Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock Z87 Extreme 4, I can't get my DVD drive working

JBDragon is offline Junior Member

Default AsRock Z87 Extreme 4, I can't get my DVD drive working

My computer can't seem to see my DVD, HD DVD, Blu-Ray drive When I have it plugged into one of the 2 SATA3_A0_A1 ports which I'm told are slower then the other 6 Faster SATA ports. It works fine in one of these other ports, but I need the space for another HDD. Is there some setting I need to do. Am I just doing something wrong?

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: AsRock Z87 Extreme 4, I can't get my DVD drive working

Quote Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post
    My computer can't seem to see my DVD, HD DVD, Blu-Ray drive When I have it plugged into one of the 2 SATA3_A0_A1 ports which I'm told are slower then the other 6 Faster SATA ports. It works fine in one of these other ports, but I need the space for another HDD. Is there some setting I need to do. Am I just doing something wrong?
    You're saying any optical drive does not work right in the ASMedia SATA3_A0_A1 ports, but does work fine in the other Intel SATA ports, correct?

If so, that is normal, sorry to say. The ASMedia SATA chipset and driver does not support ATAPI devices, and all optical drives are ATAPI devices. They are connected as standard SATA drives are, but the actual interface is different. I can't find the official fine print about this now, but this is true, sorry to say.

Are you using the ASMedia SATA driver on the ASMedia chipset? If so, you could try changing to the standard Windows AHCI driver, but I cannot guarantee that will make any difference.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck using the Intel SATA ports for your optical drives.

What kind of drives are you using in that PC? All or mainly HDDs?

Thread Information