Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Boot Problem ASrock 990FX Extreme9

Demolux_D1 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Boot Problem ASrock 990FX Extreme9

Hello,

Today I tried to build my PC in its Case. Before, the PC worked well with Win7 and was just build open on the anti-static material on a shelf.

But when I started the PC, it said: Please select proper Boot device. So I checked the Cables and the Boot order and it was all right. It just could not boot Win7 from the 80 Gb WD harddrive anymore... . I was confused and connected a DVDdrive. There I inserted the Win7 DVD. I changed the Boot order, but after a longer time it displayed the same again: Please select proper Boot device.... . I never heard the hardrive-arm moving, it was only spinning. Also i never heard the DVDrom drive searching only when I inserted the DVD... . I am a bit confused now. What could be the fault? Any suggestions? thank you

By the way: I booted Linux via USB-Stick and this worked well. There I started Gparted and it also displayed the Win7 Partition with the boot flag and so on. Wierd, isn't it?

Demolux
    Last edited by Demolux_D1; 12-31-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Default Re: Boot Problem ASrock 990FX Extreme9

Hello Guys,

the problem is solved: I plugged the boot device in into the SataA1 slot. It should be plugged into the Sata3_1 untuil Sata3_6 slot. Unfortunately I also plugged the DVDrom drive into the SataA2 slot.... .

Therefor, the problem could be seen as solvd. Thank you

- wardog - is online now Spam Killer

With this boards or any other boards ASMedia SATA controllers I only use them for CD/DVD/BD drives and also storage drives. The ASMedia controllers are notoriously slower than the "native' SB950 controller.

Though, the ASMedia controller can be used to boot from but req's "SATA Boot ROM" in the BIOS to be toggled as such.

ASRock even states both above to be true on pg 64 of the online manual:

Code:
    We recommend to use SATA3_1 to SATA3_6 ports for your
    bootable device. This will minimum your boot time and get the
    best performance. But if you still want to boot from ASMedia
    SATA3 controller, please set this item to [Yes].

Note:
    Do not use the metalicized(sp?) anti-static bags that motherboards come packaged in when bought. They have been know to cause shorting and other irreversible damage due to the sharp pins on the underside.

It's best just to rest the motherboard directly upon the box it came in, bare, with nothing between.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Oh thank you for the advice I will put the anti static thing away.

Thread Information