No announcement yet.

I'm New and my GA-EP45-UD3P won't POST Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm New and my GA-EP45-UD3P won't POST Help!

First I would like to say Hello everyone, This forum is amazing and has a vast wealth of knowledge. So basically I'm at my point of where my tech skills are just not enough to figure out whats wrong. I am a complete "Noobie" to Hardware diagnostics and it seems like short of having an Identical PC to swap parts your almost screwed heh.

I apologize if I don't follow the proper posting format, I found a guide while at work to follow but can't seem to find it now,(maybe its just me or maybe its hard might want to put that as sticky #1).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok all of my PC specs should be in my Sig. Unfortunatly I am unable to provide benchmarks, screenshots or, the BIOS settings b/c I am no longer able to get to the BIOS screen.

Before the system completely crashed, I had set the Ram to 2.1v (instead of the default 1.8v) and I bumped up a few others from other posts I've red on this site. The mode was set to STANDARD (instead of TURBO) and the timings at 5-5-5-15.

(How it started)
    (Ok so AMAZING friend decided to give me this PC b/c it was causing him "problems" He had to replace 2 HD's and CD/DVD drive. But I currently have a P4 OCed oldie but goodie that can't run games anymore. So this was like a godsend. Well I threw in another 250 SATA drive and installed Windows 64bit and just when I started playing games thats when $h!t hit the fan. Started gettings all kinds of BSOD's and my gut sank and just KNEW it had to be hardware. I assumed the HD so tried to do CHKDSK's and they failed to finish 90% of the time, so I decided to test the ram (since the BSOD's had alot of PAGE_FAULTS and IRQL errors) and when I took out all but 1 stick in slot 1 the PC failed to BOOT : YAY ERROR FOUND -> WRONG! : so ran Memtest86+ it worked fine PER SINGLE ram stick in slot #1 NO ERRORS and like 6-12 passes, EVEN on the supposable "bad stick" so I put all 8GBs all 4 slots back in and ran Memtest86+ on the whole thing and Randomly it would show errors. WTF???? So I decided to do some research on Memtest and found that this could be caused b/c I was using an older version of Memtest or b/c of Voltage errors, So Then I was like OK its the PSU or Voltage, so I came to these forums and tried to fix up my BIOS voltage. And a few boots later BAM NO MORE BOOTING AND NO POST nothing but black screen and reboot cycle so I went searching for a System Speaker)

The Problem: The system no longer gets to POST, just Black Screen and Reboot cycle. (Fortunatly I found a spare System Speaker) and the system with ONLY PSU+CPU+MOBO makes continuous long beeps (manual says gfx card failure WTF???) ok So I put 1 Ram Stick in slot #1 (or any other) now it does the same thing except it has continuous SHORT beeps. Manual says "Power Failure" ???? what does this mean? Failed PSU? Failed Mobo? Under voltage?? (is it always this Vague?)

I have tried to Reset the CMOS, I've tried to short the Jumpers and Remove the battery even tried to short the Battery like the Manual said.

All of the Fans and spin up and LEDS etc etc, but all I get is continuous beeps and reboots. One thing thats strange to me is it seems the CPU takes a few seconds to spin up its fan, is that normal?

So basically my next step is to either take it to a repair shop or to start buying Replacement parts (and RMA the failed stuff). But this is tough for me b/c of budget reasons.

Please help! Being completely new to Hardware problems sucks, and I don't have spare parts to swap out to test =(. What should I do?

Also what should the minimum PSU be for this type of rig? How do you calculate minimum PSU needed?

What are the symptoms of a bad PSU, CPU, and Mobo? I see this as my oppertunity to learn more about Hardware and maybe even OCing. The most I've done before is just up CPU/Ram timings.

THANK YOU!!!

Re: I'm New and my GA-EP45-UD3P won't POST Help!

Many problems are due to cables and hardware connections.

At this point you should remove your mobo from the computer case and rest it on a box or stack of books beside the case.

The Minimalist Boot:
    Disconnect everything that isn't required to boot, including:
    Hard Drives, floppy drives, cd/dvd drives
    Mouse
    All USB devices including the mouse and keyboard
    All add-in PCI cards.

You want to boot only with your cpu and heat sink, PS2 keyboard, video card and only 1 memory module. That's it.

Make sure that all cables are installed properly and fully seated, including the ATX12v 4- or 8-pin connector.

Your initial goal is to be able to get into the bios where you will immediately load OPTIMIZED bios settings and save settings and exit. If this is successful, power off your machine and install your floppy or cd/dvd drive so that you can run Memtest86+, version 2.11 on the single memory module for10 full passes or longer.

If the problems remain:

1) With your computer off, turn off the power to the psu by using the psu's on/off switch.
    2) Unplug the external power cord from the psu.
    3) Press and hold the computer case's on/off switch for 10 seconds.
    4) Leave your computer in this state for 15 minutes or longer.
    5) Hook everything back up and turn on your computer.
    You might have to perform these steps several times.

You might need to try different components:
    power supply
    video card
    memory module

Can you borrow any of these components from a friend?
    If necessary, you can try using an older pci video card.

Once your system is stable, you should apply the basic settings in this post and set your DRAM voltage to your memory's max rated speed. Save settings and exit. Perform steps 1 and 3 above, then install a second memory module in slot #3. Boot and run an extended Memtest86+ on both memory modules.

Do NOT try using all four memory modules until your system is fully stable with all your hardware connected. With 8GB of memory, you might have to run your memory at less than its full rated speed. You should NOT install your mobo into the computer case until your problems are resolved.

There are several additional troubleshooting steps you can take if there you're still having problems.

A good psu with 400+ watts should be fine for modest setups.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thank you I will try that soon as possible. (at work ^^). Maybe I can grab a mem stick from work. Altho Memtest86+ seemed to verify that the the memory is good before it crashed, I know I did like 16 passes on the one with no errors.

Forgot to mention that I did check the connections, but looks like taking the Mobo out is the only option now.

I do have a spare PCI vid card also never though of using it, thanks.

I'm not sure about a PSU though, the only ones that I might be able to get are the one's at work and they only have like 310 or 350W would that even work??? (how these little PSU's power these Dell Quad Core, 4GB is beyond me, guess it's just not the same as running a Gigabyte mobo and better memory.)

Also I forgot to ask, What should my system do when its just the CPU+MOBO+ 1 Memory
      or CPU+MOBO? Can you test a Mobo with just the CPU on it? or w/o a CPU on it? Question is what is the proper responce when theres no video output? just one beep and stays on?

you seem to have the same Mobo as me as well =P.

Comment

It should give you one beep and stay on.... well for mobo, cpu and ram anyway not sure about cpu mobo without the ram, but I would think it would be more than one beep for that.
        Last edited by Conners; 06-03-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

The Problem: The system no longer gets to POST, just Black Screen and Reboot cycle. (Fortunatly I found a spare System Speaker) and the system with ONLY PSU+CPU+MOBO makes continuous long beeps (manual says gfx card failure WTF???) ok So I put 1 Ram Stick in slot #1 (or any other) now it does the same thing except it has continuous SHORT beeps. Manual says "Power Failure" ???? what does this mean? Failed PSU? Failed Mobo? Under voltage?? (is it always this Vague?)
          Continuous short beeps are often caused by improper bios settings, especially memory timings and/or voltages.

You said that your friend had "problems" with this mobo. We don't know if there is defect with your mobo (e.g. bad memory slot, bad video card slot, etc.) or if your friend didn't get things set up correctly.

A low power psu has enough power to run your setup, but the psu's ATX12V connector might not provide enough power for your cpu. Once your system boots reliably, you want to add one component at a time and ensure that your system is still stable and doesn't have problems.

Don't overlook anything, your problem could be a caused by a borderline video cable, external psu power cable or some other component. You might need to try different motherboard slots for your video card or sata connectors for your hard drive.

And yes, the motherboard error codes are vague and sometimes misleading.
          Does your 9500GT video card require a 6-pin power connector from the psu?
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            Many problems are due to cables and hardware connections.

At this point you should remove your mobo from the computer case and rest it on a box or stack of books beside the case.

The Minimalist Boot:
            Disconnect everything that isn't required to boot, including:
            Hard Drives, floppy drives, cd/dvd drives
            Mouse
            All USB devices including the mouse and keyboard
            All add-in PCI cards.

You want to boot only with your cpu and heat sink, PS2 keyboard, video card and only 1 memory module. That's it.

Make sure that all cables are installed properly and fully seated, including the ATX12v 4- or 8-pin connector.

Your initial goal is to be able to get into the bios where you will immediately load OPTIMIZED bios settings and save settings and exit. If this is successful, power off your machine and install your floppy or cd/dvd drive so that you can run Memtest86+, version 2.11 on the single memory module for10 full passes or longer.

If the problems remain:

1) With your computer off, turn off the power to the psu by using the psu's on/off switch.
            2) Unplug the external power cord from the psu.
            3) Press and hold the computer case's on/off switch for 10 seconds.
            4) Leave your computer in this state for 15 minutes or longer.
            5) Hook everything back up and turn on your computer.
            You might have to perform these steps several times.

You might need to try different components:
            power supply
            video card
            memory module

Can you borrow any of these components from a friend?
            If necessary, you can try using an older pci video card.

Once your system is stable, you should apply the basic settings in this post and set your DRAM voltage to your memory's max rated speed. Save settings and exit. Perform steps 1 and 3 above, then install a second memory module in slot #3. Boot and run an extended Memtest86+ on both memory modules.

Do NOT try using all four memory modules until your system is fully stable with all your hardware connected. With 8GB of memory, you might have to run your memory at less than its full rated speed. You should NOT install your mobo into the computer case until your problems are resolved.

There are several additional troubleshooting steps you can take if there you're still having problems.

A good psu with 400+ watts should be fine for modest setups.
            ProfJim,

After step 2 of the 5 you listed, shouldn't he reset CMOS?
            <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
            > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
            > Chipset : Intel X99
            > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
            (NE Link)
            > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
            > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
            > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
            > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
            > Power Supply:
            >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
            Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
            >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
            > Chipset : Intel X58
            > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
            (NE Link MPP Link)
            > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
            (NE Link MPP Link)
            > HSF:
            Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
            > Physical Memory :
            >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
            >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
            > Video Card :
            >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
            NE Link)
            >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
            NE Link)
            >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
            > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
            > Monitor :
            ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
            NE Link)
            > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
            > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
            NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
            > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
            NE Link)
            > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
            > Chipset : Intel P35
            > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
            > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
            > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
            Link)
            > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
            >
            Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

Thank you for the replies and advice, I am going to be testing of this out this weekend, hopefully today as well depending on time.

As for the system my friend ordered it pre-built, from a custom company. Fairly cheap (could be why or any other reason for faulty stuff).

He never changed any Bios settings etc, and said that 2 HD's died and CD/DVD drive died also, so he got fed up with it reformatted and gave it to me =D.

I have tried reseting the CMOS various ways maybe im doing it wrong? (I did what the manual said, removed battery, used screw driver, and even left the system for 15+ min switch offed unplugged with bios bat out).

So once I am able to take all the components out of the case and try again I won't know if something touching the case is the problem.

Thank you for the info about the beeps, the bios voltage error helps narrow things down a bit if thats a possibility.

As for the 9500GT there are no cables for it, so i dunno ill have to look up the manual online, unfortunatly there were no manuals or anything other than a few spare power cables that came with the rig. Altho it is odd to me that the vid wouldn't need extra power. I'm gonna try a PCI card though anyway to rule out the vid card.

Do you think one of these 350W PSU would be enough for testing purposes to rule out the current PSU, i figured that would just cause more low power issues. Guess I just need to get my hands on a good PSU for testing.

Thanks guys! I'll have updates soon I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattkun View Post
                Thank you for the replies and advice, I am going to be testing of this out this weekend, hopefully today as well depending on time.

As for the system my friend ordered it pre-built, from a custom company. Fairly cheap (could be why or any other reason for faulty stuff).

He never changed any Bios settings etc, and said that 2 HD's died and CD/DVD drive died also, so he got fed up with it reformatted and gave it to me =D.

I have tried reseting the CMOS various ways maybe im doing it wrong? (I did what the manual said, removed battery, used screw driver, and even left the system for 15+ min switch offed unplugged with bios bat out).

So once I am able to take all the components out of the case and try again I won't know if something touching the case is the problem.

Thank you for the info about the beeps, the bios voltage error helps narrow things down a bit if thats a possibility.

As for the 9500GT there are no cables for it, so i dunno ill have to look up the manual online, unfortunatly there were no manuals or anything other than a few spare power cables that came with the rig. Altho it is odd to me that the vid wouldn't need extra power. I'm gonna try a PCI card though anyway to rule out the vid card.

Do you think one of these 350W PSU would be enough for testing purposes to rule out the current PSU, i figured that would just cause more low power issues. Guess I just need to get my hands on a good PSU for testing.

Thanks guys! I'll have updates soon I hope!
                That Video card uses less electricity than my what my hair generates when I brush it. So if the CPU and MOBO say its cool, and all you want is to see anything appear on your monitor, then go ahead and use a 350 watt PSU. For playing a 3D video game a 9500GT may require more like a 400 watt PSU but I bet 350 would be ok.
                <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
                > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
                > Chipset : Intel X99
                > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
                (NE Link)
                > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
                > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
                > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
                > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
                > Power Supply:
                >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
                Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
                >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
                > Chipset : Intel X58
                > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
                (NE Link MPP Link)
                > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
                (NE Link MPP Link)
                > HSF:
                Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
                > Physical Memory :
                >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
                >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
                > Video Card :
                >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
                NE Link)
                >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
                NE Link)
                >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
                > Monitor :
                ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
                NE Link)
                > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
                NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
                > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
                NE Link)
                > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
                > Chipset : Intel P35
                > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
                > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
                > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
                Link)
                > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
                >
                Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

After step 2 of the 5 you listed, shouldn't he reset CMOS?
                  After step #3 would be a better time to clear/reset the CMOS.
                  He's already tried this, but it won't hurt to try it again.

re: video card power cable
                  Near as I can tell some 9500gt cards have the 6-pin connector and some don't. This tells me that some cards require a separate power connection and others don't.

You can also test your 9500GT in the 2nd video card slot on your mobo. Until you can enter your bios, you won't be able to select the option for Init Display First, this might not be a problem with only one video card installed.
                  What should my system do when its just the CPU+MOBO+ 1 Memory
                  Ideally your system will post properly and let you enter the bios, where you should immediately load OPTIMIZED settings and then save settings and exit. At this point, you should re-enter the bios and incrase the DRAM voltage so that you can then add the second memory module.

Whenever I add or remove hardware from my system, I always power off the system, switch off the psu, and then depress the computer's on/off switch for 5 - 10 seconds (steps 1 & 3 from post #2). Then and only then will I perform any hardware changes.

Comment

Just a on the gx card.
                    9500gt is the highest spec Nvidia card that doesnt need a seperate 6 pin connector just as the older 8600gt was .
                    Some 9500 manufacturers recommend a 400w +psu some dont.
                    I recommended a friend of mine get a 9500gt he has a 350w psu dell which has no seperate gx connector.
                    He just wanted a middle of the road ddr3 and is happy enough with it.
                    I run a 9600gt heh the lowest spec Nvidia card that needs a seperate 6 pin connector but card performance is only slightly better than 9500..

The pci slots have a maximum power rating of 75w,I think the 9500 in standard form goes up to 55w(depending on manufacturer).If you overclock it its going to drain more power,somemanufacturers may put in a slightly more power hungry fan,you may have other pci cards draining a little power etc.

Oh I did burn out my power supply on a packard bell by using a 8600gt(overclocked) in place of the original gx card, I assumed the pc would be good .The psu I discovered was only rated 200w so my own fault on that one..fortunately the psu was the only thing that blew.
                    Thats awhile ago tho.
                    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

You guys are awesome I can't wait to get home and start trying some solutions.

I'm very impressed by all the specific knowledge of Wattage etc. That helps me enormously if not in fixing my comp but to at least educate myself about it. I guess I need to learn how to find and read tech specs like W's and Voltage more. I have always lacked confidance in knowing exactly how to match hardware other than the Buss speed and clock timings. One of the reasons I only OC'ed my old P4 2.8 to 3.1 long ago when P4 was awesome =D.

BTW as for those steps about Power off, switch off and push button to discharge the accumulated power, just so everyone knows I've been doing that since umm probably my 2nd PC I built about 5 years go, So Ive got that covered!. However I do still worry about static charges, I try my best to be touching the metal caseing, and usually have rubber shoes on most of the time anyway.

I really hope its the PSU, but I suspect the Mobo, but that could just be b/c Mobos are just more mysterious lol or rather more areas can break on it.

Now to convince work to let me borrow a PC so I can use its PSU lol

Comment

Updates yay.

Ok so I finnaly got to work on this pc again.

1. Took everything out of the case and put on cardboard type surface.
                        2. Found a 420W PSU and started testing!
                        Ok im not sure if this caused any problems but the Mobo as you most know has a 8pin additional power port, and the ATX is 4 ports larger than this older PSU has. I dunno if that would cause power problems, I have put together systems like this before and everything seemed to work fine, but just wanted to ask you guys to cover all my bases.

Results for all test: Still continues beeping and no Post. and "reboot" loop.

I tried testing with no video card, tried with video card, tryed with only the ATX plugged in and the CPU fan wouldn't even spin up (obviously it didn't have enough power right?).

Ok so now my question is this the end of the road, Is it the CPU or the Mobo, or was the 420W not a good test? What part should I RMA?

If the company that my friend got the PC from has a warranty can I send the CPU attached to the Mobo and get them back fully functional???

Looks like this might be the end of the road

Comment

I have a few questions:

Did I read correctly that the machine once worked fine? But that then it started giving your friend trouble, so he gave it to you? At what point did it start to give him problems? Had he ever "tweaked" it himself? If so, can he tell you what he did to it?

Was this machine built or canned? In other words, did your friend go somewhere and use a web-app to select components for the machine which was then put together and sent to him; or, did he buy it at a box store ready to go?

Regarding the 4+4 CPU Power, you said that the PSU that you used to test it only had one 4 pin connector; what did the PSU in the case have? Was the 4+4 filled?

When you took out the guts and set them up outside of the case, did you first clear the CMOS before you plugged everything in and turned it on? As a side note, I have found with my EP45-UD3P that simply unplugging the PSU for a prolonged period of time tends to reset the BIOS to default. Maybe its just me.

Now that it is sitting on a table or somesuch and easily visible, have you checked it closely front and back to see if there are any obvious signs of damage? Scorch marks? Gashes? Scratches? Broken slots?

Reaching here, but sometimes its all in the details.
                          Originally posted by Alex St. John
                          Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
                          Originally posted by Psycho101
                          Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
                          Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Comment

Here is basically the exact PC he bought pre-built from a semi-custom website:
                            Psystar's Online Store - Open Computing Solutions featuring Mac OS X Leopard, Windows and Linux

They have a decent reputation but not a great one.

My friend doesn't tweak or overclock what so ever so I know it probably wasn't something he did. He said that he eventually started having problems with first the CD drive failing, then 2 HDDs. I don't know how long it was working but I doubt for very long I could check his reciept to guestimate though.

------------------------------------

The original PSU had the new larger ATX plug, and it fit the full 4x2 (eight pin) port by the CPU. (is this just extra power for the cpu? just curious i love to learn as much as possible).

I didn't see any burn or other obvious damage but I will check again, the the whole system looks like it just came out of the box w/o a spot on it.

------------------------------

I did not first clear the CMOS but the case has been unplugged for days, and as stated earlier I have tired to clear the CMOS many times with seemingly no luck. (but then again i wouldn't know b/c it hasn't even gotten past a black/blank screen).

---------

Ok I unplugged the PSU and all power to board and headed to be, lets see if that does anything.

Thanks, I'm glad to see more people with the same Mobo. I wonder if its the CPU or mobo , will I ever know?

Comment

At this point, the only sure-fire way to determine the problem is to:
                              1) test your mobo with another processor that is known to be good and
                              2) test your processor in another system that is currently working

Later today (Saturday) I'm going to test my system:
                              1) boot with a bad memory module
                              2) boot with no memory installed
                              3) boot with the monitor cable disconnected
                              4) boot without a video card
                              5) boot with no hard drives or floppy drives
                              6) boot without a keyboard or mouse
                              7) boot with a faulty monitor (fuse is probably blown)
                              8) boot with my 8-pin ATX_12v cable disconnected (I'm pretty sure what will happen here)
                              9) any other tests I can think of that might duplicate your problem (suggestions are encouraged)

This will provide useful info to hopefully assist you and others.

Right now my mobo is beside my computer case so that I can apply Arctic Ceramique to my North-bridge to see if it lowers temperatures. This makes it much easier for me to do these tests. Hopefully I'll be able to report my results by later tonight.

I'm going to note the mobo's errors to see how a working setup reacts to each of these tests.

I don't have a psu with a 4-pin ATX_12v connector to test with and I don't have a faulty psu or cpu to try.

Several forum members with similar problems succeeded when they repeated steps 1 - 5 from post #2 several times. One member succeeded on the 5th try.

**edit** It looks like your system has a one year warranty, but you'll have to pay for shipping. If you need to send them your complete system, fully assembled, you'll need to consider these costs and decide what your best option will be.
                              Last edited by profJim; 06-13-2009, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X