Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

  1. #1
    paulcan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8

    Unhappy PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    .... even during a simulation. Have tried different burning software. (Nero 6, Nero 9 and Ultra ISO)

    Replaced 450Watt PSU with 500W- same problem
    Replaced DVD Drive - same problem.

    Updated BIOS to latest
    Updated DVD Drive Firmware to latest

    Have had the CPU, Motherboard and Memory all replaced by the supplier (Ebuyer - they are great) - same Problem

    Changed Hard Disk (I was getting desperate) - same problem.

    MB: Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200
    MEM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (4GB)
    DVD: LiteOn LH-20A1P

    Crucial website mentions no problems with these 2.0V memory modules running on a board that is expecting 1.8v Memory.

    Any help would be very much appreciated

    Paul

  2. #2
    VorLonUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    It would be good to see if your memory is "falling over" during an intensive task.

    If you have another PC, burn the memtest iso to Cdr Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and run.

    If you have Vista, you can use the Vista built in memory diagnostics found in the Administrative menu.

    It is possible you will fine 4GB of memory in your board failing at the motherboard default setup and it's possible too, that just one installed stick of ram would prove that point (and work).
    So ideally you need to check your ram with one of the methods I've listed above.
    Then if it is showing errors, you may need to manually increase the DDR2 voltage and if you have it, disable the bios setting "Performance Enhance" in the MIT section.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-22-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

  3. #3
    wazza300's Avatar
    wazza300 is online now Sloth Fratelli-Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,195

    Smile Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by paulcan View Post
    .... even during a simulation. Have tried different burning software. (Nero 6, Nero 9 and Ultra ISO)

    Replaced 450Watt PSU with 500W- same problem
    Replaced DVD Drive - same problem.

    Updated BIOS to latest
    Updated DVD Drive Firmware to latest

    Have had the CPU, Motherboard and Memory all replaced by the supplier (Ebuyer - they are great) - same Problem

    Changed Hard Disk (I was getting desperate) - same problem.

    MB: Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200
    MEM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (4GB)
    DVD: LiteOn LH-20A1P

    Crucial website mentions no problems with these 2.0V memory modules running on a board that is expecting 1.8v Memory.

    Any help would be very much appreciated

    Paul
    do you have a spare cd/dvd burner to try??? could be faulty drive check your sata/ide cable is firmly plugged in also best to fully uninstall nero and do fresh install,ahhh just read uve tried new drive i use a lite on too there good drives and i used to have trouble with nero from time to time so id try re-installing it
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    paulcan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Thanks for your speedy reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    It would be good to see if your memory is "falling over" during an intensive task.

    If you have another PC, burn the memtest iso to Cdr Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and run.
    OK, I've got that running now.... have also used prime95 for 7 hours yesterday while I was out which did not show up any errors.

    Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    If you have Vista, you can use the Vista built in memory diagnostics found in the Administrative menu.
    Win XP SP3

    Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    ]It is possible you will fine 4GB of memory in your board failing at the motherboard default setup and it's possible too, that just one installed stick of ram would prove that point (and work).
    Will try that after the memtest, although I did try that with the previous two memory sticks.

    Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    So ideally you need to check your ram with one of the methods I've listed above.
    Then if it is showing errors, you may need to manually increase the DDR2 voltage and if you have it, disable the bios setting "Performance Enhance" in the MIT section.
    I Can't find a way of increasing the DDR2 Voltage in the BIOS, and my MIT section doesn't have a "Performance Enhance" option.

    The memtest (and BIOS) shows the DDR2 as being 5-5-5-18, but the memory spec (on the website) says it should be 4-4-4-12 ? IS that relevant ? If so, do I just change those figures in the BOIS, or is there something else I should do to accomodate the change?
    Last edited by paulcan; 09-22-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: QUOTE tags incorrect

  5. #5
    NimrodAUS's Avatar
    NimrodAUS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Sounds like a ram issue. You definatly want to set your ram settings manually. Even try jerking one ram stick out and just run with one and see what happens. But U should still set the correct timmings and voltages. Do you have a spare video card also? Maybe try it to at a seperate time. but do the ram first.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    paulcan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    do you have a spare cd/dvd burner to try??? could be faulty drive check your sata/ide cable is firmly plugged in also best to fully uninstall nero and do fresh install,ahhh just read uve tried new drive i use a lite on too there good drives and i used to have trouble with nero from time to time so id try re-installing it
    I reinstalled everything. XP SP2 (same problem) and then XP SP3 (same problem)

    Apart from this one issue, the machine runs perfectly ok.

  7. #7
    Chike is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Since you changed almost everything except CPU and you claim ram is OK.
    What kind of hard drive and burner do you have, IDE/SATA?
    Are there any conflicts in windows device manager?
    Just trying to think of new things to look at.

  8. #8
    VorLonUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    That's a good point, what type of interface had the drive got ide/sata etc and depending on your mptherboard (and I'm not familiar specifically with yours) what sata interface (if your drive is sata) are you using?

    It would be handy to save me time ;) if you can post a link to the GB page of your motherboard (uk site is fine, because thats where I am and I see your in the UK too) and also state what board revision you have.

    As far as the ram goes, the higher the timing values the more relaxed the ram is running, so In most cases running DDR2 say at 5-5-5-18 is better for fault finding than running at the tighter and better performance giving 4-4-4-12.

    But before altering voltage, it is wise to fully memtest the RAM, but there can be instances where although the RAM will work with memtest, in another enviroment where say the PSU is loaded up, the RAM's supply may suffer and if on the threshold of working correctly, may just "dip" below that threshold and "fall over".
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

  9. #9
    paulcan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Memtest showed up no errors. Have tried each memory module in each of the slots both individually and together.

    GA-M61PME-S2P Rev 1.0
    MB Page: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-M61PME-S2P (rev. 1.0)

    CD/DVD is an IDE

    HD: Seagate ST380815AS Barracuda 7200 8MB SATA II

    I have since found out that there is apparently no way to change the voltage on this Motherboard:

    Gigabyte M61PME-S2 Motherboard | Hardware Secrets

    I downloaded the Gigabyte Easy Tune utility and the "Tune" part is greyed out.

    Am thinking of just getting 2GB of 1.8v to see if that helps.

  10. #10
    VorLonUK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

    Before thinking about changing the ram or altering it's settings (if you can), how many passes with all 4GB of ram installed did you make with memtest? I assume you did use version 2.11?

    Have you anything else on the IDE interface? If it's the only drive are you using a flat or round data cable, or the one supplied by GB. Is it the 80 conductor 40 pin type? Is the drive say set to it's default jumper setting, ie often shipped as master?

    In windows are there any conflicts in device manager?

    What mode is the drive in (in device manager ie ultra dma 2/4 etc) also is DMA checked? (I can't remember the exact wording as i haven't used xp for a little while)
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-22-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •