Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Com1 Serial Port Conflict

tooter is offline Junior Member

I have a Com1 Serial Port conflict with my Sony VAIO PVC-RS422 Computer. I want to install a Philips TSU2000 Programmable Remote Control in Com1, since it will not work on any other Com port. Since the Sony has no Serial Port, I am using a USB to Serial Port Adapter. When I attempt to install the Adapter, the Windows XP Device Manager shows that Com1 is "in use," although no physical device is present in the Ports section. The Registry shows Com1 allocated to "DosDevice." Any ideas on how to free up the Com1 port would be greatly appreciated.

asklepios is offline Moderator

look in the device manager whether you have any IRQ conflicts.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

tooter is offline Junior Member

I have already checked all the IRQs, and there are no conflicts noted in the Device Manager. I can only conclude that Com1 is captured by a MotherBoard setting. At this point I have not gone inside the computer since I have just recently purchased it, and did not want to get into the hardware. Sony Tech Support personnel via telephone were totally ignorant of the "out of the box" Com1 setting; further, I was later informed by email that they would not spend any effort on the problem since it was really a "third party hardware incompatibility problem," i.e., the Philips Pronto TSU2000 Programmable Remote. Philips is aware of the "problem," but they have gone on to bigger and better Pronto designs, and don't intend to revisit the TSU2000. Thanks.

DaemonLee is offline Junior Member

Sounds like me and my D-link R-100 Radio. They gave me the prog, but wouldn't advise me how to fix it. -.- I'd call Phillips, and then Sony or whoever. Have a group thing going on. Or send out a CC email.

Thread Information