Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P Memory Selection s3 sleep mode problem

Hello all,

I would love a quick recommendation for this motherboard - I have seen many posts about how picky this board can be with memory selection.

I have an Intel Q9300 processor and am looking for 4gb of ram with 2 - 2gb sticks. I don't plan on overclocking - I am just looking for stability.

I currently have Gskill DDR2 1000 sticks and the computer runs fine in windows xp pro but when it entersresumes from s3 sleep mode every once in awhile the computer continuously tries to restart. I ran memtest from a CD and it runs for a couple of seconds and then reboots the computer. It seems stange to me that when in windows the computer runs fine and prime95 will run for 6 plus hours with no problem.

I have an RMA for the current ram - so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Memory Selection s3 sleep mode problem

Well, there seems to be a "sleep" issue with these boards but I have 4gb OCZ Reaper 1066 2x2 and they seem to run great at their rated speed and they are cheap like $50.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.0ghz 1600FSB 1.20v
    eVGA 9800GTX+
    2X2gb OCZ Reaper 1066
    Corsair 650TX
    Seagate 500gb
    Windows Vx64U
    Antec 900

Comment

You shouldn't have S3 issues at stock (NO Overclock) provided that you have set a few things in the BIOS such as Ram voltage, performance enhance to standard and maybe MCH Voltage depending

Do you need some help with settings, or did you already RMA the ram?

Comment

Hi. I have a GA-ep45-dsq6. I didn't overclock it (yes i overclock so don't even go there) but was having sleep problems after a vista reinstall when I didn't have them before. Everything i've read on the net seems to suggest its not a memory problem with the ga-ep45 boards. The reason is the board's will indeed properly save your work to the memory; you know this is true because when you pull the plug and reinsert it, it boots up as if running from sleep and does it pretty well.

I contacted a microsoft and asked and a really cool guy game me some pointers that may help fix this issue. Apparently the problem probably lies in devices not waking up properly and the more common the device the more widespread the issue will be. I mean its not just ep45-ud3s, but pretty much every ep45 gigabyte board.

Anyway here's what he said. Actually do read it because at least part of it was not intuitive but it's stuff that's easily missed. By the way, it fixed my sleep/eternal power cycling problem.

Originally posted by Microsoft Tech

Suggestion 1: Configure Sleep settings in Power Options.
        =======================
        1. Please click the Start Button, type "Power Options" (without the quotation marks) in the Search Bar and press Enter to start Power Options.

2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings under the power plan we selected.

3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click the Advanced settings tab, expand “Multimedia settings”-> "When sharing media", select "Allow the computer to sleep". (I had it on a mode that kept it awake)

4. Click OK to save the settings.

After allow the computer to sleep, please check if the sleep is functioning fine.

Suggestion 2: Turn off Power Management on Network adapter.
        ==================================
        1. Click the Start Button, type "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar, press enter. Click Continue if necessary.
        2. In the Device Manager. Please expand “Network adapters” by clicking “+”. You will find your Network adapter listed below.
        3. Right click Network adapter, in the right click menu, please click Properties.
        4. Please switch to Power Management tab.
        5. Uncheck the checkbox of “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.” (That's right uncheck it people!)

If you are not sure of where you Wireless Network adapter is, please send me a screenshot of Device Manager, I will check it for you.

What’s the result can we turn off the Power Management on network adapter?

Suggestion 3: Check Mouse Power Management.
        ==================================
        1. Click the Start Button, type "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar, press enter. Click Continue if necessary.
        2. In the Device Manager. Please expand “Mice and other pointing devices” by clicking “+”. You will find your Mouse listed below.
        3. Right click your Mouse, in the right click menu, please click Properties.
        4. Please switch to Power Management tab.
        5. Make sure the checkbox of “Allow this device to wake the computer.” is checked.

Comment

Those are all great suggestions and tips Sunburn74, but.....

It looks to me like he misunderstood the issue at hand, well the issue I mean most users have with S3.

Those comments he sent you look like he is trying to help you assure the computer can enter S3 sleep mode and remain in S3 sleep mode. He may have been trying to cover both ends of it, not sure, maybe you can ask him? While those issues do sometimes arise that some users cannot enter S3 properly or cannot remain in S3 (PC Resumes for no reason) that is not what most users complain about or have trouble finding the cause of.

The issue most users have, and yes it is across the board market not just Gigabyte, is when resuming from S3 when overclocked there is issues. Some will not fully resume at all, some will crash out, and some will just boot cycle.

Of course all motherboard manufacturers do work on this issue and roll out BIOS's trying to fix it, it is generally not fixed right away. Normally several Beta Cycles of BIOS's are needed to fully fix the issue. Such as It is fixed in P45 Normal models, but not yet P45-UD3 models. And Some X58's have it corrected already, and some are still in the works.

Of course, as mentioned previously all BIOS settings related to the users overclock and hardware also play a factor in this, but if a BIOS is fixed per one model yet a user cannot resume still it would be per his hardware or settings and not the motherboard/BIOS directly at fault.

Is this guy a regular Tech you speak with or are friendly with? If so, PM me his email if he does not mind I would like to speak with him further on his thoughts about this.

I have been informed by a few that it is often the USB5V+ hidden settings within the BIOS's that cause the issues, and those settings are tied in with other settings and Auto settings and is what makes it hard to clamp down on what exactly needs to be set to what in the BIOS code for it to properly function when overclocked/not Auto

On that note S3 Sleep functioning in GA-Ex58-UD4P BIOS f7e without issue at 190-212 Blck for anyone using this board that needs S3 to function properly

Comment

Oh I know the problem all too well. My point is the solution that reverting to stock fixes all issues I think is somewhat of a placebo. The real solution may lie in vista settings.

He was a microsoft tech who was working out some tricky corruption issues I was having. The sleep thing came out of that. Here's what happened

For some reason i couldn't install net framework service pack 3.5. After trying several differnt things, we ended up doing a clean install. With no bios settings changed (ie still at stock and auto's across the board. I decided not to overclock becasue I needed sleep more than I needed the speed), my computer could suddenly not sleep anymore (it would power cycle and all). I was floored. I went into the bios and again forced all stock settings (why? they were already at stock but maybe something subtely changed; it couldn't hurt to try) and still could not sleep.

So I messaged him saying I've now lost sleep function and he said it's possible that certain window's settings are interfering. He PMed "window's sleep consults" and that email I posted was the result of it. I followed his instructions and my sleep was fixed. I have yet to try it with an oced board, but I will try it this weekend to see. But it kind of makes sense that whatever the issue is it's something global, but some people have no issues and somepeople don't. If I were to say to you, the difference is that some people with p45 boards run vista, some run XP, some run linux and all those OSes handle sleep differently, doesn't that kinda make sense? Maybe p45's have a problem with something vista wants to do (ie not sleep when searching for media with WMP within your home network)

anyway I'll forward the email as soon as I get the chance.

edit:HOLY MACKEREL!!!

I can OVERCLOCK and SLEEP NOW!!!! This is ridiculous!!!! PROBLEM FIXED!!! PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Ok let me be clear. I have an e8400 and a ga-ep45-dsq6. In the past and before i made the vista changes, if i turned clock control to manual and increased my fsb even one mhz whilst keeping everything on auto, i immediately lost sleep function. In fact, I actually once oced my e8400 to 4 ghz and could prime for 12+ hours with no crash and still couldn't go to sleep (if you're assuming it's a memory thing). Then I made the vista changes and I could now make the one mhz change without the loss of sleep. In fact, I took it up to 399mhz whilst keeping everything on auto and it sleeps fine. The only thing changed where the FSB and of course the simply vista tweaks.

At 425 mhz, it went into a sleep power cycle, but that 425 was just me plugging in a a number on the other side of 400mhz to see what it'd do. It was in no way stable. Look I had this problem across 2 boards. I really think the problem may be partially with windows as well as partially with the board, but more with windows.
            Last edited by Sunburn74; 03-20-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I think you are right, it is very likely a OS issue as well as board. I do know sometimes XP works when vista wont for S3, but it also happens the other way around. You just see more Vista issues present these days due to more users are using it

Comment

I have the resume from S3 endless reboot loop issue in Vista x64, and OSX so I don't think it's OS dependent. I'm using the F9 bios btw and a q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz (400 x 8)

Comment

no it is not OS dependent. I reproduced it under ubuntu 9.10 as well......

edit: guys I've solved my issue for now. see this thread
                  Last edited by luckman212; 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X