Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PATA or SATA whats the difference?

chrissyy2009 is offline Junior Member

Default PATA or SATA whats the difference?

I have a P5GDC motherboard. I need a hard drive for it. I have seen some SATA ones and some PATA ones cheap. Would they work?

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: PATA or SATA whats the difference?

SATA drives use the modern SATA interface between the drive and mother board, using the narrow SATA data cables. PATA drives are older technology that uses the wide ribbon cables with a different connector. The two interfaces are not compatible without an adapter that connects to the drive.

SATA drives are much faster than PATA drives, and PATA drives are just about obsolete. Very few current mother boards have PATA connectors. There are three different P5GDC boards, but all of them have one PATA port connector.

I would not buy a PATA drive unless I had to use a board that cold only use PATA drives. PATA drives are a step backwards in disk I/O technology, and I see no point in buying one if you have a choice.

chrissyy2009 is offline Junior Member

Ah, right. Thanks for that.It is an old board though but has connectors for both types but I will take your advice and only install sata. Which brings me to the next thing. There is sata 1, 2 and 3. I take it sata 3 would be the fastest. I have always just went by rpm. Will this mothervoard handle all 3 types of sata or do I need to only go for sata 1? So when formatting is IDE for the old pata drives?

parsec is online now Senior Member

That board only has a SATA II interface, from the board's specs:

4 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,

I doubt you could find a SATA I HDD, and really no point in buying one since you could use a SATA II or III HDD on another PC later on. SATA III is the fastest, but only for SSDs, no so called SATA III HDDs can surpass SATA II speeds. The SATA III HDDs will be a bit faster then SATA II HDDs, even on a SATA II port.

IDE or AHCI is not a formatting type, but the SATA chip's interface driver. You'd need to check if that board's BIOS has an AHCI setting, otherwise you could use RAID with single drives to get the extra speed of AHCI.

Thread Information