Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EverGlide Launches Gaming Mat - Optica

Mr.Tweak is online now Founder

Gaming Mat - Optica:

Features: Specifically designed for corded and cordless optically enhanced mice
    Launch Date: 8/15/02
    URL: www.everglide.com
    Specks:
    Custom Image: 4 Color Custom Art Available - See attached JPG
    Trim Size: 8 x 10 1/2 x 1/16
    .012" Mil Velvet, Scratch-Resistant Textured Vinyl
    1/32" Rubber Mat
    SRP: $9.95

The Back Story
    Optical mice see everything in the red spectrum no matter what color is really there because it uses a red LED to light the surface on which it rests.

Cordless optical mice have a power saving feature that shines less light on highly reflective surfaces and more light on less reflective surfaces.

The Surface Contrast and/or Image Pattern:
    The mouse optical eye must detect a difference in the surface as the mouse moves over it. If the surface and/or image is too regular the eye can't distinguish the differences in the surface as it moves and therefore cannot track.

Example - plain paper has enough surface randomness for the optical mouse to track. Paper has a very fine very random texture.

Therefore:
    If you use a high percentage of very light colors and just enough black (contrast medium) so that the optical eye can track movement you will achieve the goals of conserving power and attaining good tracking.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Wiggo is offline Senior Member

Gee I havn't used a mouse pad in 18 months now. :D

jago6498 is offline Junior Member

Me either, not since i got my IntelliPoint Explorer 1.0. but i am using a sweet "Discover AMD" mousepad that sticks to the desk. pretty nifty idea.:D

Mr.Tweak is online now Founder

The table does the trick for me as well but I'm very keen to see how this product goes!
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

SegiY is offline Senior Member

If laser mice work off the red spectrum (hence the red LED), What happens if you do the blue LED mod?
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Thread Information