Easy Tune 6 (ET6), update nag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Tune 6 (ET6), update nag

The last two versions of ET6 are nagging for an update even though I have the latest version; Easy Tune 6 B09.0216.1. I uninstalled, and deleted all the the remaining ET6 folders, then reinstalled the latest version. I still get "Please live update your ET6 to latest version" nag on every start up.

I ran UpdSettingDLG.exe on both versions and checked the do not update box. UpdSettingDLG.exe, ignored that setting. I even uninstalled that program and reinstalled ET6. No luck!

Re: Easy Tune 6 (ET6), update nag

What board are you using, and what BIOS version? And if you are using the latest BIOS did you load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      What board are you using, and what BIOS version? And if you are using the latest BIOS did you load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed?
      I flashed to the latest supported version, F5, and was sure to load defaults. POST does show F5, so it took. Oh, I'm running Vista 32bit.

Comment

So is it now working ok or not? If not, please flash to the latest Beta or wait for the next final

What board are you using??

Comment

So is it now working ok or not? If not, please flash to the latest Beta or wait for the next final

What board are you using??
          Sorry but in most forums my signature has my configuration.

Gigabyte X58-UD5 (F5), Vista 32Bit
          Intel 940, SLI PNY 9800+
          OCZ Memory, 3GB, 1600
          Thermaltake 850W PS and case
          Raid 0 WD Black 1TB (2x500GB), WD 250GB

Yes, the system is working fine. I'm using ET6 (Yellow, Level 2). It's just annoying. Because of Vista UAC, I have to hit continue on every boot just to start ET6, then the update nag comes up. Microsoft says you can write an ET6 that passes UAC, and let's fix this update NAG.

Comment

Ahh ok, this better explains some of your issues to me.

I do think the update NAG will not be fixed for you unless you use the Latest Beta BIOS and load/apply optimized, or wait for the final F6 The Latest Final does not have the needed fix, Sorry I forgot to tell you that a post or two ago

You should be overclocking in the BIOS, of course. But since you mention UAC, there is a few things you can do.

Do you want UAC enabled? If not I can tell you how to disable it. Or you can change how it reacts to certain programs, here is a few guides on doing that. >>

General UAC Guides and or Tips
            Windows Vista: User Account Control Technet Microsoft

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/aa905108.aspx

User Account Control (UAC) Policy Settings Explained: Understanding User Account Control (UAC) Policy Settings in Windows Vista Local Security Policy

Vista UAC Setup Guide In Local Security Policy

Tweak Or Disable Windows Vista UAC With TweakUAC

SG FAQ :: How to change Vista User Account Control (UAC) settings ?

User Account Control (UAC) Policy Settings Explained: Understanding User Account Control (UAC) Policy Settings in Windows Vista Local Security Policy

Make User Account Control (UAC) Stop Blacking Out the Screen | Windows Vista Guides | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

Program to Tweak UAC for you so you do not need to do it all manually >>
            A Complete Guide for Tweaking User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista - Tweaking with Vishal

Download
            Download TweakUAC for Windows Vista

Or Replace UAC

Per Program changes (For a different App, but same process would apply to ET)
            Vista - Avoiding UAC problems (Guide) - Crystalfontz LCD Forum

Since you are using Easytune to overclock this will be of no help, until you do your overclocking in the BIOS, but this is what I do always with Easytune since I only use it to monitor things every now and again. Right click the tray icon and uncheck the "Always Run on Next Reboot". This will stop the program from running in your startup.

Then I use this to disable the hidden startup service for it, that calls the update check >>>
            StartupCPL

This program once installed will be in your control panel, called Startup. If you are using x64 system it will be inside 32bit control panels items in your control panel. Open that, and then as shown here uncheck or delete this entry >>>

I use ET and a X58, and do not see UAC for ET at all, but I do have mine disabled from startup with the above program.... And of course I have UAC itself disabled as well. I know, not much help but just wanted to let you know it gives me zero issues.

Sorry for the long post, only to notice that I forgot to remind you abut the Beta BIOS fixes the update issue with ET, but I am not sure any of that address UAC Nags (Not sure)

UAC is also already Digitally signed Signed, and once you have the newer BIOS and allow it once it should be ok to go from them on out. I think your issue now may stem from using the old BIOS that does not have the Easytune Fix in it >>

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-15-2009, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Ahh ok, this better explains some of your issues to me.

I do think the update NAG will not be fixed for you unless you use the Latest Beta BIOS and load/apply optimized, or wait for the final F6 The Latest Final does not have the needed fix, Sorry I forgot to tell you that a post or two ago

You should be overclocking in the BIOS, of course. But since you mention UAC, there is a few things you can do.

Do you want UAC enabled? If not I can tell you how to disable it. Or you can change how it reacts to certain programs, here is a few guides on doing that. >>

General UAC Guides and or Tips
              Windows Vista: User Account Control Technet Microsoft

Selectively disable UAC for your trusted Vista applications | Microsoft Windows | TechRepublic.com

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/aa905108.aspx

Vista UAC Setup Guide In Local Security Policy

Tweak Or Disable Windows Vista UAC With TweakUAC

SG FAQ :: How to change Vista User Account Control (UAC) settings ?

Make User Account Control (UAC) Stop Blacking Out the Screen | Windows Vista Guides | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

Program to Tweak UAC for you so you do not need to do it all manually >>
              A Complete Guide for Tweaking User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista - Tweaking with Vishal

Download
              Download TweakUAC for Windows Vista

Or Replace UAC
              Home :: Smart UAC Replacement

Per Program changes (For a different App, but same process would apply to ET)
              Vista - Avoiding UAC problems (Guide) - Crystalfontz LCD Forum

Since you are using Easytune to overclock this will be of no help, until you do your overclocking in the BIOS, but this is what I do always with Easytune since I only use it to monitor things every now and again. Right click the tray icon and uncheck the "Always Run on Next Reboot". This will stop the program from running in your startup.

Then I use this to disable the hidden startup service for it, that calls the update check >>>
              StartupCPL

This program once installed will be in your control panel, called Startup. If you are using x64 system it will be inside 32bit control panels items in your control panel. Open that, and then as shown here uncheck or delete this entry >>>

I use ET and a X58, and do not see UAC for ET at all, but I do have mine disabled from startup with the above program.... And of course I have UAC itself disabled as well. I know, not much help but just wanted to let you know it gives me zero issues.

Sorry for the long post, only to notice that I forgot to remind you abut the Beta BIOS fixes the update issue with ET, but I am not sure any of that address UAC Nags (Not sure)

UAC is also already Digitally signed Signed, and once you have the newer BIOS and allow it once it should be ok to go from them on out. I think your issue now may stem from using the old BIOS that does not have the Easytune Fix in it >>

You did a lot of work and research and I want to you to know it is appreciated. Unfortunately all of your recommendations to get rid of the update do not work.

The first thing I tried was to get rid of ET6 startup, it just rebuilds it in the registry startup, and starts up anyway. Today 04/04/2008 I installed the new F6 BIOS. Not only does ET6 start, it still displays the update NAG. So the original problem is still there.

For the most part your recommendations are "if it hurts to do that, don't do that". Meaning ET6. Why do you supply this utility if you recommend I don't USE IT? There are multiple posts with overclocking gone bad. ET6 supposedly is a quick and easy tune path to an overclock.

Next steps???

Gigabyte X58-UD5 (F6), Vista 32Bit
              Intel 940, SLI PNY 9800+
              OCZ Memory, 3GB, 1600
              Thermaltake 850W PS and case
              Raid 0 WD Black 1TB (2x500GB), WD 250GB

Comment

Steve,
                bios F5E which was released to fix the broken sleep mode, but a new bug was introduced, the nag screen. Since then several bios in the F6x range eliminate the
                nag without re- breaking sleep mode, F6E is but one example.
                In other words, you need not put up with the nag, just update to the right bios.

Comment

Originally posted by roller11 View Post
                  Steve,
                  bios F5E which was released to fix the broken sleep mode, but a new bug was introduced, the nag screen. Since then several bios in the F6x range eliminate the
                  nag without re- breaking sleep mode, F6E is but one example.
                  In other words, you need not put up with the nag, just update to the right bios.
                  When I upgraded last week to F6 from the Gigabyte site, it does not tell you which version of F6(X) is there. The version of F6 on the Gigabyte website does not fix the NAG. Normally I don't install beta BIOS releases.

At this point Easy Tune has ceased being Easy, and is a PITA. I'll just uninstall ET6 and raise the BCLK manually.

Does anyone have any recommendations to replace the part of ET6 that monitors CPU temp and fan speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Steveru621 View Post
                    When I upgraded last week to F6 from the Gigabyte site, it does not tell you which version of F6(X) is there. The version of F6 on the Gigabyte website does not fix the NAG. Normally I don't install beta BIOS releases.

At this point Easy Tune has ceased being Easy, and is a PITA. I'll just uninstall ET6 and raise the BCLK manually.

Does anyone have any recommendations to replace the part of ET6 that monitors CPU temp and fan speed?
                    There is no 'official' and 'beta' bios, there are only those bios that have bug and those that don't. Since F6 and F5E are known to have this unpleasant bug, and F6E and possibly others don't, you are destined for failure if you choose to use the bios that has this bug, and reject the bios that does not have bug.
                    You can try speedfan, that should take care of the fan and temp monitoring. But then you have no Smart Fan which you get only if you use EasyTune6 since Giga choose not to put SF in bios.

Comment

you must be useing more then 6 gigs of ram i noticed when i run 6 gigs it opens fine on start up

if i have 12 gigs installed i get the update propt

I would just uninstall it as easy tune is really worthless only thing is good for is seeing your CPU temp

if you overclock your better off doing everything from bios
                      Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                      Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                      Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                      2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                      6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                      2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                      Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                      Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                      Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                      Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                      Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

All Beta BIOS's are here if you would like to try one out >>>

You would need to either look thru the thread for which has been reported to solve what, or just try the latest Beta.

Nothing is rebuilt in the registry after you disable Easytune the way I noted, I always do it that way myself. What you do have to do maybe I did not mention is to make the noted changes after you install it and reboot, and of course anytime you update the program as well. It does not run to Nag on startup at all on my systems, services or otherwise even with the NON functioning older versions and older BIOS's

I am sorry for making all these suggestions for you, only to now realize why you wanted Easytune! I do not suggest you use it anyway for overclocking, most of us use it ONLY for voltage references or to show others in images what settings/voltages are used for what clocks, or to test small changes before making them in the BIOS.

All real overclocking should always be done in the BIOS.

I suggest you use RealTemp or CoreTemp to monitor your core temps and you can use Everest Ultimate to monitor voltages and other temps (Core Temps included) all on one page (Computer, sensor section).

I use Everest and RealTemp myself, here is a pic of Everest Sensor page, which shows voltages, temps, fan speeds, and CPU power used to give you an example>>>

You can get both of these here >>>

If you use RealTemp please be sure to calibrate it, here is the guide on that >>
                        Documentation & Calibration Page

Comment

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions.
                          Easy Tune gets uninstalled tonight.

True or not, I considered any BIOS that was posted on the Gigabyte site as a non-beta 'official' BIOS. Anything else I considered Beta.

It's odd that you mention 6 gig memory. I set up 6 gig in my rig to test a 64bit windows system. I know it doesn't work on 32bit. \\

Comment

At the Gigabyte site they post Beta's and Final BIOS's. The Beta's always have a letter after them. Here we post only Beta's

Comment

Working...
                            X