How to update DELL 6500 with mSATA SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to update DELL 6500 with mSATA SSD

Recently, I saw mSATA SSD words poped up in many forums, eg, Intel 310 mSATA, RENICE X3 mSATA SSD, Samsung PM800 mSATA . I have a computer DELL precision M6500 which has a slot can fit the SSD, After comparing, i bought one pc Renice X3 120GBmSATA from B2CIT to update my computer,what's the real performace for Renice mSATA, Let's experince it together

The Package with Pvc box ,and with the accessories : an instructions leaflet and two pcs screws .

Following are the whole process how to install Renice mSATA SSD into the PC.

The back side view for DELL M6500

We need first disassemble the FCM drive from the shown position, then put Renice mSATA SSD In.

FCM drive has been took out , then we put Renice mSATA SSD In.

we need to fix Renice mSATA SSD well with the Screws.

RENICE SSD well done in stallation

OK, Installation is done, Next what we need to do is to install the win7 OS, And we set Renice mSATA SSD as primary Drive.

Let's restart the computer after WIN7 os installation is over

Wow, The booting time just less than 25 seconds, i am so Flattered

Ok, Everything is one, Let's see the real performation for this 120GB Renice mSATA SSD.

First , let's check it with Win 7 Score Syetem

Incredible, The primary hard drive gain 7.8 points, As far we know , the highest score for the HDD is 5 points. It really good.

Then lets check the R/W Speed with ATTO DISK BENCHMARK.

This is my first time to update my computer with SSD, i am so happy with the performance.Not only the booting time. But the R/W Speed drive both go beyond obviously on the traditional hard drive.

Re: How to update DELL 6500 with mSATA SSD

Hi there

I have dell M4500, Does that Renice mSATA also fit my pc?

Comment

I think that transport protocols should be the same, but not sure. You can consult Renice official website.

Comment

Hi, Nice Job! It big helpful for me!
        Recently, i am looking for upgrade solution for my computer, is the same with you.
        BTW, what is capacity did you installed? I just want a small capacity,maybe 30GB as optional system disk.

Comment

Originally posted by floriankaze View Post
          I think that transport protocols should be the same, but not sure. You can consult Renice official website.
          I visit Renice offical website, there shows it is ok to update M4500 with mSATA SSD

So Could you recommend me where i can buy Renice mSATA ?

Comment

I've been looking for this drive as well and sold out everywhere. I did my pre order on asiatechtrade.com my invoice tells me that they will have stock this Tuesday. They also confirmed me after an email exchange that the Renice X3 50mm mSATA Mini SATA 120GB is back in stock again on the 24th of May. I ordered this for my Lenovo x220, I've seen good reviews about Renice. You can choose your device while ordering, I guess they do this for compatibility reasons.

Comment

i bought Renice 120GB mSATA SSD from one China wholesale store b2cit.com by paypal . they have shipped it to me on tuesday. i will share some reviews while i do some testing.

Comment

What is the size of the screw that hold the mini card? My M6500 didn't have anything in the FCM slot.Where can I buy these screws?

Comment

Thanks, these step-by-step instructions were very helpful! I followed them and upgraded my Dell Precision M4500 from the 64BG mSATA SSD that came with it to the Renice 120GB mSATA SSD.

One question though. You mention in one step: "we set Renice mSATA SSD as primary Drive." I couldn't find an option to do that. I have a 320GB secondary standard hard drive for data, and it always showed up as the primary hard drive. How can I make the Renice drive the primary drive. (I'm running latest Bios version A08.)

I went ahead with the installation, but after 25 minutes of installing and rebooting to complete the installation, the installer gave me the error message "Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware." I read up on it at Dell Notebook and Desktop System Image Support for Advanced Format Hard Drives | Dell and An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available, tried loading the Intel drivers during setup, tried installing from Dell media rather than a Microsoft disk, but I never could get it working. Finally, I put the old 64GB SSD in the SATA carrier, removed my data drive, and just used CloneZilla (Clonezilla - About) to copy my old 64GB drive to the new 120GB Renice drive. That worked.

In retrospect, though, I wonder if the problem was that I didn't make the Renice mSATA SSD the primary drive until I had to remove my 320GB secondary standard hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by poelmanc View Post
                    Thanks, these step-by-step instructions were very helpful! I followed them and upgraded my Dell Precision M4500 from the 64BG mSATA SSD that came with it to the Renice 120GB mSATA SSD.

One question though. You mention in one step: "we set Renice mSATA SSD as primary Drive." I couldn't find an option to do that. I have a 320GB secondary standard hard drive for data, and it always showed up as the primary hard drive. How can I make the Renice drive the primary drive. (I'm running latest Bios version A08.)

I went ahead with the installation, but after 25 minutes of installing and rebooting to complete the installation, the installer gave me the error message "Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware." I read up on it at Dell Notebook and Desktop System Image Support for Advanced Format Hard Drives | Dell and An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available, tried loading the Intel drivers during setup, tried installing from Dell media rather than a Microsoft disk, but I never could get it working. Finally, I put the old 64GB SSD in the SATA carrier, removed my data drive, and just used CloneZilla (Clonezilla - About) to copy my old 64GB drive to the new 120GB Renice drive. That worked.

In retrospect, though, I wonder if the problem was that I didn't make the Renice mSATA SSD the primary drive until I had to remove my 320GB secondary standard hard drive.
                    I have the same problem with my M6500. I can't install Windows on my Mushkin M-Sata Atlas Deluxe. Did you solve it on your M4500?

Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X