB DVD drive. Otherwise you will need drivers, since I assume you are using a USB 3.0 port.

It also sounds like your OS drive is connected to an ASMedia SATA port, not an Intel port. The two ports at the "top" of the stack of ports are ASMedia, the rest below them are Intel. Don't use the ASMedia for installing an OS, or for use with an OS too, the Intel SATA ports are much better.

Switch back to AHCI, since that is better for performance, and unrelated to the USB DVD drive issue.

You need to sort out the SATA port issue before we talk drivers.

Thanks Parsec for replying.

yes, the mouse and DVD Drive were plugged to the UBS2.0 ports (the ones right above the PS/2 port) and the HDD has always been connected to the intel port (i did read that in the guide).

i started all over again (set bios back to default) and boot up once again. I found the drivers within the CDthat came with the motherboard and copied them to a USB thumb drive. Not sure what happened but this time mouse, drive and all was recognized during the windows instalation. when it presented the different partitions it had for me to choose, i was able to browse for the driver and load the intel AHCI driver.. everything went fine and now i can see in Windows that the SATA drive is using the intel driver.

who knows what was going on that it could not find it the first time.

Thanks!

Thread Information