Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte-X79-UP4 help with RAID please !!!!!!

dubber is offline Junior Member

Default Gigabyte-X79-UP4 help with RAID please !!!!!!

Greetings ALL,

I'm coming over from an x58 mobo which I knew in and out to this new 2011 socket beast. Visually it's decent, seems powerful, just ONE problem: I'm trying to do a RAID 0 array (using the Intel chipset) with my (2) Corsair Force GT 240 SSD drives. I'm able to set up the array in the BIOS no problem, I've also hit CTL-I and set it up there, Windows 7 install is looking for a driver prior to completing the installation. The driver Windows is looking for is NOT on the Gigabyte mobo install CD. I've tried ALL of these drivers as well but to NO avail. What am I doing wrong? WHERE can I find the driver I need to finish my install? I'm not exactly a newb, BUT I would love feedback and HELP getting my new rig going !! Please help !!

I've tried all these drivers, plus all the drivers from Gigabyte's website, from what I understand I need an RSTe driver?:

Name:  tried drivers.PNG
Views: 2441
Size:  124.6 KB

Conners is offline Banned

Default Re: Gigabyte-X79-UP4 help with RAID please !!!!!!

Might have a look at this page to see if it helps you...Support for the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Also have you install the Intel MEI drivers? May or may not be needed... As far as a driver during Install not sure on that....

Appreciate the reply Conners, I just went back and looked at the mobo manual again and followed it to a 'T', it's absurd the Intel drivers will not load, I swapped SATA ports on the mobo to the Marvell 6 GB/s and the Marvell drivers have pre-loaded, right now I'm waiting for a reboot to see if it blue screens

One thing you might try if you haven't already is to reset the CMOS... I haven't done raid in a while but with XP (I am using Win 7 now) I never had to load ne raid drivers during OS install. One other thing to try if you can get into Windows (which I doubt) is build the raid array in IRST program... Just thoughts.

Ugh, I give up, this mobo will not load a simple RAID driver, I'm calling Gigabyte in the morning to see if they have a solution, if not I'm RMAing

boondocks is offline Senior Member

I don't have any experience with the X79 boards, but I've had no problems setting up RAID on a UD5H or a UP4 TH.

What you might do is install Windows on one drive, then go back to bios, set up RAID, then reboot and set up your RAID discs and see if that works. Maybe that will solve the missing driver problem, IDK.
    Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F9 mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4/16X 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor AX7950 2DHV4 x2 w/EK blocks Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx1 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 4x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me
    backup rig: Z87-UD5H/4770K delidded /4.8@1.32/
    G Skill F3-2400C10D-8GZH/AX7950 2DH4/Custom water/NZXT Switch 810 http://valid.canardpc.com/1kcksx
    Wifes: Z77-UD5H / 3770K / Kingston HyperX RAM
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

Thanks boondocks for the reply. My buddy has the UP4 TH and I helped him set the RAID up on that with a pair of Samsung 830's. it was so seamless that's what convinced me to buy a Gigabyte mobo to begin with. This 2011 socket is nice the CPU is HUGE, but everything I've read (after my purchase of course) is that the x79 chipset is a bit wonky. I tried doing as you said and installing windows on 1 drive, which works fine by the way, and using the IRST software once I reach windows but it ultimately hoses my Windows install and puts the machine in a loop, with blue screen, the Windows screen asking to reboot normally or the F8 option. Gigabyte support opens on the West Coast at 830 PST which of course is 1130 EST our time. So I gotta wait a few more hours for a resolution.

Vinster is offline Senior Member

What I have done in the past;

- enable the RAID controller and install windows on just 1 disk.
    - - this gets windows going with the RAID drivers installed
    - Then perform a complete Windows backup using the windows backup utility to an external drive or a separate storage drive on your PC.
    - Then re-boot and configure your RAID with both your SSD's
    - At this step disconnect any extra drives in your system except for your SSD's, Storage disk with the backup and your DVD drive...
    - Then use your Windows installation DVD like you would a fresh install, but before you click install click on "Repair your computer" on the bottom left.
    - Then find your backup and chose to restore the installation on your new RAID.

I've done this mostly when upgrading people from a single SSD to dual for more space and speed. this has also worked for when upgrading from an OS on a Platter drive.

Vin

EDIT: actually on the last system I did this on was a Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 with an AMD Raid controller, when I loaded the RAID drivers I had an error that the driver could not be loaded. all I did was click back and then next from the window I was in and the driver did end up loading... that was a first for me... majority of the time the controller I was using already had the driver in the Win7 repository.
    Last edited by Vinster; 11-27-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    Main Rig
    OS = Win7 64 Bit
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.8Ghz 166x23 cooled ba a Corsair H100
    Mem = 6GB 2000Mhz Kingston HyperX running at 2044Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-1T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3
    GPU = 2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB in SLI
    HD = 3x Intel 40GB X25-V in Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 500 GB WD
    PSU = Corwair TX950W
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Benching MB's... Asus P5Q and Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7... too many CPU's and RAM sticks to list. :)

Thanks Vinster for the reply.

Well, actually there IS a happy ending in this. I had a setting in the BIOS set wrong. I had my RAID array set up to do RSTe, and I needed to change it to iRST. I had sworn I read that I needed RSTe for the x79 chipset, looks like I misunderstood.

I also called Gigabyte, I'm going to give them props here because I've heard a lot of bad, but the gentleman I spoke to was very helpful, I had all my ducks in a row and asked all the pertinent questions, he told me to remove 2 of my RAM sticks and to plug my optical drive into a GSATA3 port instead of where I had it plugged in, and to make sure I wasn't undervolting my RAM, it IS 1.5V RAM and that was where it was set in the BIOS so no issue there.

Once I reset the BIOS RAID array to iRST and plugged the DVD-RW optical drive into GSATA3 on the mobo, Windows cruised on through without a hitch ! Like I said I was coming from an x58 chipset, and this 2011 socket and new BIOS was all new to me, BUT I DID LEARN SOMETHING, lol !! I hope what I experienced here will help someone else out that buys this mobo and chipset !!

Props to all you cats here on Tweaktown as well for offering help and support, many thanks !!!

Well there you go and glad you got it lined out. Having come from a P45 to a Z77 board I missed all of the in between lol. A bois setting I never heard of lol good find!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information