Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 OC Formula and Intel RST

Ken429 is online now Member

Default Z77 OC Formula and Intel RST

Here I go again. IRST stopped working on my Z77 OC Formula/3770K W8.1 system. It was working and something (MSFT Update) caused it to go bad. Any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated.
    Z77 OC Formula BIOS Version P2.30, 3770K @ 4.5 GHZ, 2X4GB Ripjaws Z 2400-10, Seasonic X750, Apogee HD Water Cooling, 3X120 Rad, Mushkin DX 240GB Boot Drive,
    1-Raptor 250GB, 3-Raptors 500GB
    , Samsung 27B350, Pioneer 209D, Sony 7260S, Corsair 800D, APC XS 1500 UPS, W8.1 Pro Update 1 64-bit

Z97 Extreme6 BIOS Version P1.33 @ 4.6GHZ, 4790K, 2X4GB Ripjaws Z 2400-10, Seasonic X750, Apogee XL Water Cooling, 2X140 Rad, Mushkin DX 120GB SSD Boot Drive,
    2-Raptors 250GB, WD Black 1TB, MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr II/OC, Samsung 2433 Monitor, Pioneer 207D, Corsair 650D, APC XS 1500 UPS, W8.1 Pro Update 1 64-bit

P8-Z68-V Pro BIOS Version 3402, 2600K @ 4.5 GHz, Mushkin 2X4GB Black Ridgeback 1600 C8 Memory, Seasonic X750, Corsair H60 (Noctua NF-F12 Fans Push/Pull),
    OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Boot Drive, 1-Raptor 250GB, 1-WD Black 1TB, MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr II/OC
    , Samsung 2494HM Monitor, Sony 7240S, Lian Li Case, APC XS 1500 UPS, W7 HP 64-bit

GA-EP45-UD3P(rev. 1.6) MB BIOS Ver. FFB, Q9550 E0 Stepping @ 3.2 GHz, 4X2 GB Mushkin 1066 C5 Memory, Corsair 850, Corsair H50 ,OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Boot Drive, HighPoint 640L Controller,
    2-Raptors 300GB, 1-WD Black 1TB,
    XFX 250 Monitor, Samsung P2770HD Monitor, Pioneer 207D, Sony 7240S, Corsair 600T Case, APC XS 1500 UPS, W8.1 Pro Update 1 HP 64-bit

GA-EP45-UD3P(rev. 1.6) MB BIOS Ver. FE.GA, Q8500 E0 Stepping @ 4.0 GHz, 2X2 GB Mushkin 1066 C5 memory, Corsair HX620, XFX GF 9600 GT, Corsair H50,
    GSkill 120GB Boot Drive, 1-Raptor 150GB, 3-WD Black 640GB,
    Sony 7240S, Corsair 600T Case, APC XS 1500 UPS, W7 HP 64-bit, Used for Home Server

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 OC Formula and Intel RST

Could you possibly give us less information? "IRST stopped working..." Let the questions begin:

The IRST driver, UI in Windows, or what?

What version of IRST are you using?

Are you using the Marvell SATA interface on your board?

I predict... the Windows update installed a Marvell SATA driver, which when using Windows 8.1, causes the IRST UI to fail.

Sorry about that, my first attempt with all the information did not post for some reason. The version of IRST that was working was 12.8.0.1016. I believe that is the latest posted on the ASRock site. I also tried version 12.9.0.1001, downloaded from the Intel site, and it also failed. Yes, I am using the Marvell Controller for some SATA 6 drives. The Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller version is 1.2.0.1039 dated 9/5/2013. The Marvell Virtual Device version is 1.0.5.1015 dated 3/13/2013.

I suspect you are right that a MSFT update caused IRST to fail. I have not changed anything on the system since "day 2" other than let MSFT do it's update thing. I have since turned off auto update! I have attached the infamous IRST window for your viewing pleasure. Hopefully this gives you a better idea on what went wrong?

I did try Disabling the Marvell Controllers in the BIOS and that had no effect. IRST still fails to start.

Name:  Capture_IRST.PNG
Views: 144
Size:  127.1 KB
    Last edited by Ken429; 01-03-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I'm not sure if you know, but it's the IRST Windows user interface (as seen in your error screen shot, IAStorUI) that fails, not the IRST driver itself. Otherwise your PC would not boot. You're right about the versions of the IRST driver.

Normally, disabling the Marvell controller stops the error. Did you reboot after disabling it? You must do that.

My guess was the Windows Update changed the Marvell SATA controller's driver from the Windows 8 storahci driver, to the Marvell driver you listed above. I'm also guessing you never installed the Marvell SATA driver yourself, so the storahci driver was installed by Windows automatically during installation.

You can rollback the Marvell driver to the Windows driver, using Device Manager. The Marvell controller should be listed under Storage Controllers, or ATA/IDE controllers. In the Driver tab for the Marvell controller, click on the Roll back driver button. First click on the Driver Details button to double check the Marvell driver is installed, although I'm sure it is from your information. Check that after the Roll Back to confirm the Marvell driver is gone. Reboot after that.

I've not seen this error lately, so it worries me that disabling the Marvell controller did not solve the IRST UI failure issue. It always has in the past.

parsec,
    I don't know how to Disable the Marvell Controllers in the BIOS without rebooting!

I installed all the Drivers except ME from the ASRock site for this MB when I installed W8.

I went one step further and Uninstalled the Marvell 91xx Driver Dated 10/27/2013 (probably the date I installed W8) version 1.2.0.1039. The IRST interface still fails with the infamous error window.

The IDE/ATAPI Controllers Driver is - Intel 8/1/2013 version 12.8.0.1016 - so at least that makes sense.

What next? Marvell is out of the picture. Uninstall and reinstall all the Intel stuff? Just curious, I did not install the Intel ME drivers when I installed W8. The IRST interface worked at that time so I figured it was not needed. Could that be an issue in W8.1?

Also, for some random reason I suspect that my problem started when MSFT updated .Net Runtime to the latest version. The "Windows Secrets" News Letter says to hold off on this update but I had Auto Update turned on at the time. When I uninstall IRST the Event Errors go away. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ken429; 01-04-2014 at 07:04 PM.

I thought you disabled the Marvell controller in Device Manager, not the BIOS, so my comment does not apply.

It seems that .Net Windows update does not function with IRST. That is a Microsoft issue. I'm using Windows 8, and MS has not added that update to Win 8.

If the .Net software is listed in your Programs and Features listing, you could uninstall it from there.

Otherwise, if you have a Windows Restore point from before those Windows updates, restore your PC to that point. You will probably also lose anything else you installed after those Windows updates when you apply the restore point, but you could just install those things again. Using the restore point will also bring back IRST and the Marvell driver, which is fine since that all worked for you before that Windows update, right?

It seems that .Net Windows update does not function with IRST. That is a Microsoft issue.
    Where did you find documentation for the IRST/W8.1/Net Framework 4.5 issue? My Google skills are lacking all I seem to find is that IRST needs Net Framework 4.5 to function?!

In the meantime I have uninstalled IRST, reinstalled the Marvell Driver and will live with the 2011 version of the Intel Controller Driver supplied by the W8.1 install. My ASRock System has jointed the Gigabyte Systems - no IRST. No great loss since I am do not intend to use RAID on any of the Intel SATA ports.

I found no such documentation, I was going by what you said about the .Net update from the Windows Secrets news letter, and from your own experience. Notice I said "It seems that...", which is not saying it definitely is the problem.

I don't have Net Framework 4.5 installed, and am using an IRST beta version now, 13.0.

I've used IRST for years, and while I did have the UI failure problem with IRST 11.6 and the ASMedia controller and driver, and the buggy IRST 12.6 RAID problems, I can use it fine.

You can use the IRST driver without the IRST UI, a simple manual driver installation if you wanted to.

Thread Information