Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-990FXA-UD5 using 4 DIMMs

agenthex is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 using 4 DIMMs

How new? I'm using F7C.

Chike is offline Senior Member

F7g it's in the beta BIOS sticky.

I couldn't find it. Link to page?

GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS
    It's just a link to GB site it is also there on the board page.
    I have looked at the QVL and max DDR it lists is 2000 and 8GB max.

Thanks for the link. Updated to latest BIOS, still does not address problem.

Here's what happens:

8GB RAM @ 1866, Profile1 = stable
    8GB RAM @ 2133, Profile1 = stable
    16GB RAM @ 1866, Profile1 = boots Linux, Windows, is not stable under load.
    16GB RAM @ 2133, Profile1 = weird, and here's what I mean by that:

Sometimes, the board will not POST. Sometimes, board will POST but will not get past BIOS loading. Sometimes, board will get past BIOS but hang on SATA controller BIOS. Sometimes board will get past SATA controller but will hang on RAID controller (onboard). Sometimes, board will boot past RAID controller, but if it does do this, it will say something like Updating backup BIOS... (and the dots continue for a few lines).

The motherboard works flawlessly with two modules. It fails miserably with four. Is it possible this is NOT a BIOS issue?

Have you test 8GB in slots 2 & 4?
    Did you use the same profile for both frequencies and just changed memory multiplier or did you change CAS too?
    Have you tried increasing CPU NB VID Control? Older CPUs may not even handle 8GB memory even at 1333 without increasing it.

Only changed the mem divider. I think I got the same results from 2/4, but it might have been that it didn't like 2/4 at all. I'll check this again.

I have AMD FX-8120. Is NB VID the one that regulates voltage to the actual mobo NB, and not the on-chip NB?

CPU NB VID Control is the voltage of the NB of the CPU itself.
    NB Voltage Control is the chipset voltage.

If CAS was not changed automatically when you changed memory multiplier to 1866 you should do it manually to 8.

absic is online now Junior Member

Hi there,

The latest information I have from AMD about this is that you CAN'T run RAM faster than 1600MHz with all four banks filled due to Memory controller limitations with the FX processors and if you want to use all 16GB then you are stuck at 1600MHz.

You may wish to confirm this with AMD in the USA but that is what I have been told by them in the UK.

There is a link here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.p....html#msg58846 for a similar thread on the Gigabyte UK Forum where one user from the USA also states that he has been told the above information by AMD.
    Last edited by absic; 11-27-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo and added link
    Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro - PSU: Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt Modular
    CPU: Intel 2500k - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 4x4GB Modules (16GB Total) running at 1600MHz
    GPU: Asus NVidia 650 - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM - Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 1010
    SSD's: Corsair Force 3 GS 250GB SSD, OCZ 120 GB Solid 3, ADATA S511, 1 x Vertex2 90Gb
    ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB - Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro - OS: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

absic is online now Junior Member

In an effort to clarify the situation further I have been in contact with AMD UK again today who have provided the following information:

Hello absic,

You were right, the processor is certified for 1866 on two DIMMs only. On the others it is still possible to run, but not certified.

With manual settings for 1866 (you would be overclocking but as the memory is rated for that speed there is no risk), since the motherboard is tested to work at that speed, you should be able to run all 16GB of RAM at the desired speed.

Some motherboard tests from the QVL highlight how some RAM modules only ran with two DIMMs while others ran with four.
    So from this information it seems as if you can run with higher speed RAM with all four slots populated but, that it is very much dependant on the RAM modules that you buy. Also, doing so is regarded as overclocking by AMD and is not certified (guaranteed) to work. However, if you do get your RAM running at these higher speeds there should not be any issues with the Memory Controller on the CPU

If you are running an AMD FX (Bulldozer) Processor and you want to run RAM at speeds higher than 1600MHz with all four RAM slots populated then the best advice is to check the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) for your particular motherboard and/or with the RAM Manufacturer before buying any modules to ensure that they will work with your system properly.
    Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro - PSU: Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt Modular
    CPU: Intel 2500k - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 4x4GB Modules (16GB Total) running at 1600MHz
    GPU: Asus NVidia 650 - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM - Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 1010
    SSD's: Corsair Force 3 GS 250GB SSD, OCZ 120 GB Solid 3, ADATA S511, 1 x Vertex2 90Gb
    ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB - Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro - OS: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information