Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock 870 Extreme3 suddenly wont boot or beep - cms clear does nothing

Hi,

I recently built a new pc and everything was dandy till today. Last night the system was working great (and had been for about a week). I left it on in the lounge and went to bed. Now I came home from work and it was shut-down. So I turned it back on and it does not get to the bios screen, nor beep. There is no signal coming from the video card (tried both HDMI and regular vid out ports).

The LED is cycling on 00, d0, d1, d3, c7

I have attempted:

1. cms clear a few times
    2. removed power for a few mins
    3. removed all RAM and turned on (it acted as expected with a lot of beeping)
    4. Moved the RAM to the other slots one at a time.
    5. One stick of RAM gave me LED code 64 (could not cms clear)
    6. Two sticks gave me LED 60 (could not cms clear)
    7. Three sticks (in different slots) gave the starting error again

All the power cables are confirmed in place and all fans and CPU/GPU fans are running as normal.

I cant find any information on this type of error anywhere and any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. Really odd this "just happened".

System:
    Asrock 870 EXTREME 3
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T
    Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
    Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K3/6G
    M12II Seasonic 520W
    Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD20EARS, 2TB
    Samsung SH-B083L

Thanks for your time

Re: AsRock 870 Extreme3 suddenly wont boot or beep - cms clear does nothing

This is showing the post codes from ASRock P45X3 Deluxe, but should be the same or similar as yours:
    Post Code Master - AST BIOS POST Codes

Comment

CPU Init Error. Try removing all the ram and discharge all power "CMOS battery too in some cases". Once the system is totally discharged put a single stick of ram into Bank 4 "last memory bank on board if more" clear CMOS reconnect power to system and boot it. If this fails try another PSU. Most CPU Init error are bad voltage. Could be a bad PSU or bad power relay on the motherboard itself.

Comment

Thanks reptile_spot, I will try this when I get home. Though I really think I did this already, but just coincidently when shuffling the RAM around. When you say clear cmos with power off, I assume you mean the full release of the cmos memory pin?

Hi eddi, yes these are the same codes as my board. I just don't know what CPU Init Error means, or why it cycles.

I will update later when I try the RAM in far slot and full cmos clear.

Comment

CPU Initialization Error can be caused by several things. Of them 3 are really user serviceable. One bad PSU & Second one I already posted above soft CMOS reset & the last is almost the same trick as the one listed above but takes about 2 hrs. Put a stick of Memory in Bank 4, Boot system, Let it post / error out. Discharge and remove all power cables from system, remove battery from system, & clear CMOS by jumper and switch. Now let it sit with no power of any kind for 2 hours. Even tap the power button on your case again to make sure some of the mobos caps are discharged. CPU Init is a more annoying thing to trouble shoot since the BIOS gets halted before it can load. Hope this works for you.

Comment

Hi,

So I did as reptile_spot stated below and it seems to have work when I waited about 2 hours to drain the residual charge from the motherboard.

Really weird issue / bug and I am now going to update the bios from 1.50 to 1.60. Maybe that has something to do with the problem.

Thanks for your help reptile_spot, appreciated.

Matblack

Comment

Hi again,

So I upgraded last night and again , everything was fine for the few hours I was up.

I came home from work to hear the motherboard beeping loadly like a smoke alarm. THe code was 37.

I reset and the system booted as normal back to windows. Then a few seconds in there was massive graphical distortion over the whole screen so I booted.

Then it was stuck on code 03.

So I turned it off, removed the power, reset the cmos pin and rebooted.

Now we are back to square one - cycling on 00, d0, d1, d3, c7.

Does this look like a PSU issue, or a motherboard issue? Is there anyway besides forking out for more parts to figure out what is up here? Something has to be faulty to do this twice.

Thanks again

Comment

I cleared the cmos and drained the power for a while with slot 4 ram and it's up again.

But for how long?

Rather frustrating "feature".

Comment

Sorry for the wait I've been away on family. If it started again try this. If you can manage to boot into BIOS check your voltages. Make sure they are within 10% of operating range for your current hardware makeup. If you can't get into BIOS to check this you'll need to play with another PSU. If it still fails then The board is at fault.* P.S. If you have a Multimeter you can also use it to check your PSU voltage. BUT PLEASE Do not try this if your unsure how! There are lots of tutorials online to do this. But there are risk. So be careful.

Comment

Hi reptile_spot,

No problem on the delay.

I think I found the problem last week. I did some memory tests because the sudden graphics distortions and reboot hinted at bad RAM to me.

And yes, I found one stick of bad RAM, so I took that out and have not had an incident since, the motherboard has been rock solid since to be fair.

So I guess bad RAM was the root cause, but incoherent de-bug codes and ridiculous restore methods made it a motherboard issue.

Thanks for your help all the same reptile_spot, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X