Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asrock z87 Extreme6 - Failed Internet Bios Update

salvichi is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock z87 Extreme6 - Failed Internet Bios Update

To begin - I understand I should not have attempted to update the BIOS. To make it worse I tried using Internet flash from within UEFI but I guess when its destined it just happens. So to brief here's the situation:

Yesterday I assembled my first desktop PC using Asrock z87 Extreme6 Motherboard with i7-4770K processor. After assembling the PC, I was able to get the PC booted into UEFI in the first try and may be in that excitement I decided to update the BIOS from within the UEFI using Internet.
    One of the reason was I wanted to attempt installing Hackintosh and people have been able to do that using 2.20 BIOS hence wanted to do that. Interestingly it seemed everything was going through fine and then the dreadful happened - the BIOS kept displaying the debug codes F2 / F9.

At that point I was completely lost and after waiting for 10-15 mins. I could not get anything so I shut down the PC and tried to search for information.

This is what I have tried so far:
    1. I saw a similar post on this forum and tried to attempt the USB boot by putting the Instant Flash BIOS zip file on the USB drive and using the USB port on the board. But no luck.
    2. I also have contacted Asrock support and they told me to toggle between BIOS 1 and 2 and I tried that but no luck there as well.

Now the PC does not power on. I am hoping that this is all due to BIOS and nothing else.

So now completely stuck and no clue what to do next. Hence requesting for any direction I can get from the experts. Again I know I have dug myself in the pit and have not stopped to this point repenting on my mistake - although in all honesty the way Asrock advertises Internet Flash, they make it sound very simple and reliable and therefore I fell to the temptation. Not justifying but looking for HELP - PLEASE !!

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Default Re: Asrock z87 Extreme6 - Failed Internet Bios Update

Hello and welcome to TweakTown ........

It's not powering on with either BIOS A or B "engaged' ?

Are there ANY signs the MB or peripherals are powering up? LED's, HDD or CPU fan begins spinning up?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Hello and welcome to TweakTown ........

It's not powering on with either BIOS A or B "engaged' ?

Are there ANY signs the MB or peripherals are powering up? LED's, HDD or CPU fan begins spinning up?
    Merry X'Mas and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Nope the system is not powering on with either BIOS A or B. None of the startup LED's / HDD or CPU fans spin.
    The only indicator I have seen is the Orange light on the Ethernet port.

I'll throw this out here but I don't believe it'll be of help at this point. Have you tried clearing the backup B BIOS by the long method?

The following assumes you have not discovered and performed or attempted to flash BIOS B. AFAIK this is not possible for end-users w/o physically pulling the BIOS chip B from the MB. Which I am not promoting here.

Note:
    Follow the below steps on the BIOS choice you did NOT bad flash 2.20 to. If the results of your not having a bootable machine occurred while performing the bad flash the BIOS switch was in the A position please set the BIOS switch to the B position FIRST before proceeding further. DO NOT MISTAKENLY CLEAR THE BIOS OF THE ONE YOU BAD FLASHED.

Clear the BIOS the long method. Unplug power from wall, wait 1 minute, remove CMOS battery, jumper CLRCMOS1 and let it sit this way for about half an hour. Or overnight. Then reverse the order to get it back to bootable, and retry.

Below is what I am aiming for should the B BIOS maybe might recover itself after the above steps:

From the online manual, pg. 33
    This motherboard has two BIOS chips, a primary BIOS (BIOS_A) and a backup BIOS (BIOS_
    B), which enhances the safety and stability of your system. Normally, the system will work
    on the primary BIOS. However, if the primary BIOS is corrupted or damaged, just flip the
    BIOS Selection Switch to “B”, then the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot.
    After that, use “Secure Backup UEFI” in the UEFI Setup Utility to duplicate a working copy
    of the BIOS files to the primary BIOS to ensure normal system operation.
    For safety issues,
    users are not able to update the backup BIOS manually. Users may refer to the BIOS LEDs
    (BIOS_A_LED or BIOS_B_LED) to identify which BIOS is currently activated.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 12-26-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Thanks again, Can you please confirm if I got the steps correct or misunderstood them?

1. Set the BIOS switch to the B Position.
    2. Unplug power from the wall.
    3. Wait for 1 minute
    4. Remove CMOS battery.
    5. Remove Jumper CLRCMOS1
    6. Let the MotherBoard sit this way for half an hour or overnight.

Then -

1. Insert the Jumper CLRCMOS1
    2. Insert the CMOS Battery
    3. Wait for a minute and connect the power cable.
    4. Keeping the BIOS at position B - start the Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by salvichi View Post
    Thanks again, Can you please confirm if I got the steps correct or misunderstood them?
    Close

1. Unplug power from the wall.
    2. Wait for 1 minute
    3. Set the BIOS switch to the B Position
    4. Remove CMOS battery
    5. Jumper CLRCMOS1 to pins 2-3 (Clear CMOS posiition)
    6. Let the Motherboard sit this way for half an hour or overnight

Then -

1. Jumper CLRCMOS1 back to pins 1-2 (Default run position)
    3. Connect the power cable
    4. Keeping the BIOS at position B - start the Computer - Hopefully ......

Close

1. Unplug power from the wall.
    2. Wait for 1 minute
    3. Set the BIOS switch to the B Position
    4. Remove CMOS battery
    5. Jumper CLRCMOS1 to pins 2-3 (Clear CMOS posiition)
    6. Let the Motherboard sit this way for half an hour or overnight

Then -

1. Jumper CLRCMOS1 back to pins 1-2 (Default run position)
    3. Connect the power cable
    4. Keeping the BIOS at position B - start the Computer - Hopefully ......
    Great - thanks for clarifying. Will give it a try and hope that this revives the system.

This is what I have tried so far:
    1. I saw a similar post on this forum and tried to attempt the USB boot by putting the Instant Flash BIOS zip file on the USB drive and using the USB port on the board. But no luck.
    To use the "ASRock Crashless BIOS" feature the Instant Flash file should first be unzipped to a dir on the HDD, then only the files themselves transferred to the root of an empty FAT32 formatted USB stick and the stick placed in a USB 2.0, not USB 3.0, port at the rear I/O panel.

Online manual, pg. 8:
    Code:
    ASRock Crashless BIOS
    ASRock Crashless BIOS allows users to update their BIOS without fear of failing. If
    power loss occurs during the BIOS updating process, ASRock Crashless BIOS will
    automatically finish the BIOS update procedure after regaining power. Please note
    that BIOS files need to be placed in the root directory of your USB disk. Only USB 2.0
    ports support this feature.

To use the "ASRock Crashless BIOS" feature the Instant Flash file should first be unzipped to a dir on the HDD, then only the files themselves transferred to the root of an empty FAT32 formatted USB stick and the stick placed in a USB 2.0, not USB 3.0, port at the rear I/O panel.

Online manual, pg. 8:
    Code:
    ASRock Crashless BIOS
    ASRock Crashless BIOS allows users to update their BIOS without fear of failing. If
    power loss occurs during the BIOS updating process, ASRock Crashless BIOS will
    automatically finish the BIOS update procedure after regaining power. Please note
    that BIOS files need to be placed in the root directory of your USB disk. Only USB 2.0
    ports support this feature.
    Thanks for clarifying. I will put the actual Z87Ex62.20 file to the root of the USB file instead of the zip file. I was using the USB port on the motherboard itself. I guess I need to use the rear panel USB 2.0 port. Also I am assuming that the BIOS switch has to be A. Just worried and so do not want to make any more assumptions.

Also I am assuming that the BIOS switch has to be A. Just worried and so do not want to make any more assumptions.
    Well, I'm out on a limb somewhat in my assumptions being made here.

Yes, if you're going to try the Crashless recovery/savior switch it to the A BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information