Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CR2032 Battery Holder

tplat is offline Junior Member

Default CR2032 Battery Holder

I have a custom built PC with a Gigabyte motherboard that I built about 6 years ago maybe a little longer and a plastic piece on the CR2032 battery holder broke and it no longer held the battery in firmly enough to make a good contact with the + & - sides of the battery so I super glued it on to see if it would work and it did but figured it was a temporary fix and it was. Worked fine for a couple of months and knowing it was only a temporary fix I decided it was time to build a new PC. I bought a CR2032 enclosed battery holder on Ebay that has a + & - wires coming out of it and I am going to solder those to motherboards CR2032 battery contacts and see if that will work as a more permanent fix. Any opinions on this idea if it will work? Right now if I try to turn it on it powers up briefly then powers right off then repeats that.

parsec is online now Senior Member

Default Re: CR2032 Battery Holder

That should work, if I understand what you mean by, "... + & - wires coming out of it and I am going to solder those to motherboards CR2032 battery contacts".

If you mean the contacts on the board's broken battery holder, then I think it will work.

If you mean you would try to remove the broken battery holder first, and connect the wires on the new battery holder to the board itself, that would be much more difficult, and might not work.

Mother boards usually have multiple layers of electrical connections, which might only be ground paths, and if the battery holder is connected to one of the internal layers and not the one on the bottom of the board, getting the wires connected to the correct connection on the board might be impossible.

That might not apply to the battery holder at all, but is somewhat of an unknown. The contacts on the board's battery holder are the safest way to go. Just be VERY sure to get the + and - connections right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    That should work, if I understand what you mean by, "... + & - wires coming out of it and I am going to solder those to motherboards CR2032 battery contacts".

If you mean the contacts on the board's broken battery holder, then I think it will work.

If you mean you would try to remove the broken battery holder first, and connect the wires on the new battery holder to the board itself, that would be much more difficult, and might not work.

Mother boards usually have multiple layers of electrical connections, which might only be ground paths, and if the battery holder is connected to one of the internal layers and not the one on the bottom of the board, getting the wires connected to the correct connection on the board might be impossible.

That might not apply to the battery holder at all, but is somewhat of an unknown. The contacts on the board's battery holder are the safest way to go. Just be VERY sure to get the + and - connections right, of course.
    Yeah just solder a thin gauge electrical wire to each of the contacts in the original battery holder on the motherboard then run those wires to the new CR2032 battery holder. Not going to try and remove or replace the original battery holder on the motherboard just like tap in to it via the battery contacts. If it doesn't work I`l just keep the good components in it as spare parts for my brothers computer all the parts are compatible.

Here`s a pic of what I`m trying to fix. As you can see in the pic part of the plastic side of the battery holder broke and no longer holds the battery firmly in place to make a good contact. With out the battery the computer will turn on then turn off and repeat.

QUOTE=parsec;477751]That should work, if I understand what you mean by, "... + & - wires coming out of it and I am going to solder those to motherboards CR2032 battery contacts".

That might not apply to the battery holder at all, but is somewhat of an unknown. The contacts on the board's battery holder are the safest way to go. Just be VERY sure to get the + and - connections right, of course.[/QUOTE]

Name:  DSCN1507.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  134.4 KB[

- wardog - is online now Spam Killer

Soldier on .....er..um I mean solder away. :)

Wow! You have an explosion there? Things look a little brown.

Battery swell and let loose it looks like.

It wasn't a cheap motherboard when it first came out, it was over $200 new and its right around 6 years old but still worked well up to when I had to replace the battery and the plastic on one side of the battery holder broke.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Soldier on .....er..um I mean solder away. :)

Wow! You have an explosion there? Things look a little brown.

Battery swell and let loose it looks like.

Thread Information