Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AD2550-ITX AHCI mode problems

farru1981 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy AD2550-ITX AHCI mode problems

Hello, a few days ago I have bought an AD2550-ITX motherboard with 1.30 BIOS (the latest one).

My problem is that when I enable the SATA-II ports in AHCI mode my hard disk drive Maxtor 6B200M0 is not detected by the BIOS, but my other drive Seagate ST3500320AS is always detected. It also happens if I only connect the Maxtor drive, in AHCI mode isn't detected but in IDE mode it does.

If I set the SATA-II ports to IDE mode then both hard disks are always detected.

So I can't use AHCI mode. What can I do? Is there any new BIOS (even BETA) I can use.

I have readen that AHCI mode is faster and better than IDE mode. Is it true?

Regards,
    --
    farru1981

P.D. Sorry about my english, I am learning.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: AD2550-ITX AHCI mode problems

Quote Originally Posted by farru1981 View Post
    Hello, a few days ago I have bought an AD2550-ITX motherboard with 1.30 BIOS (the latest one).

My problem is that when I enable the SATA-II ports in AHCI mode my hard disk drive Maxtor 6B200M0 is not detected by the BIOS, but my other drive Seagate ST3500320AS is always detected. It also happens if I only connect the Maxtor drive, in AHCI mode isn't detected but in IDE mode it does.

If I set the SATA-II ports to IDE mode then both hard disks are always detected.

So I can't use AHCI mode. What can I do? Is there any new BIOS (even BETA) I can use.

I have readen that AHCI mode is faster and better than IDE mode. Is it true?

Regards,
    --
    farru1981

P.D. Sorry about my english, I am learning.
    I doubt that the problem is the BIOS. It would help to know what version of Windows or OS you are using, and what SATA driver you have installed.

The specs I found for the Maxtor 6B200M0 said it supports NCQ, which is a feature of AHCI. AHCI is faster than IDE, and better. But that is an old drive, with a SATA I interface.

The problem may be the jumpers on the drive are not set correctly. Here is a link to some information that may help you set the jumpers correctly, see #5 in the list:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/168595en

Unhappy Re: AD2550-ITX AHCI mode problems

No OS installed by now. If a drive is not detected by BIOS, the OS is not a problem.

Also using this drive on another motherboards is fully detected and available in AHCI mode so I think the drive isn't the problem.

I have checked the link and my drive and jumper settings shouldn't be a problem because this is a 1.5GB/s drive (SATA-I) as you can see at this link http://support.seagate.com/kbimg/48-9.jpg my drive shouldn't have any jumper connected because it is a 6B model.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you for your help.
    --
    farru1981

ASRockRack TSD - Bill is online now ASRockRack Tech Support Staff

You have 5x Intel ICH10R SATA II ports (blue) and 2x Marvell 9172 SATA III ports (white) on the board. Did you try all the SATA II ports on the board with this Maxtor drive? Did you also try to connect it to the Marvell port (SATA III)?
    Name:  ad2550_marvell.PNG
Views: 80
Size:  27.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
    You have 5x Intel ICH10R SATA II ports (blue) and 2x Marvell 9172 SATA III ports (white) on the board. Did you try all the SATA II ports on the board with this Maxtor drive? Did you also try to connect it to the Marvell port (SATA III)?
    Name:  ad2550_marvell.PNG
Views: 80
Size:  27.8 KB
    Sorry, but are you sure you are talking about the mobo I do? this is mine ASRock > AD2550-ITX
    As you can see is an Intel NM10 based motherboard, only 2 SATA-II ports and UEFI BIOS.

Regards,

Thread Information