Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

pedromarga is online now Junior Member

Default Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

I've updated my AsRock Z87E-ITX UEFI to version 2.30, I followed the instructions here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Everything worked as expected, the computer booted and I was able to login on Windows.

But even my memory being rated as 1600MHz it causes BSOD errors when it's on this clock.

So I rebooted the computer, pressed F2 and, on UEFI, I set some preferences (mainly video shared memory to 1024 MB, Enable Wake On Lan and CPU Fan speed settings) and underclocked my RAM to 1333 MHz. * I'm not sure, but I think I did something wrong at this point, maybe I set the RAM clock to 2XXX MHz instead of 1XXX MHz *

I rebooted the computer (save and exit UEFI), and now I am receiving a beep message on POST:
    SHORT BEEP - SHORT BEEP - SHORT BEEP - SHORT SILENCE - SHORT BEEP - SHORT BEEP - SHORT BEEP - LONG SILENCE - LOOP

The fan runs and the monitor is black.

If I remove all my RAM sticks, the computer also beeps (as expected) but the beep sequence is different.

I tried to clean my CMOS by removing the power chord and pressing the CMOS Update button for 5, 10, 15, 20 seconds. I removed the battery for 1 night and pressed the clear CMOS button again, tried to shortcut the jumper and the problem continues.

I tried to use only one stick of RAM on both slots and it didn't help.

So I ask:
    How can I be sure the CMOS was cleaned?
    What is the correct procedure of doing that?
    What does this BIP Code means?
    What else should I try?
    Is my motherboard dead??

ASRock Z87E-ITX BIOS 2.30
    i5 4570S
    Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Intel HD Graphics 4600
    OCZ 128GB Vector Series SSD
    Last edited by pedromarga; 01-09-2014 at 02:09 AM.

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Default Re: Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

Hello and welcome to TweakTown.

1. Unplug power cord from the wall
    2. Wait for 1 minute
    3. Remove CMOS battery
    4. Place a jumper across CLRCMOS1 (Clear CMOS position)
    5. Let the Motherboard sit this way for half an hour or overnight

Then -

1. Remove the jumper from CLRCMOS1 (Default run position)
    2. Insert the CMOS Battery
    3. Connect the power cable
    4. Start the Computer - Hopefully ......
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

parsec is online now Senior Member

The three short beeps is a memory error, which could be just from having it set to the wrong speed.

The CMOS/BIOS clear instructions wardog gave you are correct, but the CMOS clear button you tried should have worked with the PC's power off. Check the manual for pictures about using the jumper on the board.

When you start the PC again, press the Reset button on your PC's case.

Did you put the battery back in right? The side with writing on it must be up.

You should be using slots A2 and B2 for your memory.

How do you know the BSOD was caused by your memory?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The three short beeps is a memory error, which could be just from having it set to the wrong speed.
    The sound sequence is different comparing when I remove both memory modules, still a memory error? I'm going to upload the recorded sound to Youtube soon so you can check.

Edit.

With at least one stick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vFa7vGZQng
    With no stick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y67UOFJ064Q

Can it be a memory controller error? Because the memory stick is fine (I tested on another PC) and I left the motherboard for 3 days with no battery so the CMOS should be cleaned!

The CMOS/BIOS clear instructions wardog gave you are correct, but the CMOS clear button you tried should have worked with the PC's power off. Check the manual for pictures about using the jumper on the board.
    Unfortunately I triple checked the jumper position.

When you start the PC again, press the Reset button on your PC's case.
    I pressed, it resets the PC (the beep "counter" started from 0) but the same happened (black screen, beep pattern)

Did you put the battery back in right? The side with writing on it must be up.
    I did and the side is correct, I also tried with no battery and the PC didn't even turn on. I measured the battery voltage and it's 3,1V, is that correct?

You should be using slots A2 and B2 for your memory.
    The motherboard has only 2 memory slots, but I tried both with both memories (all possible combinations). I know the RAM is working because I tested it on another PC.

How do you know the BSOD was caused by your memory?
    After a lot of trial and error I noticed if I removed 1 memory stick the BSOD stopped. So I inserted the two sticks and underclocked it. I used the PC like that for 2 months (and no BSOD). Now I updated my BIOS and it returned to default "auto" clock, the BSOD returned and that's the why I tried to underclock it again.

I read a little about CMOS and BIOS and learned the CMOS and BIOS are not at the same IC, is that true? I also read the CMOS is a RAM memory, so there is no way it keeps the config if I remove the battery for a long time, true? For that reason, I'm going to replace the BIOS IC but, if the problem is the CMOS itself, it's not going to get fix
    Last edited by pedromarga; 01-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.

I doubt that your CMOS memory is damaged or that you need to replace your BIOS IC.

Clearing the BIOS settings is not difficult, I normally just move the jumper to the clear position, leave it there for several minutes, and replace it. The clear CMOS buttons that two boards I use have also work fine.

Is your memory in your board's memory compatibility list? What is the full model number of your memory?

Not all memory will work with a mother board, if it is not in the compatibility list, it will be just luck if it works.

Thanks!

I don't know if they are compatible (I didn't know RAM had compatibility issues), but I used for 3 months.

My memory kit is: Patriot PV316G160C9K - 16GB 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) DDR3

There is also "PD000278" written on it.

At the weekend I'm going to try another memory kit!

What PSU make and model are you using?

The ATX12V1 connection. Too dark to see but do you have the 4pin(looks like 4 anyways) plugged into the correct 4 holes of the MB's ATX12V1 connector?

And what the heck is that ghetto wiring I see in those vids? Are you using the floppy power connection to power the exhaust fan at the rear of your case?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Mine: ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic X-750 Gold, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Hers: ASRock 990FX Extreme4, FX-4170, 16GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-650 Gold, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015, PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

You've used that memory for six months, correct?

Your Patriot PV316G160C9K - 16GB 1600MHz memory is not listed in the Memory Support list, so it may not work correctly with your board. But if you have been using it at least partially successfully, it may be fine. Trying different memory is a good idea.

I also could not see where the CPU power cable was connected. Please answer wardog's questions for us, that would be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    What PSU make and model are you using?

The ATX12V1 connection. Too dark to see but do you have the 4pin(looks like 4 anyways) plugged into the correct 4 holes of the MB's ATX12V1 connector?

And what the heck is that ghetto wiring I see in those vids? Are you using the floppy power connection to power the exhaust fan at the rear of your case?
    I can't remember the brand and model of the PSU, it's a bit old (10 years), but it's not a generic one and rated as 400W. I don't think I need more power with no videocard, mechanical harddrive and overclock. I checked the voltages using a voltmeter and they are stable. I was going to replace the PSU when replacing the case, but it's hard to find to buy a nice itx case.

Yes, I'm using a 4 pin female connector on a 8 pin male connector (motherboard). The Z87E-ITX manual says it can be done, so I believed.

The wires are like that because of the plug/unplug of the 24 pin connector. I can't remember why, but yes, the fan is connected trough the floopy power connector.

Thank guys!

Any PSU that's 10yrs old does not have the power rails distributed for today's motherboards and processors.

Older motherboards/processors relied heavily on the 3.3v and 5v rails, while demanding less of the 12v rail. Today's motherboards/processors, such as your Z87E-ITX/i5-4570S, demand a lot more of the 12v rail and far less of the 3.3v and 5v.

Then we get to capacitor aging. While you checked the voltages, volts is only half the equation. And dare I say volts is the easy part of the equation while discussing computer power supplies.

Anyways, let us know how you get on with the new memory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information