Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to set-up Ultra fast boot on Asrock B85 Pro4

suedezu is offline Junior Member

Default How to set-up Ultra fast boot on Asrock B85 Pro4

Hi,

I recently upgraded my desktop to the Asrock B85 Pro4 motherboard and the Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 CPU. You can see the rest of my system details listed on my profile.

Prior to the upgrade I had Windows 8.1 Pro x64 installed on a Samsung 830 128 GB.

To my surprise, I didn't have to reinstall Windows as it automatically detected the MB and CPU changes and performed the necessary modifications automatically.

However, when I activated Ultra fast boot in BIOS my system didn't boot and I had no image signal form my graphics card. The only way to solve this was to remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

Right now my desktop is set to Fast boot and takes around 40 second to cold boot.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How faster does the system boot using Ultra fast boot compared to Fast boot?

2. Can someone provide me with a step-by-step guide on how to enalbe Ultra fast boot?

Thanks!

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: How to set-up Ultra fast boot on Asrock B85 Pro4

Your system working fine after the change to your new system with the old Windows installation does depend on what the previous system hardware was. Yes you were lucky that it does work.

Using Ultra Fast boot with Windows 8 requires Windows 8 to be installed in a certain way, known as "UEFI Booting". There is no way to convert an existing Windows 8 installation to UEFI booting.

A guide to doing this type of installation can be found here: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

The main hardware requirement for UEFI booting, besides a mother board and UEFI/BIOS that supports it, is the video source (onboard or video card) must support a UEFI protocol called GOP. Otherwise you won't have any display to the monitor. Your MSI 660 video card has the potential to support GOP, but it most likely will need a VBios update to support GOP. You'll need to check with MSI (video card forum) to see if a VBios update is available that supports GOP.

The time a PC will boot using Ultra Fast with a UEFI booting installation will depend on the board, OS drive, and other hardware used in the PC. In general, your boot time would be reduced by about one half.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Your system working fine after the change to your new system with the old Windows installation does depend on what the previous system hardware was. Yes you were lucky that it does work.

Using Ultra Fast boot with Windows 8 requires Windows 8 to be installed in a certain way, known as "UEFI Booting". There is no way to convert an existing Windows 8 installation to UEFI booting.

A guide to doing this type of installation can be found here: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

The main hardware requirement for UEFI booting, besides a mother board and UEFI/BIOS that supports it, is the video source (onboard or video card) must support a UEFI protocol called GOP. Otherwise you won't have any display to the monitor. Your MSI 660 video card has the potential to support GOP, but it most likely will need a VBios update to support GOP. You'll need to check with MSI (video card forum) to see if a VBios update is available that supports GOP.

The time a PC will boot using Ultra Fast with a UEFI booting installation will depend on the board, OS drive, and other hardware used in the PC. In general, your boot time would be reduced by about one half.

Thank you for your reply!

I opened a request thread over at MSI forums for the latest UEFI GOP version for my video card.

I will get back as soon as I receive the necessary Vbios update.

I finally managed to update my video card using a GOP-enabled firmware and I reinstalled Windows 8 in GPT mode in order to be able to use Ultra Fast Boot.

All I have to say is that UFB works as expected: the system cold boot in 15 seconds!

Thanks for your help!

Great, glad that helped you!

Also it's good to know that MSI can provide a GOP compatible VBIOS for some of their cards, which you must ask for since manufactures don't just have them in their normal downloads page.

You can also use the Intel on-CPU graphics with Ultra Fast boot, without any kind of update for the Intel HD graphics.

You might notice a couple side affects of using Ultra Fast boot. The one I get is the fan speed readings of fans connected to any of the Chassis fans headers will not appear, or will be 0 RPM, in any program you might use to check fan speeds. The two CPU fan headers always show the fan's speeds, but the chassis fans don't. If you restart the PC, the chassis fan speeds will then display fine. Your board might be different, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Great, glad that helped you!

Also it's good to know that MSI can provide a GOP compatible VBIOS for some of their cards, which you must ask for since manufactures don't just have them in their normal downloads page.

You can also use the Intel on-CPU graphics with Ultra Fast boot, without any kind of update for the Intel HD graphics.

You might notice a couple side affects of using Ultra Fast boot. The one I get is the fan speed readings of fans connected to any of the Chassis fans headers will not appear, or will be 0 RPM, in any program you might use to check fan speeds. The two CPU fan headers always show the fan's speeds, but the chassis fans don't. If you restart the PC, the chassis fan speeds will then display fine. Your board might be different, just FYI.
    I use a Xeon CPU and thus don't have integrated Intel HD graphics.

Thanks for letting me know about the fans speed readings issue. I will check my BIOS to see if I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by suedezu View Post
    I use a Xeon CPU and thus don't have integrated Intel HD graphics.

Thanks for letting me know about the fans speed readings issue. I will check my BIOS to see if I have it.
    Duh! You clearly listed a Xeon! Anyway, if you did have Intel Graphics, they would work.

Actually, getting into the UEFI/BIOS is another side affect of Ultra Fast boot, you can't with the Del or F2 key when you boot. That's why ASRock has the Restart to UEFI program in Windows. It works for me and is nice to have.

I was referring to Windows programs that display fan speeds, some fans are missing when you cold boot using Ultra Fast. I assume the board's sensor chip does not have time to initialize.

Thread Information