Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SelfGovern

Thread: Z97 Extreme6--PLED & PLED1 Difference?

kephafan is offline Junior Member

Default Z97 Extreme6--PLED & PLED1 Difference?

What is the difference on the Extreme6 mobo with the PLED and PLED1 connectors as far as my Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case having two separate (PLED+ and PLED-) plugs?
    I had plugged the two case wires into the #2 (+) and #4 (-) positions on the System Panel Header. Is this correct?
    If so, what function is the PLED1 Power LED Header?
    Thank you
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666-- EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-bit SC ACX 2.0--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--Windows 7 (64-bit)--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: Z97 Extreme6--PLED & PLED1 Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kephafan View Post
    What is the difference on the Extreme6 mobo with the PLED and PLED1 connectors as far as my Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case having two separate (PLED+ and PLED-) plugs?
    I had plugged the two case wires into the #2 (+) and #4 (-) positions on the System Panel Header. Is this correct?
    If so, what function is the PLED1 Power LED Header?
    Thank you
    That sounds correct, given that pin #1 is in the lower left corner, and pin #2 is above it, rather than to the right of pin #1. You must be matching the System Panel Header diagram in the manual:

Name:  z97 ex6 sys header.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  59.2 KB

The other three pin power LED header, PLED1, is functionally equivalent to the power LED connections on the System Panel Header. Apparently some PC cases use a single three pin power LED connector, rather than the individual + and - connection for the power LED that your case has. The PLED1 header is simply a convenience for different power LED connectors that a PC case might have.

Personally, all the PC cases I've used have the individual + and - connectors like yours. In other areas of the world, the single three pin power LED connector may be the standard, or that connection might be a legacy type, used on older PC cases.

Parsec, thank you again!
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666-- EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-bit SC ACX 2.0--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--Windows 7 (64-bit)--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

I do have another question: Next to the HD_AUDIO1 is a COM1 header. What is that for?
    Thanks again

SelfGovern is online now Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kephafan View Post
    I do have another question: Next to the HD_AUDIO1 is a COM1 header. What is that for?
    Thanks again
    "Com1" is also known as a serial port. Serial ports are not often used anymore, but when they were, you'd see it
    as a way to connect an external modem to a PC, and sometimes printers. They are still used in the server and
    storage world for providing out-of-band communication with devices like storage arrays, tape libraries, and switches
    (and probably some legacy industrial control applications as well).

General Wisdom: If you don't know what it is, you don't need it, and can forget it's there.

Historical note: Although people talked about having a "standard serial port", the standard was one of the loosest
    I can recall, with pinouts being very different from one vendor to the next.

--
    Liberty breeds responsibility
    kephafan likes this.

- wardog - is offline Spam Killer

Hello and Welcome SelfGovern

Quote Originally Posted by SelfGovern View Post
    General Wisdom: If you don't know what it is, you don't need it, and can forget it's there.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfGovern View Post
    Historical note: Although people talked about having a "standard serial port", the standard was one of the loosest
    I can recall, with pinouts being very different from one vendor to the next.
    Odd, I don't recall the pinouts from vendor to vendor being different. I lived through the "modem wars' and I recall alot of commands being butchered between differing manufacturers. But not DB9 COM/Serial pinouts.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the PSU Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be the PSU causing issues. I do(Lifetime PRO ver.) and will mention so if it is marginal for your build.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6, i7-3770K, 16GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum, On-die HD 4000, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl w/Window
    Server 1: ASRock 990FX Extreme9, FX-8150, 32GB AE316G1601U2K, Seasonic X-750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), PowerColor AX5450 1GBK3-SH, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design XL R2
    Server 2: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+, A10-6800K, 16GB F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, Seasonic X750 Gold, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT Mode), On-die HD 8670D, Corsair H80i, Antec Spot Cool, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

SelfGovern, thank you for the explanation!

Thread Information