Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accessing RAID locks windows 7

badpop is offline Member

Default Re: Accessing RAID locks windows 7

So basically the drivers I have installed are for the purple ports (that I shouldn't be using). So if I update the intel drivers that might solve the problem aswell.

I'll check it out when I get home and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Psycho101 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by badpop View Post
    So basically the drivers I have installed are for the purple ports (that I shouldn't be using). So if I update the intel drivers that might solve the problem aswell.

I'll check it out when I get home and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the help so far!
    Possibly, yes.

To update your RAID drivers for the yellow Intel ICH SATA ports, installing Matrix Storage Manager will take care of it. When you have matrix storage manager installed (the latest version) enable the Write back caches by right clicking both the Volume, RAID Array and individual drive entries in the Management Console.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

badpop is offline Member

I'm home and check the computer.

The raid is in the PURPLE ports.

And is set up just like in the picture Lsd posted to me a year ago :)

EDIT: I updated to the latest GRAID drivers now and it haven't been acting up yet.
    Last edited by badpop; 12-02-2009 at 11:51 PM.

badpop is offline Member

Hmm got 1 hickup a few mins ago, so the new drivers didn't help.

This exact setup was running perfectly in windows xp/vista and just started with this when I installed windows 7

Psycho101 is offline Senior Member

Aha. I strongly advise you backup your data and re-do the array on the Intel ports. You'll be thankful you did, despite the extra work, Intel ICH RAID is so much better than the JMicron 1x PCIE "effort".

Best way to go about this is to create an image using Acronis True Image. DL the trial, create a bootable CD and backup in it's special Windows-Like environment. As well as making an image, also backup manually if you can in case you get the image wrong. It's easy but everyone makes mistakes etc when doing new things. Just ask my first Girlfriend... (it was dark, I didn't mean to...)

When you're fully backed up, make sure your OS drive is on SATA_0 on the Intel Yellow ports. I'd leave a 1 port gap and place your RAID disks on SATA_2 and SATA_3. This is both to stop any "cross talk" or interferance (has been known to happen but rare) and also allows you to set up another RAID for your OS using an identical disk later on, without having to swap your existing array ports around and breaking them. As you may know moving ports requires a complete RAID rebuild/re-image etc.

Your CD/DVD/DVD-RW(s) can go on either the very last Intel (SATA_5) or on the JMicron. I have had problems with having my DVD drive on the JMicron though. For instance flashing my SSD was impossible unless the DVD was also on the yellow ports. Also Vista 64 refused to install unless my DVD was on the Intel ICH too.

After this is done, simply go into the BIOS and set the top two options in that picture you posted to "RAID" and "Native mode Enabled". If not using the JMicron purple ports any more, or the IDE port then "Onboard SATA/IDE Device" can be disabled to slightly quicken Windows load and save a tiny bit of RAM from not having the driver loaded and an IRQ used etc.

You'll then need to enter the Intel RAID BIOS. Set up your array with the RAID mode of your choice. If using a RAID1 then there's no stripe size. If setting RAID 0 or any other raid that stripes like RAID10 then choose the biggest (128K) stripe size possible. Your RAID disks will then be initialised which wipes the data. Your single OS drive will also be wiped as it's merged into the RAID config. However it won't actually be part of any RAID volume and will run as a "Non RAID Member" or "JBOD", which is for all intents and purposes AHCI, which means NCQ and hot swap should be available should you need them.

I'm almost certain this will stop your RAID problems. The JMicron is fantastic for emergancies or if (like me) you're into DVD burning a lot, but for RAID it's best avoided.

Remember, backup with both an image and use normal means just in case. When installing your OS again (setting RAID will wipe all drives on the controller) Win 7 should have the driver already loaded. In case it doesn't follow the link I posted in a previous post and create a driver floppy using either the 32bit or 64bit version of the floppy making Intel program.

Let us know how you get on. I know this post seems long, but the process is really easy. This guide is quite useful should you be not so confident setting up the Intel RAID BIOS. Note that it is for the ICH9R but holds true with just slight option variation on ICH7R, 8R, 9R and 10R.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

badpop is offline Member

Thanks a lot for the help I'll get working on the backup and switching the ports as soon as I get home. I guess this is a good time to actually clean that disk of all crap and backup everything on my new Buffalo NAS.

So my non-raid OS drive also be wiped clean?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, sorry about that! I should have advised you to use the Intel ports when you set this up, must have totally missed it.

You would need to do a clean install to switch to the Intel controller

badpop is offline Member

No problem Lsd, like I said - it never was a problem before windows 7 so it have worked just fine fore 1,5years.

I'll get back to you once this is done.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

badpop is offline Member

Yeah I'll do a clean install.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information