How to format the SSD?? Reformat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to format the SSD?? Reformat?

I took delivery of the 64G SSD today and when I plugged it into my Dell mini 9, it doesn't show up as a drive....windows can't format it....and the Acronis software does not clone it or see it as a drive. Plus, it looks to be formatted in FAT32 instead of NTFS. How do I fix all this?? I cannot get this new SSD to lok and run like a separate drive.

Re: How to format the SSD?? Reformat?

Originally posted by ytramiii View Post
    I took delivery of the 64G SSD today and when I plugged it into my Dell mini 9, it doesn't show up as a drive....windows can't format it....and the Acronis software does not clone it or see it as a drive. Plus, it looks to be formatted in FAT32 instead of NTFS. How do I fix all this?? I cannot get this new SSD to lok and run like a separate drive.
    I have a similar problem.
    Just got the 32GB version and plugged it in on x64 SP2 through USB, but it doesn't show up as a drive in "My Computer"
    Same goes for Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
    A solution would be appreciated.

- Kenneth Moestrup

Comment

Gee, same problem here with a 32GB model on both Vista and Win 7.

Comment

Try the following:

Open the Start Menu. Type "diskmgmt.msc" and hit return. If you are using Vista, you might have to confirm an UAC prompt.

Check if the SSD shows up in the Disk Management Console. If it does, everything should be alright and you should be able to delete and create partitions, format them and assign drive letters to it.

If you cannot see the drive in Disk Management, there is something seriously messed up with your hardware and you need to check your BIOS settings to make sure the BIOS identifies the drive. I cannot help you much on this however, since I don't own a Dell Mini 9.

Comment

See, then it's a problem with the documentation which implies I should be able to plug in the new drive, run Acronis to shadow the old drive, and then swap the drives. If it's not recognized without going into the management console, there's no way to do that.

Comment

Good advice....I've ran through all the disk mgt options using Windows XP sp3 and it still sees the drive as a FAT drive and will not reformat it as an NTFS drive.....plus, the formatting program runs until it reaches 99% complete and then bails for some unknown reason. For $230, I could just buy a new Mini 9 and send this drive back.....come on guys...help us determine why the drives are coming already formatted incorrectly (FAT instead of NTFS) and why Windows does not see them as they should.

BTW...I plug in any micro SD and it works without fail......same thing...just an extra drive on the machine....

Comment

Ty great support.

ytramiii - If it is recognized in Disk management you should be able to create a partition. then go to my computer and right click and go to format and try it that way. If it does not format then there may be something wrong with the SSD and you need to send it back for replacement.

Moffo - If you go to Disk Management and do not see the un-partitioned drive or any drive then you probably have a defective SSD. This does happen we have been shipping thousands of these Dell drives. You can also get to the disk manager section by going to Start - Administrative tools - Control panel - Computer Management - Disk Management

Also if you guys get your disks working but loss the Acronis software then you can run the trial version by downloading it from www.acronis.com.

These are supposed to come pre-formatted so they will show up in your My Computer section instead of having to go to disk management to partition and format.

It is also possible you both have defective drives and that s the root of your issues. I will ask the production manager.

Matt
              Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 06-01-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

My drive is fine - I put it in a system as the sole drive and Windows 7 RC installed without a hitch -- which leads me to believe that it was shipped unformatted, as I couldn't get it to show up on the desktop in a configuration where another laptop drive was visible (same cables, controller/adapter, etc.) Anyhow it's running just fine. (It's the documentation that's broken, not the hardware...) Thanks.

Comment

Windows Disk Management sees the Runcore drive. It only sees it as having 1.92 GB of availability. It won't format it...tells me that it cannot format the drive. I've called for an RMA tag....I need this drive replaced...it shouldn't be showing up like this on my system. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ytramiii View Post
                    Windows Disk Management sees the Runcore drive. It only sees it as having 1.92 GB of availability. It won't format it...tells me that it cannot format the drive. I've called for an RMA tag....I need this drive replaced...it shouldn't be showing up like this on my system. Correct?
                    Yes you definitely have a defective drive. Send it back to the place you bought it for a new one.

Matt Dawson
                    Runcore CMO
                    RunCore SSD
                    Matt Dawson CMO (RunCore) on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
                      Yes you definitely have a defective drive. Send it back to the place you bought it for a new one.

Matt Dawson
                      Runcore CMO
                      RunCore SSD
                      Matt Dawson CMO (RunCore) on Twitter

Can't he just send it to Runcore for replacement ? Why does he have to wait for a 3rd party ?

Comment

USB can be see in almost every os, can format via usb

Comment

This is the 5th yes 5th HD I've received since last February. I upgraded to the RCP-IV-P5064-C becuase I'm trying to install win 7. I have tried everything to get windows 7 installed on these drives. I've formatted the drives in many different ways and nothing works.

This latest drive I formatted (NTFS) with XP the drive shows up but as soon is I try and clone the dell drive the partition disappears (shows up as "RAW" after can't format or install). I have no problems with the original dell HD except for it being 8gb. I also have no problems with the original dell XP restore disk installs fine on both drives.

Think it's time for a refund.

Comment

My hard drive is fine - I put in the system as the only drive, and Windows 7 installed without a hitch - which leads me to believe that it was sent in plain, why not get it to appear on the desktop configuration, where the second computer run was evident (the same cable, the controller / adapter, etc.) In any case, it's going pretty well. (This documentation is faulty, not the hardware coach handbags
                            coach handbags can matched coach handbags do tell

Comment

Gee, same problem here with a 32GB model on both Vista and Win 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X