Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z97E-ITX/ac Virtualization Support

woody carson is offline Junior Member

Default Z97E-ITX/ac Virtualization Support

I need to know if this motherboard supports VT-d.

Default Re: Z97E-ITX/ac Virtualization Support

I bought the board and have been playing around with it. I'm not any kind of guru with this type of stuff, so I don't know if some features are not working right, but VT-d is working for what I need. I was able to passthrough a 5850 to a windows 8.1 VM. My system doesn't hang on boot throwing APCI table errors like my Asus board did when intel_iommu is turned on, and my computer is not telling me that my bios is broken, so I'll take that as a sign that everything is good.

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

#1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic X750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), On-die HD 8670D, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Steephh is offline Junior Member

I have recently bought the following hardware:

Intel Core i7 4790K
    2x 8GB Crucial Ballistic Sports 1600MHz RAM
    Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac
    Sapphire AMD R9 290
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2x 4TB Western Digital Green
    Corsair CS450M

After I have enabled VT-d in the bios (and upgraded to bios version 1.3), I installed Archlinux with the 3.15.7-1-ARCH kernel and Xen 4.4.0 from AUR. In Xen.cfg I added the intel_iommu=on parameter. Using the following command to check if I have VT-d support: dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU it outputs:

# dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU[ 0.000000] Intel-IOMMU: enabled
    Several websites state that the output should be something like this:

DMAR:DRHD base: 0x000000feb03000 flags: 0x0
    IOMMU feb03000: ver 1:0 cap c9008020e30260 ecap 1000
    The only thing I can find furthermore is with xl dmesg:

(XEN) Intel VT-d iommu 0 supported page sizes: 4kB.
    (XEN) Intel VT-d iommu 1 supported page sizes: 4kB, 2MB, 1GB.
    (XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control not enabled.
    (XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
    (XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation enabled.
    (XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping enabled.
    (XEN) Intel VT-d Shared EPT tables not enabled.
    (XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
    Commands as xl pci-assignable-list don't show anything. Do you, woody, or anyone else have experience with this motherboard and getting Xen with PCI/VGA passthrough to work? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Steephh; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steephh View Post
    I have recently bought the following hardware:

Intel Core i7 4790K

I'm using Manjaro with the mainline kernel and KVM. I added "intel_iommu=on pci-stub.ids=1002:67b1,1002:aac8" to my grub file. Check your own stub ids. I needed to then add the pci-stub module to mkinitcpio and run some command I can't remember. I also needed to create a file in the modprobe.d folder containing options "kvm allow_unsafe_assigned_interrupts=1". Everything else I've done in virt-manager including binding the r9 290 I'm using for the vm. Catalyst had some problems recognizing the gpu, so I had to start the vm first and then add the card after dettaching it using "virsh nodedev-dettach pci_0000_01_00_0". Do it again for the audio which in my case would mean chaging the last "0" to "1". Check your own ids to make sure.

That's the extent of what I have had to do. I did my best to avoid config files and commands. I very loosely followed the two guides below.
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768
    Configure KVM and libvirt on Arch Linux with PCI passthrough | ktz.me

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Much of what you said just went over my head. I'm still very new to all of this.

Thread Information