Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock 990FX Extreme3 memory compatibility

Wolfpacker96 is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock 990FX Extreme3 memory compatibility

I just purchased this motherboard and GSkill F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL (2 pieces). It didn't occur to me to check the asrock website prior to purchasing the RAM for compatibility and after the fact I notice that my memory isn't listed as compatible. There is a similarly number RAM that is a smaller size shown. There not a single RAM listed that has sticks as large as 8GB. Newegg lists the mobo as having a 32GB memory max (4 slots) and Asrock's website seems to state 64GB is max. They also state they will test more modules when they become available, but obviously they aren't. It also mentions that 1600 Mhz RAM and above is dependent on your CPU and to go to AMD's website to check. I have a Phenom II X4 965 but I can't find anything on AMD's website about this. I did just check the GSkill website and they have the RAM listed as compatible with the mobo, but they have no mention of the CPU. So is my CPU and RAM pairing compatible with the motherboard.

Reason I'm asking this is because I just built this computer and I'm getting no video output (won't take the monitor out of sleep mode at startup). I know it could be the video card as well (Radeon HD 5670) but I am obviously building my computer with old parts and they were working in my old PC. Haven't gone back and put them in the old again to see if I damaged them when I pulled them out and reinstalled. I have looked around to see if anyone mentions this CPU and 1600 Mhz RAM. Some people say it matters, others don't. I saw some specs that stated 1033 Mhz was max. Thanks for any thoughts about this!

P.S. I don't have a case speaker install, so I can't hear any beeps. May look around for one...
    Last edited by Wolfpacker96; 02-14-2014 at 11:13 PM.

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Default Re: Asrock 990FX Extreme3 memory compatibility

G.Skill, via their RAM Configurator, states that F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL is compatible.

G.SKILL - RAM Configurator > 990FX Extreme3 > Compatible Memory Kits

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - HDZ965FBK4DGM / HDZ965FBGMBOX shows "Supported memory: DDR2-1066, DDR3-1333".

I'd troubleshoot by first finding another computer to place the video card into to verify it's working.

Check in the manual as ASRock sometimes denotes "suggested' slots to use when installing memory.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic X750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), On-die HD 8670D, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

I maybe should have asked this first. Is the computer booting, fans spinning, HDD's clattering on powering up?

You by chance didn't neglect the 8pin EPS power connection up near the CPU did you? It's commonly overlooked and you won't have been the first to have done that.

Wolfpacker96 is offline Junior Member

Thanks. Not sure when I can test the video card. Was going to use my old mobo in a build for my dad, but if this mobo is bad and I have to send it back that would cause me some issues.

RAM is in the suggested slots, A1 and B1. Could also put them in A2 and B2. I'll try that and see if it changes anything.

Question, if I have RAM that's 1600 Mhz would it work with my CPU, but at the lower speed?
    ASRock 990X Extreme3, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, PowerColor 512MB Radeon HD 5670, G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 2 X 8GB DDR3 1600, CoolMax ZX-500 power supply, OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB SATA III, Windows 8.1 (not installed yet)

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - HDZ965FBK4DGM / HDZ965FBGMBOX shows "Supported memory: DDR2-1066, DDR3-1333".
    If you'd like to overclock 1600 should be fine. Should, YMMV.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic X750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), On-die HD 8670D, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Why so quick to lay the blame on the MB? Issues would be if you sent back a perfectly good MB only to have the same thing all over on return/exchange due to it being something else other than the MB. Then what? Send each piece back one at a time? Issues ........

That MB's manual I have here states:
    1. Please install the memory module into the slots DDR3_A2 and
    DDR3_B2 for the first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpacker96 View Post
    Question, if I have RAM that's 1600 Mhz would it work with my CPU, but at the lower speed?
    That shouldn't be a problem. Might need a tweak or two, but that's painless enough.

EDIT: Thank you for your Sig. It's appreciated.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 02-15-2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Thank for OP's Sig

You down there in NC get slapped by the recent spate of weather?

Cars and snow/ice don't mix well down there from what I remember of my visits near there. Amen I hail from Michigan.

Thread Information