4 GB of DDR RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 GB of DDR RAM

hi, ive just brought another 2bg of RAM for my pc so i will have a total of 4gb when it gets here.
    But so far with any motherboard that i buy they tend to only like 2gb max.
    My current motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLi, It has a max of 4gb 4X1gb. Is there somthink that im missing, some settings on the motherboard i have to enable for it to use 4gb. All the RAM that ive got and bought are the same make and model so it has a better chance of working (Samsung 1gb DDR 3200 400mhz).
    This is the problem when i got over the 2gb's (on any motherboard that support 4gb) and try to boot, the motherboard will either continuesly beep or beep in a pattern. Ive tried to reset the BIOS....Nothing happened....Ive tested each ram by itself and they all work.
    Any ideas

Re: 4 GB of DDR RAM

With Windows XP, 4GB is put to waste, it cannot use it effectively and you cannot mix two brands/types of RAM. (Aka Samsung and Corsair)

Comment

You need to set the command rate in bios to 2T before adding the otehr 2GB in. Windows XP will use around 3-3.9GB of ram.

What CPU are you using?
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
        You need to set the command rate in bios to 2T before adding the otehr 2GB in. Windows XP will use around 3-3.9GB of ram.

What CPU are you using?
        Just to make it easier on you here are my specs
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
        Windows XP Pro X64
        (current) 2X1gb RAM DDR 3200 400mhz Samsung
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLi
        Nvidia Geforce 7900GTO X2 in SLi
        800watt power supply

Ive order the exact same RAM as the current one that ive got.. Also what and how do u set the BIOS to 2T

Comment

winxp64 loves 4G of ram

do a bios update as well
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar View Post
            winxp64 loves 4G of ram

do a bios update as well
            My BIOS was shipped with the lastest version so i dont need to..
            But what is this 2T thing in the BIOS settings

Comment

Its the timing of your memory. Look for it in the memory options in your BIOS.

Comment

Yeah, with XP 64 bt you'll see all 4GB of ram too. You want to look for "1T/2T RAM TIMING" and set it to 2T. Here is a picture of your bios screen with the setting:

http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php...&id=262&page=6
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate

Comment

Yeah, with XP 64 bt you'll see all 4GB of ram too. You want to look for "1T/2T RAM TIMING" and set it to 2T. Here is a picture of your bios screen with the setting:

http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php...&id=262&page=6
                  What if i leave the RAM timing on auto. or could i just install the extra RAM and then reset the BIOS CMOS setings by the jumper swich

Comment

You need to manually set that to 2T or you will have issues. Use 2 sticks to boot up and go into bios. Set it to 2T and then power down. Then install all 4 sticks and it should work fine.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate

Comment

You need to manually set that to 2T or you will have issues. Use 2 sticks to boot up and go into bios. Set it to 2T and then power down. Then install all 4 sticks and it should work fine.
                      Ok i will give it a try, My new RAM arrives monday, hopefully it will work..
                      I dont understand why you have to change the BIOS setting tho, cuse someone with less experience wouldnt of understood why there pc didnt except 4gb's of RAM when there Motherboard supports it. (Like me lol)

Comment

Hi ive just installed the extra 2gb of RAM, it works and windows now registers that i have 4gb's. But the problem is that i havnt seen the slightest increase in performance. any ideas

Comment

Originally posted by UK_Karlos View Post
                          Hi ive just installed the extra 2gb of RAM, it works and windows now registers that i have 4gb's. But the problem is that i havnt seen the slightest increase in performance. any ideas
                          Uh... Did you expect to? For the vast majority of all systems and applications, 2GB is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
                            Uh... Did you expect to? For the vast majority of all systems and applications, 2GB is more than enough.
                            It's just that i thought that with the 4bg RAM some game gliches may dissapper.. eg Oblivion used to run really well on my pc then one day it started lagging and the HDD was always loading. The game used to use 1.5gb RAM and 2gb page file. but now the more u give the game the more it takes. It now uses 2.5gb RAM, 4gb pagefile, but the lag and the constant loading of the HDD is still there.. I know Oblivion is memory and graphics intense.. I have 2x Nvidia 7900gto in SLi. Ive tried every know possible way to make my HDD run smoothly. Any ideas

Comment

Oblivion is different from most games, however it shouldn't be that bad with a system like that.

Be sure to see this and read it in its entirety. It will get you far.

Make sure your hard drive is completely defragmented, your pagefile is at least 4GB (I might even use more on a system with 4GBs of RAM), and that you don't have any applications running in the background. You should be under twenty processes in Task Manager before you load into the game to be absolutely certain a background application isn't hurting performance. You can probably get away with a lot more than that, but you want to nail this problem before you try.

Make sure your video card, chipset, and sound card drivers are up to date. Make sure the game has the latest patch. Try reinstalling TES4 if all else fails.

You could also try different games to see if the problem is restricted to Oblivion. I've found Company of Heroes and Neverwinter Nights 2 to be very intensive games. NWN2 is almost as performance-hungry as Oblivion when it comes to the actual rendering process. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good comparison to Oblivion in the area of memory consumption and loading times. I suppose Battlefield 2/2142 would be the closest.

All that said, what resolution and settings do you have in Oblivion? Although that system can handle almost anything maxed out, Oblivion at the right resolution with the right settings could bring it to its knees.

BTW, what model hard drive do you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X