Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

brutalizer is offline Junior Member

Default Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

I am looking for the smallest ATX chassis. It should hold at minimum 1-2 disks, a decent gaming graphics card and silent cpu cooler. The thing is, I dont want huge ATX chassis anymore. The trend goes towards smaller chassis.

I looked at the PC-V650 but it is discontinued. It would have been perfect if it had cable management behind the motherboard, it is ok if the chassis is slightly wider to get cable management, that is a good trade off. There are some minor flaws, if you read newegg reviews:
    LIAN LI PC-V650B Black Aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
    "The mounting of the mobo is incorrect and located it the wrong place you can not use air cooling except oem cooling. Any good cooler will hit the psu. The mobo has a cut out for the cpu cooling solution but it is in the wrong place and the mounting will not allow you to get to the mounting holes. Tried to send Lian Li pictures of what is wrong but the e-mail they sent me will not work. There is a lot of wasted space in here, they could have made this a nice little cube if they wanted."

"The mother board is mounted in the wrong position, it needs to be 1/2" higher up in the chassis. The cut out for the cpu is 1" too far back in the chassis. These mistakes makes it not possible to use a good cpu cooler, you have to take the mobo out all the time because the cpu cut out covers the mounting holes on one side of the mounting. For what you pay for this thing you would think they could make it workable and correct. Now newegg needs to take back my new HE01 cooler. Realy dissapointing. Where is the quality control on this product."

Will Lian Li release a upgraded version of PC-V650 soon? Or plans on a small ATX case? I am going to build a small and silent Supermicro Xeon workstation very soon.

Default Re: Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

Another thing, many people are using a PC stand so the PC hangs under the table. The PC is mounted just under the table like this:
    http://www.dustinhome.se/image/917172

So, I can not buy chassis where the USB connections are on the top, on the roof. Please consider this when you design new chassis?

PS. I dont post on the other forum extremetech, because it cost money to register there.

PS. the PC-V650 is a really sexy chassis, if you just fixed the minor flaws (cable management, move the mobo to align better), it would be a real killer for those who want the smallest ATX case.

Tyler.Bernath is online now TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

I must say I am slightly confused by your previous post's. Are you looking for a chassis? or did you already purchase the PC-V650 from Lian Li and are now unhappy with it?

I am looking for the smallest ATX chassis. I have looked at the PC-V650 but reviews on newegg says the PC-V650 has some flaws. The PC-V650 has also been discontinued, but can still be found at some vendors.

Is Lian Li going to fix those flaws and release an upgraded version of PC-V650? If not, will Lian Li release soon small ATX chassis? Would be great if I knew so I can plan my workstation Xeon Supermicro.

Was this clearer?

Tyler.Bernath is online now TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

Thank you for the reply, I have no knowledge if Lian li will update their chassis or not but there are other options. Look at the PC-a05fnb or cooler master elite 360 even the PC-a55b.

Lian Li Tech is online now Lian Li Tech Support

Hey Brutalizer,

The PC-V650 is near end of production, so it will unlikely be restocked by Newegg. As for plans to update the V650, there is nothing in the works now.

If you are looking for a smaller ATX case that is currently available on Newegg, I would recommend the PC-A05FNB. The PC-A55 is also a small ATX case, but it is currently out of stock. BTW, a lot of times when Newegg says "discontinued", it just means out of stock. :)

I do agree with you on the trend for smaller and smaller chassis. While full towers are awesome to have and easy to work with, for mainstream use they are not necessary.
    GlobalPR.com.tw | Official Agency for Lian Li
    Visit Lian Li at www.Lian-Li.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/LianLiHQ

Quote Originally Posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
    Hey Brutalizer,

The PC-V650 is near end of production, so it will unlikely be restocked by Newegg. As for plans to update the V650, there is nothing in the works now.

If you are looking for a smaller ATX case that is currently available on Newegg, I would recommend the PC-A05FNB. The PC-A55 is also a small ATX case, but it is currently out of stock. BTW, a lot of times when Newegg says "discontinued", it just means out of stock. :)

I do agree with you on the trend for smaller and smaller chassis. While full towers are awesome to have and easy to work with, for mainstream use they are not necessary.
    Do you have plans to release another small ATX case soon? I can still buy a PC-V650, they are still available at some places. The PC-V650 is smaller than the PC-A05FNB, so I might buy the V650 instead. The V650 could be the ultimate small case, if the flaws where corrected. Best in class, it could be.

Lian Li Tech is online now Lian Li Tech Support

There will not be a smallish ATX case coming out soon. It does seem like you have your heart set on the V650, so if that is what you are feeling go for it.

Im curious though. Since you are looking for a small case, why not go for M-ATX or M-ITX?
    GlobalPR.com.tw | Official Agency for Lian Li
    Visit Lian Li at www.Lian-Li.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/LianLiHQ

Quote Originally Posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
    There will not be a smallish ATX case coming out soon. It does seem like you have your heart set on the V650, so if that is what you are feeling go for it.

Im curious though. Since you are looking for a small case, why not go for M-ATX or M-ITX?
    I want a full sized ATX mobo, because smaller form factors lack in functionality (PCIe slots, etc). I am going for a small Supermicro Xeon ECC workstation build. To it I will connect a 16-24 disk DAS with a sff-8088 cable whenever I need storage. Later I might want to expand with more cards, like the Xeon Phi compute node or so. A small mobo might not have all slots that I need.

The V650 could be the perfect case, if it had better cable manegement and the mobo moved up a bit. That is why I am slightly hesitant. The cpu cooler is a concern because it will easily hit the PSU, because the mobo needs to move a bit. I need to find a good cpu cooler and dito PSU combo that will power a Haswell Xeon. Do you happen to know such a combo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information