PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

.... even during a simulation. Have tried different burning software. (Nero 6, Nero 9 and Ultra ISO)

Replaced 450Watt PSU with 500W- same problem
    Replaced DVD Drive - same problem.

Updated BIOS to latest
    Updated DVD Drive Firmware to latest

Have had the CPU, Motherboard and Memory all replaced by the supplier (Ebuyer - they are great) - same Problem

Changed Hard Disk (I was getting desperate) - same problem.

MB: Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200
    MEM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (4GB)
    DVD: LiteOn LH-20A1P

Crucial website mentions no problems with these 2.0V memory modules running on a board that is expecting 1.8v Memory.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Paul

Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

It would be good to see if your memory is "falling over" during an intensive task.

If you have another PC, burn the memtest iso to Cdr Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and run.

If you have Vista, you can use the Vista built in memory diagnostics found in the Administrative menu.

It is possible you will fine 4GB of memory in your board failing at the motherboard default setup and it's possible too, that just one installed stick of ram would prove that point (and work).
    So ideally you need to check your ram with one of the methods I've listed above.
    Then if it is showing errors, you may need to manually increase the DDR2 voltage and if you have it, disable the bios setting "Performance Enhance" in the MIT section.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-21-2009, 06:42 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcan View Post
      .... even during a simulation. Have tried different burning software. (Nero 6, Nero 9 and Ultra ISO)

Replaced 450Watt PSU with 500W- same problem
      Replaced DVD Drive - same problem.

Updated BIOS to latest
      Updated DVD Drive Firmware to latest

Have had the CPU, Motherboard and Memory all replaced by the supplier (Ebuyer - they are great) - same Problem

Changed Hard Disk (I was getting desperate) - same problem.

MB: Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
      CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200
      MEM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (4GB)
      DVD: LiteOn LH-20A1P

Crucial website mentions no problems with these 2.0V memory modules running on a board that is expecting 1.8v Memory.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Paul
      do you have a spare cd/dvd burner to try??? could be faulty drive check your sata/ide cable is firmly plugged in also best to fully uninstall nero and do fresh install,ahhh just read uve tried new drive i use a lite on too there good drives and i used to have trouble with nero from time to time so id try re-installing it
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
        It would be good to see if your memory is "falling over" during an intensive task.

If you have another PC, burn the memtest iso to Cdr Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and run.
        OK, I've got that running now.... have also used prime95 for 7 hours yesterday while I was out which did not show up any errors.

If you have Vista, you can use the Vista built in memory diagnostics found in the Administrative menu.
        Win XP SP3

]It is possible you will fine 4GB of memory in your board failing at the motherboard default setup and it's possible too, that just one installed stick of ram would prove that point (and work).
        Will try that after the memtest, although I did try that with the previous two memory sticks.

So ideally you need to check your ram with one of the methods I've listed above.
        Then if it is showing errors, you may need to manually increase the DDR2 voltage and if you have it, disable the bios setting "Performance Enhance" in the MIT section.
        I Can't find a way of increasing the DDR2 Voltage in the BIOS, and my MIT section doesn't have a "Performance Enhance" option.

The memtest (and BIOS) shows the DDR2 as being 5-5-5-18, but the memory spec (on the website) says it should be 4-4-4-12 ? IS that relevant ? If so, do I just change those figures in the BOIS, or is there something else I should do to accomodate the change?
        Last edited by paulcan; 09-22-2009, 04:38 AM. Reason: QUOTE tags incorrect

Comment

Sounds like a ram issue. You definatly want to set your ram settings manually. Even try jerking one ram stick out and just run with one and see what happens. But U should still set the correct timmings and voltages. Do you have a spare video card also? Maybe try it to at a seperate time. but do the ram first.
          Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
          Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
          Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
          Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
          Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
          G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
          2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
          Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
          2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
          Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
          Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
          ------------------------------------------------
          Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
          ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
          Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
          Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
          Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
          NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
          1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
          Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
          Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
            do you have a spare cd/dvd burner to try??? could be faulty drive check your sata/ide cable is firmly plugged in also best to fully uninstall nero and do fresh install,ahhh just read uve tried new drive i use a lite on too there good drives and i used to have trouble with nero from time to time so id try re-installing it
            I reinstalled everything. XP SP2 (same problem) and then XP SP3 (same problem)

Apart from this one issue, the machine runs perfectly ok.

Comment

Since you changed almost everything except CPU and you claim ram is OK.
              What kind of hard drive and burner do you have, IDE/SATA?
              Are there any conflicts in windows device manager?
              Just trying to think of new things to look at.

Comment

That's a good point, what type of interface had the drive got ide/sata etc and depending on your mptherboard (and I'm not familiar specifically with yours) what sata interface (if your drive is sata) are you using?

It would be handy to save me time ;) if you can post a link to the GB page of your motherboard (uk site is fine, because thats where I am and I see your in the UK too) and also state what board revision you have.

As far as the ram goes, the higher the timing values the more relaxed the ram is running, so In most cases running DDR2 say at 5-5-5-18 is better for fault finding than running at the tighter and better performance giving 4-4-4-12.

But before altering voltage, it is wise to fully memtest the RAM, but there can be instances where although the RAM will work with memtest, in another enviroment where say the PSU is loaded up, the RAM's supply may suffer and if on the threshold of working correctly, may just "dip" below that threshold and "fall over".
                GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Memtest showed up no errors. Have tried each memory module in each of the slots both individually and together.

GA-M61PME-S2P Rev 1.0
                  MB Page: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-M61PME-S2P (rev. 1.0)

CD/DVD is an IDE

HD: Seagate ST380815AS Barracuda 7200 8MB SATA II

I have since found out that there is apparently no way to change the voltage on this Motherboard:

Gigabyte M61PME-S2 Motherboard | Hardware Secrets

I downloaded the Gigabyte Easy Tune utility and the "Tune" part is greyed out.

Am thinking of just getting 2GB of 1.8v to see if that helps.

Comment

Before thinking about changing the ram or altering it's settings (if you can), how many passes with all 4GB of ram installed did you make with memtest? I assume you did use version 2.11?

Have you anything else on the IDE interface? If it's the only drive are you using a flat or round data cable, or the one supplied by GB. Is it the 80 conductor 40 pin type? Is the drive say set to it's default jumper setting, ie often shipped as master?

In windows are there any conflicts in device manager?

What mode is the drive in (in device manager ie ultra dma 2/4 etc) also is DMA checked? (I can't remember the exact wording as i haven't used xp for a little while)
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

If you are passing Memtest86+ and Prime, then no need to change the memory. That memory should run fine at 1.8V with the timings set by JEDEC at 555-15.

I did check in your BIOS and you are correct, no voltage adjustments for memory

Are you using Ganged or Unganged? Have you tried it the other way around?

It very well could just be this drive is not functioning properly or is not compatible with your board, can you test it in another system and can you test another drive in your system?

Did you install the latest chipset drivers?

Comment

VorlonUK:

how many passes with all 4GB of ram installed did you make with memtest? I assume you did use version 2.11?
                        Just the one pass, I'll set it away again tonight, so should get approx 7 hours worth. Version 2.11 as you recommended.

Have you anything else on the IDE interface?
                        No

If it's the only drive are you using a flat or round data cable, or the one supplied by GB.
                        Have tried all these, a round cable, another flat one supplied by GB (in the MB box) and another I had "lying around" from another older GB board.

Is it the 80 conductor 40 pin type?
                        Not sure how that would look compared to an "ordinary one".

Is the drive say set to it's default jumper setting, ie often shipped as master?
                        This one was shipped to Slave, but I changed it to master.

In windows are there any conflicts in device manager?
                        None

What mode is the drive in (in device manager ie ultra dma 2/4 etc) also is DMA checked?
                        Will find out (I only have one monitor and must switch this machine off to change between VGA and DVI).

LSDMEASAP:

Are you using Ganged or Unganged? Have you tried it the other way around?
                        I'm sorry, I have no idea what this means.

It very well could just be this drive is not functioning properly or is not compatible with your board, can you test it in another system and can you test another drive in your system?
                        Have tried the drive in my (working) system (a GA-KTV800 Pro) and it worked fine - tried the one in my working system (an HP) with the GA-M61PME and it did the same - ie powered off after 20 secs or so of a burning simulation.

I should perhaps also mention that I have tried burning different things, to different media (DVD and CD) both for real and in simulation. The system always powers off after roughly the same amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Did you install the latest chipset drivers?
                          Yes I did - originally the problem was reported to the supplier who took the CPU, MB and memory back and replaced them with entirely new identical items. In the meantime, Gigabyte released new chipset drivers, I was overjoyed and thought this would sort out the problem. It didn't.

Comment

It would be interesing to se what mode windows had put it in and if DMA is enabled.
                            However I have found similiar stories on the net in relation to the IDE interface with Nvidia chipsets causing coasters when burning a CD/DVD as the PC shuts down.

So with this in mind and seeing you've checked quite a few things that appear to be OK, it might be worth focusing on the IDE side of things. Either you could try:-

1) Different bios settings, such as turning "IDE Prefetch Mode" off ie disabled

2) Trying different Nvidia drivers.

3) Or as Dvd/cd drives are relatively cheap these days and if you don't need to use the 2nd sata port, try an sata cd/dvd drive. The only draw back you'll have with that, is that some utilities using certain boot loaders won't boot from sata drives.

4) Downgrade the ide cable! A number of years ago the 40pin/40 conductor cable was upgraded so it could do speeds of greater than 33MB/s (UDMA 2), so an extra 40 conductors were added all connected to ground and all inserted inbetween the data cables. The cable conductor sizes became smaller to accomodate the greater mass.
                            Well since then most IDE interfaces check for the 80 conductor cable and if it's not present they will make sure the Bios selects UDMA 2, whereas normally it would be set at say UDMA 4 (for dvd) and a hard drive at UDMA 5 or 6.
                            The cables you normally buy today are the 80 conductor type as of course everyone wants optimal speed.
                            However if it is an IDE chipset bug that can be resolved (as i've been reading) from slowing the interface down to UDMA 2 (33MB/s), which in reality is fast enough for a DVD/CD drive, then it might be worth it.
                            All you'll need to do is find a 40pin/40 conductor cable which may be a little tricky these days.
                            I'll see if i can see any about as it would help to troubleshoot to see if infact it is an ide bug.

Other suggestions:-
                            5) Remove the IDE channel from device manage, rather than disable, reboot and allow windows to install it's generic driver than use the nForce one.

6) Try using the latest Nforce driver from Nvidia rather than using the Gigabyte Package.

7) Try changing DVD drive jumper from slave or master to CS (cable Select).

Hopefully theres a few things you can try - probably best start off with the quick and easy checks first :)
                            Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

It would be interesing to se what mode windows had put it in and if DMA is enabled.......
                              Yes, Ultra Mode 4 - but that got me thinking, what of PIO ? - Blimey, it sailed through the simulation - only at 8 x speed, but at least it worked!

So with this in mind and seeing you've checked quite a few things that appear to be OK, it might be worth focusing on the IDE side of things. Either you could try:-

1) Different bios settings, such as turning "IDE Prefetch Mode" off ie disabled
                              Tuned back to UDMA 4 and disabled prefetch - back to shutting down.

2) Trying different Nvidia drivers.
                              A brief google search showed up a couple of bad links to those drivers and another couple of (maybe unwarranted) scare stories about NVidia IDE drivers in general.

3) Or as Dvd/cd drives are relatively cheap these days and if you don't need to use the 2nd sata port, try an sata cd/dvd drive. The only draw back you'll have with that, is that some utilities using certain boot loaders won't boot from sata drives.
                              To be honest, I was a gnats whisker away from just buying a different "everything" again.

4) Downgrade the ide cable! .......as i've been reading from slowing the interface down to UDMA 2 (33MB/s), which in reality is fast enough for a DVD/CD drive, then it might be worth it.
                              In a world obsessed by speed and recently dominated by SATA drives, what kind of a horder keeps old ide cables in a box and writes "ATA 33" on the oldest ones.... um ... oh hang on - that'll be me! I have just the cable

Wow, what a counter intuitively brilliant IDEa (sorry, bad pun) - works like a dream, DVD burning now up to 16x speed while back to UDMA - perfectly good enough for my customer's modest needs.

VorLonUK - you are a genius of the highest order and have saved me loads of time & best of all, money. Plus, I have learned a thing or two on the way. After three weeks of trying to work this out, you sorted it in a couple of days.

I'm coming here again.

Thanks also to everyone else for jumping in, I have never come across such an equally authorative and helpful crowd on a forum. If there's ever anything I can do in return, just let me know,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X