Problem with entering Power Save Mode on Boot-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with entering Power Save Mode on Boot-up

I have built a new computer. I ran memtest after building it with no problems. I successfully installed Windows XP and updates. It has not been overclocked. When I start it from a cold start (complete power-down and wait for a few minutes), it will go through the boot process (Bios Splash screen, loading XP, plain blue screen) and when it goes to the login screen, the screen goes black and the monitor show that it is in power save mode.
    If I boot it in Safe mode, it will come up fine. And if I reboot at that point it will reboot and start Windows as if nothing is wrong.

I also have an Ubuntu 7.04 CD. When I boot from it, the same thing happens. It boots fine until it reaches the login screen and then the monitor goes into power save mode.

Any suggestions what I need to do next to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks
    ==================
    System:
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R Rev 2.1 BIOS - F2
    Intel E8400 w/CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 Cooler
    GSkill 2x2GB DDR2 1000
    Connect3D X1800GTO
    Corsair HX620W
    WD 500GB 7200RPM Sata
    Pioneer DVR-215D
    Windows XP Pro SP 2

Re: Problem with entering Power Save Mode on Boot-up

Look in control panel and disable any power saving features

Comment

I should have given a better desctiption of my problem. When the computer boots up, the login screen displays for a brief period (5-10 seconds) with an hour glass and then goes blank. The monitor then displays "Power Save Mode" and I can not get the computer to "wake-up" again.

I have disabled the monitor and disk power down settings in the control panel. I have also disabled the hibernate function. It is still locking up in power-save mode on boot-up.

I have also gone to the Power Management screen in the BIOS and set it to the following:
      Power Management Setup
      ACPI Suspend Type [S1(POS)]
      Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN [Delay 4 Sec.]
      PME Event Wake Up_________ [Disabled]
      Power On by Ring__________ [Disabled]
      Resume by Alarm___________ [Disabled]
      x Date (of Month) Alarm Everyday
      x Time (hh:mm:ss) Alarm 0 : 0 : 0
      HPET Support (Note)_______ [Enabled]
      HPET Mode_________________ [32-bit mode]
      Power On By Mouse_________ [Disabled]
      Power On By Keyboard______ [Disabled]
      KB Power ON Password______ [Enter]
      AC Back Function__________ [Soft-Off]

Still no change. Any suggestions for what to try next?

Comment

I just tried something else. When booting to XP, I booted in VGA mode (hit F8 during power-up, select "Enable VGA") and it came up without having the video shut-off and the monitor displaying "Power Save Mode".

Could it be a bad video card/drivers? (In spite of being an older video card, this is the first time it has been used).

Comment

I was about to suggest safe mode, or VGA mode. I would say it could be your PSU, do you have the card plugged fully into the PSU? And are you sure that PSU's Video power plugs are ok? Can you test that on a different system, or with a different card in your system.

And, old card or not a new card could still be DOA, so if possible I would try to borrow a buddy's card or use one of your older cards that you are SURE work. You should also go in safe mode and install the newest driver for your Video card, and while you are there install Intel Inf Installer package >>>
          Drivers & Software
          Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters (This is on your mobo CD as well)

Comment

I had already ruled out the power supply. This is the second power supply I tried and when I checked the PCI-e connector, it was firmly plugged in.

I had wanted to try a different video card, but all of my previous systems had VBA video cards. Today, I was able to borrow a nvidia 8500 GT. Once I unloaded the ATI drivers and loaded the nvidia drivers, the new card worked. WIndows came up and ran with no problems.

I then switched back to the old ATI card, rebooted in VGA mode, unloaded the nvidia drivers, reloaded the ATI drivers (freshly downloaded from the ATI website) and watched the old problem reappear.

Just to make sure I cover all possibilities, since it is a modular power supply, I have tried using the other socket on the power supply for the PCI-e power connector. I also tried using the 4 pin peripheral power to 6 pin PCI connector. I am still having the same problem.

I also reinstalled the Intel INF drivers. No change.

I think it is a video card problem and would be solved with a different video card. Do you agree?

Thanks for your assistance.
            Last edited by Hjalmar; 06-30-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Ya, sounds to me like you have a old, but DOA graphics card. Was it yours and you just never used it, or did you buy it used and they told you it had not been used yet? Yeah, either way sounds like a DOA card to me

Comment

The video card was mine. I just hadn't used it previously. I am ordering a new card to replace it today.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Ahh, well! I guess you should have tested it when you got it, anyway I am glad you found your issue!

Good luck with your new card when you get it

Comment

Working...
                  X