GA-MA770-UD3 USB flash drive freezing POST screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA770-UD3 USB flash drive freezing POST screen

Hello, I am having an ongoing problem where having an A-Data C803 4gb USB flash drive inserted in a USB port will sometimes cause my system to freeze during POST until the device is removed, at which point the POST will continue normally.

This is a problem because I've made the flash drive into a bootable device using Win 98 system files and I am using it for the purpose of flashing my video card BIOS for overclocking. Simply booting up without the flash drive connected defeats the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish.

The freezing does not happen all the time; the problem is intermittent. It doesn't matter if it is plugged into a USB port on the front of my case or on the motherboard IO panel.

Here are my system specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Kuma @ 3.33 GHz
    Motherboard: GA-MA770-UD3 BIOS revison F5
    Reference Clock: 267 MHz
    HT Link: 1869 MHz
    NB Frequency: 2136 MHz
    Memory: 2x2GB G.Skill F2-8500CL5 @ 1068 MHz

I can supply voltages and whatnot if that is required.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this before? Could my overclock has something to do with it? Or could it simply just be a bad USB drive?

Re: GA-MA770-UD3 USB flash drive freezing POST screen

I have a GA-EP45t-DS3R board and it won't let me boot with a Western Digital 320 GB USB drive attached.
    However, it has no problem booting with either of my Corsair USB thumb drives (a 4 GB and a 32 GB) attached.

You might see if you can borrow another brand of thumb drive and see if that is the case.
    Case: Cooler Master Sniper
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750
    UPS: APC CS 500
    CPU: Intel QX9650 3.00 GHZ Cooler: Xigmatek Black Knight
    MB : Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R Rev 1 Bios:F2 Bus:333
    Ram: 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 Corsair XMS TW3X4G1600C9DHX (9 9 9 24 1.8V ver 3.2)
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia 8800 GTX 768 MB
    HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA
    DVD: Memorex CD/DVD Writer 52X/32X/16X
    Display: Sharp LC-42D72U 42 in LCD 60Hz
    Misc: Seagate 300GB SATA Drive in Kingwin hot swap module (used for image backups)

Comment

Sounds good, going to pick up a 4GB Sony Micro Vault today, and failing that will borrow a Kingston Data Traveler from a co-worker next week.

Small update, I did load my optimized default BIOS configuration with no overclock, and the problem persisted, so I don't think it's the OC that is causing the problem.

Comment

Heyo,

Just wanted to say that I've not had any problems at all using a Sony Micro Vault in place of the a-Data stick. Guess it was just a bad flash drive!

Comment

Working...
        X